IGNORED

What if...

Andrew Davie

For what it's worth, I believe Elektronite may re-release their Intellivision version of Boulder Dash (and/or a version for the Amico), which probably comes from making an agreement with the new IP holders. I don't know if it is advisable for AtariAge (or Andrew & Thomas?) to cooperate with another publisher of a different version in negotiations, or if all such contracts should be held separately.

Technically I don't know what the current engine is programmed to do, but I remember that Boulder Dash II may contain elements and functionality not present in the first game. This showcased itself by a myriad of level hacks on e.g. the C64 (and probably Atari 8-bit too) using the old BD1 engine while First Star commercially sold BD2. One of those hacks even got as far as FSS bought the rights and released it as BD3, though using an older engine than they already had.

Based on the cover art uploaded to Mobygames, they have ~21 editions of Boulder Dash (though not the 2600 version). Out of those, 13 feature the classic artwork with Rockford holding a diamond. The rest are split into 6 radically different designs including the NES which makes it look far more dangerous than the game really is.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/boulder-dash/cover-art

I haven't followed the reasons why the Atari 2600 version has yet another cover art, but I suppose there is a good reason why it doesn't adhere to one of the existing ones. That is a thought for a re-release, to make one with the classic cover art if possible (again Elektronite managed to do it).

It doesn't seem to me that doing a new release would be going against anything that was originally said. People knew that the limited release was because of the negotiation with the IP holder, right? It's only logical to assume that if that situation changed then more could be made (with a different box/artwork to distinguish for collectors of the original).

I like the idea of a new title screen, perhaps new graphics and colours (fixing Thomas's preferred 'dark colours' to something a bit 'nicer', for example ;) ).

This and a DPC+ enhanced rewrite sound great! Why not make the graphics and gameplay even better than before, kind of like how the current demo of Aardvark far surpasses the earlier one that was released. But I don't really have a say on the matter because I wasn't one of the buyers of the original limited release.

As a first edition owner, I'd love for there to be a second edition. I wouldn't mind even if it was exactly the same. I want to talk about how great this game is without feeling bad for people who don't have the chance to play it!

When I bought it I wasn't aware of any assurances of limitation, only that it was very unlikely that First Star and the developers would agree on any further licensing deal. If any stronger assurances were made then I think they should be honoured on principle.

• Like 2

Original owner here. I have zero issues with a re-release. I hope it happens, actually! And if you decide to use a new label to differentiate it from the original run I would gladly offer my two entries that didn't make the cut during the label contest. Or we could have another label contest! :-D

post-3314-0-40013300-1552756375.png

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I watched Boulder Dash on ZeroPageHomeBrew Twitch.... wat an amazing game and what an amazing background story!!!

I'm happy to hear that owners of the original game responded here that they wouldn't mind a re-issue, as one day I would really love to play this game on my '2600.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that Andrew and Thomas will be able to work it out with the new company owning Boulder Dash.

And hopefully also a cart-only option will become available ?

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

If the idea is for original owners to maintain value, and I believe that’s a good idea, and let more players play the game, also a good idea, why not sell the rights to atgames  for their next flashback.  Also other home brew makers can do the same and make some Money and more retro gamers can play them. 

3 hours ago, agb said:

If the idea is for original owners to maintain value, and I believe that’s a good idea, and let more players play the game, also a good idea, why not sell the rights to atgames  for their next flashback.  Also other home brew makers can do the same and make some Money and more retro gamers can play them. 

The value of the game is what I paid for it. I just don’t understand the desire to cater to video game speculators, whomever they might be.

As an “original” owner, I say rerelease away. I’ve bought all of the latter-day First Star releases for the 2600 and 5200, and they’re all excellent.