IGNORED

Is it amazing that a 25 year old computer still works?

I think it highly unlikely Windows 10 will support anything that old without serious jiggering. I am not familiar enough with x86 to know if it supports trapping bad instructions for emulation in a library. As I understand, Windows 10 relies upon instructions and registers which are not available in anything over a certain age. As it and processor technology ages I suspect it will be optimized for certain characteristics which are introduced along the way, even if it can only go back so far.

Well wtf? I've seen individuals short, then force more current through them, then explode as expected. But for 26 to go bad in one shot? Why'd that happen?

Did someone reverse the polarity or overvoltage a supply rail or something, weaken them, let them sit, then power on = poof?

have no clue of the history of the board, AFAIK it was sitting in a plastic tub out in someone's garage for 2 decades, then I go and plug a 400 watt ATX supply (with an AT adapter) in and fireworks

to be fair I got the entire tub and everything else worked fine, so imagine my surprise and the language I used when I hit that board ... I replaced them with ceramics since they were only 10uf and it now works fine

Sounds like a fun project for someone, then -- Windows 10 on a 486 :D

Oh man....that reminds me of my Dad trying to run Windows on a way old computer. I can't remember if it was Windows 3.1 on an 8088 or 95. I just remember it took 10 minutes to boot.

Windows 10 on a 486. My nine year old i7 laptop sounds like a jet running W10 and was slow. One would have to be a masochist to try a procesdor that old.

Edited by Gamemoose

There's a video of LGR running MS-DOS on a a Ryzen cpu lol

I run DOS 6.22 all the time on my FX and i7 machines

not to actually run programs and whatnot but sometimes its just easier to set up a hard drive in dos on a newbox, pop into windows and dump the drivers and utilities that went with it I downloaded from compaq or whatnot and move on with life

its still x86, it works fine ... within reason, bone stock forget USB, SATA in AHCI mode etc