IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

We'll be featuring a new unreleased build of Penult LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Tower of Rubble (2019 WIP Update) by Dion Olsthoorn aka Dionoid
- Penult (2019 WIP) by Karl Garrison aka Karl G
- One on One (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- A Roach In Space (2019 WIP) by John Von Neumann aka Vhzc

[EDIT] UPDATED WITH ARCHIVED SHOW:

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

I've updated the first post with the version of the game featured on the ZeroPage Homebrew channel on Wednesday. Most notably, the castle map has been expanded, and a new map has been added for the nearby city. There are also improvements to the line of sight code.

This is the last version that will use the Ultima 3 world map as I have switched to one of my own creation for further development. This means that it may also be my last release for quite some time, as there's really no good way to release an RPG in small bits without revealing game secrets.

I am still looking for people to test this version on a Harmony Encore and/or an Unocart, since there may be a compatibility issue with the former.

• Like 1

Work is continuing on this game, now using my own world map. I've also added two new city maps, and am beginning to add menus.

I noticed that reducing the color luminosity has made the flicker drastically less noticeable, but the colors still look good. I'm feeling a lot more positive about how the end result will look. :)

Since I'm using my own world map now, I'm not releasing a new ROM, since I want there to still be surprises when the game is complete! Here are some screenshots of my current version.

New world map:

post-48311-0-18737300-1554989206.png

post-48311-0-29814200-1554989215.png

New cities:

post-48311-0-50959600-1554989198.png

post-48311-0-19166300-1554989326.png

Menus:

post-48311-0-99013000-1554989220.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

An update: the instability issue seen on the ZPH stream seems to be limited to the combination of that console with the Harmony Encore. It works on the same console with an Unocart, and a Jr. with the same Encore cart. I created a post asking if anyone with an Encore and a light sixer could replicate the problem, and one person tried it and was unable to do so. I'm letting it go for now as a corner case until I hear any other reports of issues.

Anyway, that aside, development has been proceeding nicely. I have menus working as well as simple dialog, and a stats screen.

post-48311-0-28994400-1556029463.png

post-48311-0-75258100-1556029476.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Ultima game series was my favorite of all time, and I love making something in the same style as a tribute for the Atari 2600. If any of you are looking for a new classic gaming fix, I suggest checking out the series for yourselves. Even though my game is largely inspired by Ultima 3, I think Ultima 4 is probably a better introduction to the series. You can get the PC version of Ultima 4 for free on gog.com, or get 4, 5 and 6 for $1.49 at the moment. There are also enhancements out there to update the graphics and add music to more closely match the experience on the original Apple ][ version.

Anyway; I just wanted to share the inspiration for my game for those who are interested while I (hopefully!) finish my game.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had been stalled on this for a while, which can sometimes happen with bigger projects.  I'm back to coding now, though: I'm working on character creation.

Also, I think I should be able to save all relevant data for a running game in my unused bytes reserved on the AtariVox / SaveKey for Space Game.  Space Game uses only 9 bytes to store the high scores for all 3 game modes.

penult_38.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Just another update. Character creation is done (name, gender, and stats including Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence). I've made good progress on the combat screen. There's a lot to be done, but the basics have been done (moving, attacking, winning and losing). Once combat is in better shape, I'll probably work on commerce. I'm hoping to get to the point that it can be shown again on ZeroPage homebrew sometime within the next few months.

Obligatory screenshots:

penult_46.png

penult_48.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, easmith said:

Just placing a vote to have this playable in cart form with just console and 2 joysticks.    Could you use a password such as in Anguna?

Also, what will the objective of the game be ?

I'm definitely planning on something that can be made into a cart. Right now I'm aiming for 64K, but it's possible that it will end up being 128K. 

My goal is to have it playable with a single joystick, and I believe I'll be able to make it work. The mechanics of menuing and the combat system are largely complete. 

I'll have a backstory write-up later on, but it will be along the lines of figuring out the source of a great evil infesting the land, and how to purge it. 

I'm looking forward to getting it far enough along for another demo so that I can get feedback on the controls as well as look and feel. 

• Like 3

Oh, I guess I didn't address game saving. My ideal would be a cart with a built-in EEPROM that could allow for game saving. I know there are a few carts that have this, but I don't know the technical details, or the preferences of the publisher (hopefully AA!). 

Failing that, I would definitely support saving via an AtariVOX or SaveKey. A password would be possible in theory, but I think the required length would be prohibitive. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will be buying a cart version of this for sure!  

I'm also hoping for a cool manual to give a great story for the game that isn't Ultima!

Man, this is the year to go to PRGE and try out demos of this and Deepstone Catacomb!!  Wow... can't wait to place orders for those!

Speaking of orders.. better stop reading all this great stuff that will be at PRGE and get back to placing my order during the sale!  lol  Now.. what was it going to be again?  Time to make some choices... lol

• Like 1

Hey if you're looking for any Beta testers, (prior to a public release) let me know. I'm interested and I am running via Harmony Encore on real hardware. I can run the world demo fine. 

Found Richard Garriott (I assume) in the secret room :)

One thing as an Ultima fan I'd like to suggest - one of the hallmarks of the Ultima games was the attract sequence on the title page which consisted of a short battle scene or (in the case of Ultima V) parts of the storyline using the games graphics. I think if that's possible that would be quite a bit cooler than a static art page like now. 

This is seriously impressive btw. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1