IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

On 5/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, Prizrak said:

Is this new build from the future? It's not 5/19/21 yet emoji15.png

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Whoops! I didn't mean to release the future version!  ;-) It has been corrected.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Based on conversations with @Albert, Penult will likely be released in the batch of games that follows the upcoming PRGE batch, presumably in 2023. The game is ready other than any unknown bug fixes, so most of the remaining work is the manuals, art, and other goodies that would go into the box.  🙂 

Anyway, after over a year, there's a new version of the demo added to the first post! A lot of this is because it's a bit of a pain to maintain two different source trees, so I'd not taken the time to make the changes to the current code needed for a new demo version. In the meantime, there have been improvements to the underlying engine, so it would be good if more people could try the updated version.

Some of the more prominent changes include:

• Select switch can be used on title screen to select a new game to overwrite an in-progress game
  • Reset switch may be used during the game to return the character to the last save point
  • Color/BW switch on 2600 and Pause button on 7800 now switch between display modes more cleanly 
  • New "Pass" action added to combat (hold button and press down to pass)
  • "Which direction" dialog may be cancelled with joystick button
  • PAL color improvements (thanks to @Bomberman94 for PAL testing)
  • Game auto-saves after leaving a town, castle or dungeon
  • Dungeon trap tweaks: poison is less likely on lower dungeon levels, and more frequent on higher levels
  • Lots of bug fixes

I would say that the demo has roughly 25% of the content of the full game. All of the dungeons in the full game are original. The dungeon included in the demo is mostly based on one of the same name from Ultima III, and does not appear in the full game.

Enjoy!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

The manuals look generally very good!  A couple of small notes:

• Any progress since this save point will be post, however. (p. 10 of tech)
  • shoppes (p. 2 of Queen's, and a couple of additional places) … seems to be the only word that's spelled in a kind of Elizabethan way?

Insofar as the game itself …

• I did personally at first find the controls a little fiddley, but I think they grew on me. I don't have a concrete suggestion on how to "improve" them, so it may just be a necessary learning curve thing.
  • The "G" for "Good" status seems a little redundant and I kinda wonder if it might be better to only show a Status Effect indicator when the status is not "good" or "normal."

In general it plays really well, and looks "better than makes sense" on the TIA. Bravo.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:
  • Any progress since this save point will be post, however. (p. 10 of tech)
  • shoppes (p. 2 of Queen's, and a couple of additional places) … seems to be the only word that's spelled in a kind of Elizabethan way?

Thanks! Corrected in my copy. I decided to forgo the middle English style of the Ultima games, so I should probably be consistent about it and use the normal spelling here, too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Ransurian said:

So uh, is this game still a thing? Is it on track to release next year?

Uh, yes. ;-) The timing is dependent on @Albert's release schedule, but we talked about targeting the release after this one. I'll let him finish getting the current batch out the door before bugging him about the timing for the next batch. :D

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2022 at 8:08 PM, Karl G said:

Uh, yes. ;-) The timing is dependent on @Albert's release schedule, but we talked about targeting the release after this one. I'll let him finish getting the current batch out the door before bugging him about the timing for the next batch. :D

You better believe I'll be buying the heck out of this, was looking through but didn't see exactly did you end up needing 128kb of rom?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, masschamber said:

You better believe I'll be buying the heck out of this, was looking through but didn't see exactly did you end up needing 128kb of rom?

Yes I did. Almost half of the space is taken up by city/dungeon maps and dialog text. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
34 minutes ago, Keithstone001 said:

So is there any news on a release date yet? I've had money put back for about two years now. If its not getting a physical release a rom release would be awesome. I keep checking in every few months, getting excited all over again 😁.

Thanks for your interest. At long last, a physical release has been scheduled! We are aiming for a release at PRGE this year. 🙂

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stechmann said:

Wow! Will I be able to buy this on Itch.io?

For now it's physical release only, and I don't have any immediate plans to sell the ROM. I probably will eventually down the road, but I don't know when or by what means yet.