IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

On 9/27/2019 at 10:15 PM, King_Salamon said:

I like it... will this be the only save point in the game?  I don't know how large the map is but always making the trek to save at this spot seems odd.  Again, I'm not familiar with how the world looks and the layout but I'm super excited about it!

That's a fair point.  Adding in save locations that are far away from the starting city would be a good idea.  I also added in auto-save for levelling, dying, and upgrading equipment, and it seems to be working well so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

That's a fair point.  Adding in save locations that are far away from the starting city would be a good idea.  I also added in auto-save for levelling, dying, and upgrading equipment, and it seems to be working well so far.

Upon playing the original Dragon Quest recently, there was one location to save the game so perhaps it is good enough?  Although there is a quick save option as well but the game even suggests that you use the 'hard save' option at the castle.  What makes this easy is that you can cast a zoom spell that takes you back to the castle and the cost is only one magic point.

Regardless, this is shaping up to be a fun romp on the ol' 2600!  Looking forward to hearing people's reviews later this month!

The First Dragon Quest isn't exactly the most polished game around. And to Dragon Quest's credit, later games immediately improved on the formula. In terms of just saving the game, sequels included a place to save in every village, and a quick save at any time in case you needed to quit suddenly. It'd be overwritten the next time you started the game.

I'd argue that your home should also offer a free health restore. And maybe a place to store extra items? Make it actually feel like a home, so you have a real reason to return to it.

Edited by NinjaFlicker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've officially made the switch from 64K to 128K after doing the math on how much space dungeon maps and supporting code will require. I always knew this might be a possibility, but I wanted to first see what I could fit into 64K. Maps and dialog strings eat up space very quickly.

Anyway, I have started on adding dungeons to the game, starting with using converted Ultima 3 dungeon maps for testing purposes before creating my own. Here's a screenshot of a level being created in the Tiled editor:

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.04.07 AM.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up taking a similar approach, but I wanted to somewhat limit the number of writes to the SaveKey. In addition to the save location, it also autosaves when you create a character, go up a level, die, buy equipment, learn a spell, and other important points in the game. I could easily have it do so upon entering a city, etc. like in Ultima, but I'm not sure if doing that many writes every game session would be a bad idea. 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:05 AM, Karl G said:

I've officially made the switch from 64K to 128K after doing the math on how much space dungeon maps and supporting code will require. I always knew this might be a possibility, but I wanted to first see what I could fit into 64K. Maps and dialog strings eat up space very quickly.

Anyway, I have started on adding dungeons to the game, starting with using converted Ultima 3 dungeon maps for testing purposes before creating my own. Here's a screenshot of a level being created in the Tiled editor:

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.04.07 AM.png

a 1 meg atari game, mmm, I know that is a stupid thing to enjoy, but I do none the less.

8 hours ago, masschamber said:

a 1 meg atari game, mmm, I know that is a stupid thing to enjoy, but I do none the less.

No no no...I promise it won't get that big. I'm 100% confident that 128K will be more than enough space to fit the remaining content I wish to add

• 4 weeks later...

While I like the current Penult kernel using tiles with an accent color, the flicker can be distracting on some displays. Since I have more space to work with now, I've added a different switchable kernel option that makes use of a smoother flickerblinds approach, at the cost of the accent color. I am keeping both options, and you can choose between them with the Color/B&W switch. I miss the color in the flickerblinds kernel, but the display looks a lot more solid. Here are some comparative screenshots:

Starting screen, original display:

penult_62.png.3d5a7ae758b80dcbdea60f995c216068.png

Starting screen, flickerblinds display:

penult_63.png.506944f3a067414445df65380fca23b5.png

Queen Avaline's castle, original display:

penult_64.png.2555b9b893eb3cd17ba09cb6bda46535.png

Queen Avaline's castle, flickerblinds display:

penult_65.png.c4700ac01382196608aed7fb4491e4a4.png

• Like 6

I particularly like the accent colour myself but the screen does pop more when you remove the accent colour.  It'll be interesting to see which setting people prefer.  I'm thinking I'll go with the accent myself.  Then again, as you said, some displays may have issues so it will depend on our tvs as well.

This is looking better and better for the 2600!  Keep up  the amazing work!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Karl G said:

While I like the current Penult kernel using tiles with an accent color, the flicker can be distracting on some displays. Since I have more space to work with now, I've added a different switchable kernel option that makes use of a smoother flickerblinds approach, at the cost of the accent color. I am keeping both options, and you can choose between them with the Color/B&W switch. I miss the color in the flickerblinds kernel, but the display looks a lot more solid. Here are some comparative screenshots:

Both methods of display have their strengths and weaknesses so it's great that you'll be able to include both as an option for people playing and they can customize it to the one they like best. ? Awesome work Karl!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've added the first public demo of the game that includes my custom maps and actual gameplay. The world map has been shrunk, and only includes the starting town, the castle, and surrounding areas in order to avoid spoilers. ? You can level up to level 6, upgrade equipment, learn a new spell if you figure out how, and save/load games if you have an AtariVox or SaveKey. Details are at the top of the first post in this topic.

Please try it, and give feedback!  ? 

• Like 1

Played a bit .  Very impressive is understatement .

Couple of suggestions :

Just played on Stella but the color option looks much nicer .  The menu screens , choosing name , allocating hit points , etc are a little frustrating .  Seems like I want to move up and down to switch between items, and left and right to change the values, and button when done ( "nextscreen " or entering name letter ) .

I guess it just seems inconsistent.

Also, sometimes I accidentally pull up the " talk, cast , use" menu and want to just exit out of it . Maybe pulling down could just back out of this menu ....

Also I would consider changing the  name ,  something like " Penult Quest " or "Penult: Terryn's Quest "  , just to make it sound a bit cooler .   I know with Space Game it's kind of ironic and maybe that is part of it , but just a  thought for what it's worth  . 

Nits of course :)

Edited by easmith