IGNORED

How best to play Devil May Cry 4 on XBone

Rick Dangerous

So i started playing Devil May Cry 5 recently and it's excellent! So much so that it's made me want to revisit the rest of the series. Luckily for Xbone there is the DMC HD collection, which contains the first 3 games. But Devil May Cry 4.....not so much.

Here are my options thoughts:

-DMC 4 is on Xbox 360, just play it on that. It is not to my knowledge on the backwards compatible list yet for Xbone. Is there a way you can request this on MS's webpage, or Capcoms, to anyones knowledge? Retails for $10-$15.

-It was released as a "Region Free" game for Xbone in the Asia region. It's sold out on play asia and is going for $75-$100 online.

I can wait on this one...what are your thoughts? Hoping with the increased hype surrounding DMC 5 they will either make the XB360 verions BC or re-release it in the US for Xbone.

Glad to hear you are enjoying DMC5 enough to want to try the other games.

I know you're anti-digital but there is the updated Xbox One "Special Edition" version of Devil May Cry 4 on the Xbox marketplace: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition/bpzt3cqccwkg?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot:overviewtab.

I haven't played the updated modern console version of the Devil May Cry HD Collection. I remember enjoying the first Devil May Cry on the 360 HD collection though. If anyone can vouch for the updated collection, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

You might also want to look into DMC: Devil May Cry, the soft reboot. The gameplay is pretty solid on that one and there's an updated "Definitive Edition" version on Xbox One and PS4. Should be able to get it for under $15 on the used market.

Tip to a Devil May Cry newbie: Skip Devil May Cry 2. Or, at least save it for last so you don't feel bad in bailing out on it halfway through. It's pretty bad by normal DMC standards and gets a poor rap for good reason.

Also, knowing you're into retro stuff, the PS2 versions of these games are stupid cheap. It'll probably cost you under $10 combined to obtain all three of the original games CIB.

Edited by Austin

Tip to a Devil May Cry newbie: Skip Devil May Cry 2 It's pretty bad by normal DMC standards and gets a poor rap for good reason.

Really? Maybe that's why I quickly lost interest in the series after really enjoying the first one.

It's been a long time, and I can't remember the exact reasoning, but I never made it through DMC2 and never played another after that one.

Really? Maybe that's why I quickly lost interest in the series after really enjoying the first one.

It's been a long time, and I can't remember the exact reasoning, but I never made it through DMC2 and never played another after that one.

Definitely give the series another try. Just ignore 2. 4 isn't a bad place to start--it looks excellent with the updated version and it feels a lot like 1.