IGNORED

Atari 600XL modulator remove

dimfil

Well, the situation in the 600XL case is quite strict! The U1mb board is struggled and I am not satisfied by it's position so I want to move it in a safer place. First candidate is the place of the TV modulator which I plan to remove.

Is it just a matter of desolder-it-and-throw-it-away or do I have to take care of something else too?

Edited by dimfil

I find that that the U1MB sits very happily directly above the parallel port, but in any case, it is indeed a case of removing that filthy hunk of metal and throwing it in the trash on the XL. On the XE, you lose composite video in doing so but that's not a concern on the XL line.

You can see the U1MB in the suggested position here:

With U1MB in this position, ribbon cables are kept as short as possible, which is good. The only reason I can think of for putting the device at the other end of the board is if you were attempting to cram Rapidus into the machine as well (via the Adaptus duaghter-board).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

I find that that the U1MB sits very happily directly above the parallel port, but in any case, it is indeed a case of removing that filthy hunk of metal and throwing it in the trash on the XL. On the XE, you lose composite video in doing so but that's not a concern on the XL line.

You can see the U1MB in the suggested position here:

https://youtu.be/MUYGYjfk4OQ

With U1MB in this position, ribbon cables are kept as short as possible, which is good. The only reason I can think of for putting the device at the other end of the board is if you were attempting to cram Rapidus into the machine as well (via the Adaptus duaghter-board).

Thank you!

Yes, the place above pbi is a good option but it needs for holes to be opened and I don't know if I feel OK by doing this myself! I will check it for sure. According to your experience, is there enough space there to drill holes without damaging something? Any advise what to be carefull of?

Rapidus is not an option for me at the moment (if I ever decide to buy it, it will go for my 800xl) and the only reason to use the modulator position was the space that could be free by removing it.

According to your experience, is there enough space there to drill holes without damaging something? Any advise what to be carefull of?

Without any doubt at all, you have no more than 0.5mm wiggle-room when it comes to drilling 3mm diameter holes in the correct places (which is: about 1mm in from the edge of the motherboard, either side of the PBI connector). You must avoid the traces, but if you go too near the edge of the board you'll end up with a notch instead of a hole which isn't that much of a problem, since the standoffs and screws will clamp everything in place. You'll need some nylon washers to insulate the bottom of the motherboard against the screwheads as well.

Rapidus is not an option for me at the moment (if I ever decide to buy it, it will go for my 800xl) and the only reason to use the modulator position was the space that could be free by removing it.

Rapidus in a 600XL is probably possible but any desire I have to try and pull this off is counteracted by the fact I don't really need Rapidus for any purpose other than testing firmware. But U1MB/VBXE/Rapidus in a 600XL would probably make a good video. :)

• Like 3