IGNORED

2600 / 7800 fans: future controller ideas? Input welcome.

classicgamesnut

The two MiniVex controllers in the photos are my most recent creations for the Atari 2600 and 7800. Since posting these publicly I've received some interesting suggestions for future models and enhancements to these particular two, such as stand-alone mini paddles and stand-alone mini joysticks. A couple of my offerings for the Vectrex were directly suggested by folks in the Vectrex community.

So I ask you, 2600 and 7800 devotees, what would YOU like to see in future controllers?

I can't afford to pay anyone, but the people whose suggestions bore fruit have yet to complain about the free controllers they received...

Larry

post-65216-0-01613900-1552701985_thumb.jpgpost-65216-0-64079900-1552702069_thumb.jpg

I think a simple CX40 design with an extra button would be superior for 2600/7800 play. Mount the extra button directly below and to the left of the main fire button, or on the opposite side of the corner, where your index finger rests naturally. Am dead shocked nobody has come up with such an obvious solution yet. :(

I think a simple CX40 design with an extra button would be superior for 2600/7800 play. Mount the extra button directly below and to the left of the main fire button, or on the opposite side where your index finger rests [bold]naturally[/bold]. Am dead shocked nobody has come up with such an obvious solution yet. :(

I turned a bunch of Wico sticks into Spy Hunter controllers, back in the day.

• Like 1

I turned a bunch of Wico sticks into Spy Hunter controllers, back in the day.

That's awesome (and I've done similar for discrete two-button 7800 play), but not exactly what I'm talking about. If people are still scratching their heads by tomorrow, maybe I'll post a crude drawing with arrows, circles and such. lol

Think of the Kraft Apple ][ joystick (sans its out of place springy analog stick in a digital environment) for the first example. The second idea where your index finger naturally rests alongside the bottom half of the base, is where the second button could be.

I think a simple CX40 design with an extra button would be superior for 2600/7800 play. Mount the extra button directly below and to the left of the main fire button, or on the opposite side of the corner, where your index finger rests naturally. Am dead shocked nobody has come up with such an obvious solution yet. :(

I would pay real money for that. Especially if the joystick switches were high quality.

• Like 1

There is a way to do this (for 2 button 7800 gameplay):

1) Get a 15 pin PC Wico Command Control joystick or an Advanced Gravis joystick or a Gravis PC Pro joystick. Any of these will work fine, but the Wico is best.

2) A 15 pin PC to Atari/Amiga 9 pin controller adapter found here:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272348471848

3) A Sega Master System Rapid Fire adapter (obtain from various sellers on Ebay).

4) An Edladdin Seagull 78 controller adapter: https://www.edladdin.com/Seagull-78-Controller-Adapter-ec-2-001.htm

Connect them all together and it works very well. I've enjoyed playing Pole Position 2 on my 7800 and various other games with this setup. For a gameplay demo check out the 20 minute 58 seconds mark here: https://youtu.be/FjkutgqVZ0w

Edited by ave1