IGNORED

Colourful Atari in 800XL ROM?

Steve Mynott

On 7/1/2019 at 7:45 PM, warerat said:

I took that 1200XL splash screen file and reworked it to go into the self-test code space.  The 6502 code in that 1200XL splash xex posted is pretty... baroque.  I hope that wasn't Atari coding because I did the same thing with almost 200 less bytes.  I also made one with a colorful ANTIC 4 fuji I ripped from some Atari music tutorial disk.  To see them, boot up with no disk drives or BYE from BASIC.

It appears the self test code isn't computed in the main checksum so you can just drop that 2K into the ROM without any other changes.

atarixl-rev2-1200xlselftest.rom 16 kB · 22 downloads atarixl-rev2-fujiselftest.rom 16 kB · 20 downloads

This second one doesn't work (in Altirra anyway). It crashes the virtual CPU.

CPU: Illegal instruction hit: 5008
(1409: 53, 56) A=E0 X=80 Y=30 S=FF P=B1 (N    C)  5007: F2                KIL

Edited by R.Cade

Anyone consider starting with the 800XL Rev 2 and replace the PBI code with the 1200XL "ATARI" splash?  The Help function is probably used more than someone using the PBI.  I assume it will fit as the PBI was the new code needed using Rev 11 (1200XL OS) as the starting point.  You want to keep the international character set and HELP function.  There are those very few who use the PBI.  I used to be one BITD when I had a 1MEG MIO.  

My choice for a Frankenstein OS: 

Already exists:  Omniview XL/256/etc.
      Has 80 column output

Has ATR-8000 monitor built in

Has fast math floating point routine

Has an OS-B 400/800 base, but allows 64K of RAM

Does not yet exist:

Baseline is 600/800XL OS rev 2

Still retains the 1200XL F1-F4 and L1 & L2 LED functionality

Replace the PBI code with the 1200XL "ATARI" or fuji splash screen

Add the fast math floating point 

SpartaDOS on Side2 and Ultimate1MB use the PBI code to access memory card HDD partitions, and to boot ATR's as well. 

Retaining L1/L2 function would cause potential inadvertent extended memory bank switching. (The same PORTB bits 2/3 to toggle the LED's are used for 130XE bank selection, as do compatible PORTB based extended memory upgrades...)

• Like 1

SIDE cart, AVG, cart, Incognito,  MIO, and Black Box.... looks like there a good deal more things not listed that use PBI also...

Nah I'd replace self test with the leaner meaner splash screen I think WareRat made? and then if any room is left, allow it to simply indicate if something is wrong. The memory test is pretty useless in tracking down which has gone bad, so a simple failed rom 1 or 2 or a bad ram notice would be fine... The keyboard test is pretty evident in memo pad or basic, just about anything... as is the pokey voice test. The only thing the key test was good for is testing start select option all held down in combination with shift and a key etc... good to verify keyboard is fixed but the self test is better off as a stand alone with improvement...

Edited by _The Doctor__