IGNORED

New MiniVex Twin Stick for Atari 2600 / 7800, dual joystick controller

classicgamesnut

This one was based on suggestions from the community, and my own frustration with fast-moving games like Stargate that require two controllers. Two loose factory controllers are fine for the slower games, but unless you have a contraption that holds the two together, very frustrating for the fast games.

Originally this was going to be for the Atari 2600 only, but a number of 7800 fans voiced a desire for one that would work with their favorite system, so why not? Especially with Robotron available on that system!

The leftmost pair of buttons corresponds to the left joystick, and the rightmost pair to the right joystyick. The two toggle switches on the back shuffle the A / B buttons in each pair when used on the 7800. When used on the 2600, both buttons perform the same function. The two joysticks are digital, but have the smooth feel of analog sticks.

Case is made of steel, so it's a bit heavier than the average controller, but well-suited for tabletop use. Felt feet ensure that your prized hardwood table won't get all scratched up.

Too early to tell how many of these will be produced. Like what you see? Please contact me for any info not presented here.

Larry

post-65216-0-32217700-1552773637_thumb.jpgpost-65216-0-78028200-1552773670_thumb.jpgpost-65216-0-28298600-1552773702_thumb.jpgpost-65216-0-96894300-1552773723_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I vouch for Larry's amazing controller! He provided one for me to play-test, and the sticks provide excellent, smooth control with an analog feel.

Some key takeaways:

• The controller has a nice weight to it. You can set it down and use the sticks almost effortlessly. I do like the solid construction.
  • Love the texture on top of the casing. Promotes a solid grip, slip free!
  • The analog-style joysticks are extremely responsive and really move nicely with a 360° architecture
  • Springiness of the buttons gives this a true-arcade feel
  • Nine-pin cables have a good length overall (several inches longer than the 7800 ProPads) and have a retro appeal
Where the joystick truly shines is with Robotron 2084!!
There have been a few solutions for dual-stick control on the Atari 7800, but this one might be the best. I can use both sticks for Robotron, and play it as it was meant to be played! Plug in the Minivex, and use the left stick to control your man, and the right stick for firing. In the 80s, dual-sticks were an awesome advancement in arcade gameplay, and I've been sorely missing this. I know arcade enthusiasts (like myself) love this feature to this day, and others will be absolutely blown away to use the Minivex for Robotron.
2600 games I can think of (but have yet to try) are Raiders of the Lost Ark and I hear Stargate works with dual-sticks. There's a thread started here that may not contain a complete list. Can anyone suggest other 7800 or 2600 games that would rock with the Minivex?
  • Like 1

I really need one for Robotron :grin:

Larry does it again!

What can one say but say they finally played Robotron on the 7800 and it just felt natural. Previously I had been using the original joystick coupler but it was a bit clunky. It's a little big and bulky with both of these in your lap.

This controller, however, is just like Phattyboombatty says above! I've been sitting on Robotron in my collection for too long and now I can finally play it for more than a few minutes at a time.

If you're a Robotron fan, it's a no-brainer. I still need to check it out with Starmaster and many of the other games in the list above, but for me, speaking on Robotron alone, it's worth it!

I see Larry still has one on eBay right now!

Kaboomer

• Like 1

2600 games I can think of (but have yet to try) are Raiders of the Lost Ark and I hear Stargate works with dual-sticks. There's a thread started here that may not contain a complete list. Can anyone suggest other 7800 or 2600 games that would rock with the Minivex?

I know that Spy Hunter also needs something like this...