IGNORED

ATARI 1030

firestorm

Nice. Many phone lines nowadays which are bridged over fibre, cable and the Internet mangle these old modem protocols. Did you still have a real analog POTS line for this?

My online life started at 1200 baud... with my dads P:R: Connection and Avatex modem... must have been in the 86-88 timeframe. Later in like 1993 I borrowed an XM301 from a friend just to 'experience' 300 baud, and the dialing of DTMF and hearing the phone line connecting through the computer speaker. I presume the XM301 is basically the same as the 1030, hardware and software wise?

PS: tripods are good. ;)

• Like 2

My1st online experience was at a friend's house. 1030 modem on a 1200XL computer. Soon after I was using an XM301 on my 130XE. I upgraded to an SX212, then my drive died and I went without computer from 91-94. Came back online with an AMD 486 DX-4 100 and a 14.4 modem. Boy - had times ever changed. I missed the entire ST/Amiga, Falcon, 286,386, etc era.

• Like 1

Nice. Many phone lines nowadays which are bridged over fibre, cable and the Internet mangle these old modem protocols. Did you still have a real analog POTS line for this?

My online life started at 1200 baud... with my dads P:R: Connection and Avatex modem... must have been in the 86-88 timeframe. Later in like 1993 I borrowed an XM301 from a friend just to 'experience' 300 baud, and the dialing of DTMF and hearing the phone line connecting through the computer speaker. I presume the XM301 is basically the same as the 1030, hardware and software wise?

PS: tripods are good. ;)

I have used my xm301 over Google voice using an OBi, so essentially was over internet. It worked perfectly. I guess that 300baud is not enough to make the communication fail.
  • Like 1

My first modem was a 1030 in the summer of 1985, received as a gift for my 17th birthday. :) I upgraded to a 1200 baud modem when I bought my ST before college in the summer of '86 but for a year, I cruised the information backroads from my 800 at a rockin' 300 bits per second.

• Like 2

I never did get "on-line" back in the day, I have a 1030 now that I'm hoping to use soon, once I get a land-line in my house. IIRC, there are a few of us Atari fans running BBS's still, I wanted to try them out. Though, I've been thinking of getting an SX212 and fit it in my 1030 case...1200 baud I think is slow enough for me, but I'll try out 300 baud at least once.

• Like 1

Hello guys

My first modem was a SupraModem2400 and my second was a SupraFaxModem14400. I used both with my 130XE. The first IIRC with my 850, the second with my BlackBox.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS calling from NL to the US was very expensive way back when. My highest phone bill was 700 guilders, which would have been 318 euro today. Ouch!

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 1

It's my ATARI 1030 in action ;)

Very nice!

The 1030 is the one and only Atari XL style item I didn´t own... nearly impossible to get one in Europe. I bought two times one at eBay USA, but in both cases the seller use such a bullsh*t packaging that I got only a puzzle, not a device. Ok, paypal refunds money in both times when I sent the pictures of the parcel, but... very unsatisfying.

If anyone here has one to sell and would be able to pack a good parcel... let me know :-)

• Like 1

BTW... some weeks ago I´ve to test the serial communications for Dropcheck´s upcoming SIO2IO board, so I grab my good old US Robotics Courier Dual Standard modem and try to connect some BBS... and, I was very surprised, it works better than expected! Of course I´ve no POTS or ISDN landline anymore, here in Germany nearly all fixed-net connection are Cable or DSL/VDSL using VOIP for telephone services. So I connect the USR modem to the analogue port for POTS devices of my router and dial some numbers. Connections with 300 and 1200 bps works absolute fine, no garbage (this speeds only without MNP or V.42). Using 2400 bps some garbage appears, but it works fine.

Step-by-step I increase the maximum connection speed up to 33.6k using V.42 error correction (MNP - no chance). The connections were reliable up to approx. 26.4k. At all speeds above a carrier-lost within 2-3 minutes will appear. A connection using V.32bis (14.4k) with V.42 stays stable for 30 minutes. Never thought this way possible using VOIP connections...

Maybe the renaissance of BBS is possible :-)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I never used Atari with modem before. In 1986 my father bought us Atari 800XL with Atari XC12 program recorder back in Poland. I rediscovered Atari in 2010 when my brother's friend found in his cellar Atari 65XE without power supply, be able to use it I started searching net for spare one, that's how I got hooked ;)

For me this "atarimania" it's like journey to the past when you can experience "alternate reality" ;) To have your dream computer with all possible peripherals, all possible games and programs :)

just 25 years later... ;)

At least with what I remember about the 1030, was that it used the SIO lines to receive audio from POKEY for output to cassette, to do the DTMF (POKEY's two-tone mode helped here). The analog mechanism of action for this is a bit odd (it's basically relying on the fact that the signals will bleed over into-band)...

-Thom

• Like 2

I've never used a modem with an Atari 8 bit, but have thought a great deal about trying an OBi like was mentioned above. It is good to hear that some have had success at "higher" speeds. I may just try to setup a dialup BBS with an OBi or similar, and if it works out okay I'd add a second line.

Living a very rural area when I was young, in addition to being quite poor, there were no viable options for dialing out to an 8 bit BBS during the 8 bit heyday. In 1981 our sixth grade class received some TI 99 and TRS-80 Model 3 computers and we were given a demonstration one evening of the Model 3 dialing into the local Radio Shack. The local community college did setup an after hours BBS with six lines. They operated that until at least 1996. I became friends with the owners of the local ISP. There office was physically located literally three feet (outside wall to outside wall) of Verizon's central office (I think it was Contel at the time). I still remember when their T3 went live in late 99. I'd never used anything better than 384 DSL or 144 ISDN. Sitting alone on that T3 was pure awesomeness.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At least with what I remember about the 1030, was that it used the SIO lines to receive audio from POKEY for output to cassette, to do the DTMF (POKEY's two-tone mode helped here). The analog mechanism of action for this is a bit odd (it's basically relying on the fact that the signals will bleed over into-band)...

-Thom

Apparently this 'crossover' didn't work on the 400 due to differences in the SIO port connections, and it was supposedly indicated in the 1030 manual about this.

Listen to the ANTIC podcast interview with Mark Rustad, he troubleshot the DTMF dialing on the Atari 1030 modem.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-10-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-mark-rustad

Edit: Yep it's mentioned on page 7: (but no technical explanation why) But pretty sure the why was covered in the podcast.

https://archive.org/details/Atari1030ModemManual/page/n8

• Like 1