IGNORED

SNK 40th Anniversary Collection

Razzie.P

Thinking of picking up the SNK 40th Anniversary collection, but I'm having trouble finding out if all the games are on the disc or if's like the Switch version where you half to download half. Anyone know? I'd like to have them all on disc to add to my collection, but if only has half the set, I'll probably just buy it digitally.

Thanks!

It's not an answer, but speculation here and at another forum I visit is that two games will likely be downloads.

The patch that added 11 games to the Switch version only included 9 of them, with the remaining two having to be downloaded off the eShop manually. Some think this was a way to work around the ESRB rating since they're the two bloodiest games in the lineup.

I can live with that, but I'll be disappointed if nearly half of the arcade lineup is a download rather than on the disc.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently, the game is enhanced on the PS4 Pro, which I assume just means that the games are playable in 4K.

From what I saw on YouTube, the PS4 disc doesn't include all the games. I was considering buying this, but seeing that not all games are included on physical media has changed my mind. There's really no good reason for this, other than them trying to devalue used copies.

• Like 2

The Switch version was the same way. I believe the downloads had a higher (older kids) ESRB rating than the main package, so they could sell the rest of it as E for Everyone.

And I see that Atariboy just posted the same thing a few lines prior. I think that's the more likely explanation than "devalue used copies."

The Switch version was the same way. I believe the downloads had a higher (older kids) ESRB rating than the main package, so they could sell the rest of it as E for Everyone.

And I see that Atariboy just posted the same thing a few lines prior. I think that's the more likely explanation than "devalue used copies."

I don't really understand what the issue is with ratings, though? It's not like kids are going to be buying these packs to begin with.

Actually, I think the PS4 disc does include all of the games on the disc, so I may get this after all.

By the way, was the Switch version originally rated as E? The versions I'm seeing are rated T, the same as the PS4.

Anyway, even if the rating played into why some games were not present on the Switch cart, the use of download-only content has been a way for years to try to get people to buy new games. It's nothing new, but it's not something I would expect from a game compilation.

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 1

Someone asked on amazon whether any of the games required a download and a customer answered that everything is on the disc.

That was me who asked :-D I took the plunge and ordered the PS4 version. Looking forward to Wednesday when I can play some 80's goodness in all 4 glorious Ks!

Edited by malrak

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/snk-40th-anniversary-collection-coming-to-ps4-on-march-19-in-north-america-march-22-in-europe

The collection of classic SNK arcade games first launched for Switch in November 2018. It included 13 games at launch, and added 11 further titles via free updates. The PlayStation 4 version will have all 24 games on the disc. Here is the full list:

Launch Games

Alpha Mission (arcade and home versions)

Athena (arcade and home versions)

Crystalis

Ikari Warriors (arcade and home versions)

Ikari III: The Rescue (arcade and home versions)

Guerrilla War (arcade and home versions)

P.O.W. (arcade and home versions)

Prehistoric Isle in 1930

Psycho Soldier

Street Smart

T.N.K. III (arcade and home versions)

Vanguard

Victory Road (arcade and home versions)

Added via Free Updates

Chopper I

Fantasy

Munch Mobile

Sasuke vs. Commander