IGNORED

Guess what's wrong ;)

emkay

ROger, we love the demo, it does what it says on the tin and is really nice, yeah it would be a lovely game if one was born from it but the point is that it was coded as a DEMO and that is what it is.

You know Emkay, he loves to move in mysterious ways (ie the strange thread) but those of us who just appreciate great work and the entertainment (and of course the coding skill) think its a really great product, so thank you..

ROger, we love the demo, it does what it says on the tin and is really nice, yeah it would be a lovely game if one was born from it but the point is that it was coded as a DEMO and that is what it is.

Cross-Argumentation, again...

You know Emkay, he loves to move in mysterious ways (ie the strange thread) but those of us who just appreciate great work and the entertainment (and of course the coding skill) think its a really great product, so thank you..

Could you please state that you are a Fan of old computer, but you don't have the slightest clue, how things work there?

This is also a part of the topic, as back then, when Paul Lay released Atari Blast! , a lot of people mentioned to have seen similar stuff on the Atari before. They name themselves Atari 8-Bit "fans/freaks ... whatever, but don't see a difference between 3 fps and 25 fps, or 2 color objects and 4 color objects, fluent animations and no animation at all.

What's strange for you is just the fact that you don't see the knowledge behind my comments.

You say the the demo is "nice" , well, compared to a PC where you could just add all the needed resources for any moving object on the screen, it is nice. But , you might have smelled it a bit that R0ger had a long way to get there.

He die something really outstanding, but no - one else is realizing it.

It's really intriguing , that they again blame me for whatever ;)

To turn this into a game, a lot is to be done in preparation. And, it's not just "adopting" C64 code.

Edited by emkay

Slightly at a loss, I mention the fact that I admire the coding skill and then you say I know nothing of how things work, i may not totally understand the technical coding behind the work but I know its not a basic program running at 3fps, its hardcore machine language with extensive maths and clever uses of DLI's cycles available and more stuff that I could only WISH I could write.

As said previously, you normally jump on a demo and say how underwhelming it is...Make your mind up Emkay, are the voices in there starting to confuse you...

As for the adopting C64 code remark, I can only think you are talking of the Bruce Lee game as nothing else I'm involved in some way makes sense otherwise.

The Bruce Lee ROF thing is just an idea I managed to inspire some great guys in to doing some great work, its hardly JUST adopting code, the whole screen system between the machines is different is res and other things and the guys are also trying to Atari-ise it.

But then again I don't see a reason to rub salt in to something our gifted devs have put their mind to....Its still good coding even if some is just 6502 readdressing.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

As said previously, you normally jump on a demo and say how underwhelming it is...Make your mind up Emkay, are the voices in there starting to confuse you...

You should ask yourself, why your recognition is shifted that way.

But then again I don't see a reason to rub salt in to something our gifted devs have put their mind to....Its still good coding even if some is just 6502 readdressing.

It's still the Eagle cycling around something , not hitting the point.

Everything that is enhancing the Softwarebase of the Atari, is worth to be praised.

But not everything is worthy to be praised, particular when software still gets created with wrong pre-information .

If R0ger wouldn't have taken care there, the Demo, that shows the technical stuff, as is, wouldn't finally show what I'm writing about for decades ;) .

The Atari has the PMg for coloring huge parts with low color , the background could be used for the details and wouldn't need bit calculations for a lot of moving "Software-Sprites" .

And, if the demo wasn't finally there, even this would still be mysterious for someone...

Edited by emkay

You should ask yourself, why your recognition is shifted that way. wouldn't finally show what I'm writing about for decades ;)

That is a War & Peace over stuffed double volume I won't be reading...

10 mins of your stuff and sometimes I feel like I've taken up sniffing glue!

You don't need to convince me about what you are writing, start with yourself and that is an achievement....Most of us are lost early on...:)

• 4 months later...

I just saw this... to the initially asked question I'd probably say it's the garbage shown on the right side of the screen... don't know if this is avoidable (there's something similar seen on the NES on some games).

But I did ask myself how this was graphically possible... didn't get the idea that the road could be made out of players / missiles. As far as I know, Pole Position does it the other way round... the street is drawn using a bitmap with the scrolling being adjusted on every scanline, and all the objects are drawn on top over it with p/m graphics. The blockiness of the objects comes from the fact that players can only be 8 pixels wide, and putting multiple players next to each other would eat up too many of them, so they settled with drawing the cars using 2 players each (in different colors) in this low resolution.

They could do it like this only on this system anyway... the Atarisoft ports of Pole Position use different techniques depending on the hardware, and in comparison the Atari 8-bit version is still technically pretty far advanced.

Even if it isn't possible to add more objects to the display, one could still turn this into a playable game by only doing some sort of time trial... it's only you against the winding road. Maybe it would be possible to add different track sections where there's a color change on the road and/or the "grass". For instance, by turning the grass color blue, then brown for a short section and then green again, you could create the illusion of going over a bridge.

Another idea would be to do hills... the road would still use the same technique of display, but the correlation between road width and scanline wouldn't be fixed anymore. I think this should be doable as well, as would be simulating different road conditions like ice and dirt by changing the road color and the driving physics... and different times of day like it's done in Enduro by also changing the color of the sky and background.

Also there could be different stages with different scrolling background graphics.

I think this should all be doable without destroying the technical principle of how the graphics engine works.