IGNORED

Working on Forum Upgrade (finally!)

Albert

Looking good! Congratulations!

I didn't notice this before now, and it's admittedly a minor thing, but in the new screenshots, the dotted white line above the AtariAge logo finally appears to be uniform!

\o/

1. I am amused anytime someone notices that.
  2. I highly doubt it's fixed.

..Al

• Like 2

Two questions:

1) Is the new forum update going to fix this ^^^ issue where quoted posts don't always show inline images?

2) The reason I attempted to quote this post: will the new emojis correctly replace the existing ones? I still have dozens (hundreds?) of broken emojis in my blog from an earlier forum update. (By broken - it replaced everything with a single one.)

:ponder:

1) Is the new forum update going to fix this ^^^ issue where quoted posts don't always show inline images?

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 9.42.10 PM.png

Seems to work fine, but I only tested it that one time so far. :D Please ignore the fields above and below my avatar as that's not all fleshed out yet.

2) The reason I attempted to quote this post: will the new emojis correctly replace the existing ones? I still have dozens (hundreds?) of broken emojis in my blog from an earlier forum update. (By broken - it replaced everything with a single one.)

I have no idea. Can you give me links to a few blog entries where they are broken? I can look on the new forum, although it's still doing a ton of background processing so not everything is kosher yet.

..Al

• Like 2

I remembered a little wrong - it looks like it replaced them all with different ones. I thought there were some entries where it just threw all the same ones in there, but I'm not going to dig that deep.

If you look in these posts and comments, you can see the emojis don't make any sense:

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-769-making-labels-part-1/

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-757-colony-7-sprites/

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-738-stella-at-20-something/

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-730-whos-the-leader-of-the-club/

That particular update also really badly broke the formatting in blog entries, apparently by removing paragraph breaks:

http://atariage.com/forums/blog/118/entry-757-colony-7-sprites/

I went back into quite a few of those older posts and fixed the formatting, but after awhile just gave up on it. I don't remember how long ago that blog update broke things, but I do remember mentioning it. But there wasn't any reasonably easy way to go back and restore them.
Anyway, just hoping it doesn't break the blogs again. I've done a lot of formatting I don't want to have to re-do - especially on the Artie strips. This isn't on you - I just don't trust Invision.
Edited by Nathan Strum

Hopefully the introduction of a new editor eliminates the bug where you'd have a code or quote segment that wasn't properly assigned a numeric value according to the editor, and any text you wrote below that segment was lost. Over time I have learned how to most of the time steer clear of the bug but sometimes you forget.

Hopefully the introduction of a new editor eliminates the bug where you'd have a code or quote segment that wasn't properly assigned a numeric value according to the editor, and any text you wrote below that segment was lost. Over time I have learned how to most of the time steer clear of the bug but sometimes you forget.

The new editor is CKEditor, created by a third-party and that is their primary focus. So instead of Invision writing their own editor (which they did in the past), and that being only a small portion of their focus, CKEditor is much more advanced than Invision's previous efforts, and has many plugins that can be added. It should be much better overall than the editor on this forum.

..Al

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity what server specs and so forth is the current AA running on ?

AtariAge is running on two servers, a web server and a database server.

Current web server:

Processor: Dual Quad-Core 5520 2.26GHz Intel Nehalem Xeon w/ HT & Turbo Boost
Memory: 24GB
Hard Drive Options: 4 x 1TB Sata III

Database server:

Processor: 2 x 2.0GHz Hexa-Core E5-2620 Sandy Bridge Xeon
Memory: 64GB
Primary Hard Drive: 960 GB
Second Hard Drive: 2 TB
I am replacing the web server with a new server, which is what I am now working on:
Processor: 2 x 2.4GHz Octa-Core E5-2630 v3 Haswell Xeon
Memory: 32GB
Primary Hard Drive: 1.2 TB PCIe NVMe SSD
Second Hard Drive: 2 TB
Third Hard Drive: 2 TB

I also have a development server that serves a second role as host to several gaming sites for free:

Processor: 3.3GHz Quad-Core E3-1230 v3 Haswell Xeon
Memory: 16GB
Primary Hard Drive: 240 GB
Second Hard Drive: 1 TB

..Al

• Like 3

I remembered a little wrong - it looks like it replaced them all with different ones. I thought there were some entries where it just threw all the same ones in there, but I'm not going to dig that deep.

If you look in these posts and comments, you can see the emojis don't make any sense:

I looked at a few of these on the new server and they all look exactly the same, which isn't really surprising. Not sure why the wrong emoticons got inserted into those comments, that must have been a bug with the upgrader at the time. If they are all frown icons, it would be easy enough to go through and remove them from the comments with a database query. The formatting isn't as easy to fix, though, not sure why the returns got stripped out. After this conversion is done and the new forum is live, we can look at them to see if there's some automated way to fix them.

..Al

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on the site, forum and store upgrades.. Received an updated version of the forum skin today, it's coming along, although lots of stuff I still want to tweak. As I don't really want to spend more money on this (I'm up to about $500 now just for the skin designer), I'll continue tweaking it myself from this point.

forumskin.png

I'm focusing right now on getting caught up on store orders again, and once I get those shipped out I'll be concentrating on finishing up the code changes to the main site, then get the store updated to the newest version, then finish up various forum-related tasks (such as finishing up the theme) and doing another test conversion to make sure I can get all the way through it without any surprise issues popping up, as I don't want that to happen once I'm ready to migrate the live site and forum..

..Al

• Like 12

Looks awesome so far. Hasn't given me the "Ugh, I hate it when websites change the UI" thought at all! (Mostly from the current trend to spread out everything with tons of whitespace and remove all the useful data.)

Also looks like you're not forcing infinite scroll. That was the last straw for Digg back in the day. :)

Here are two screenshots of the AtariAge forum theme running on a phone:

forum_mobile_1.png

forum_mobile_2.png

Unlike the current forum, there will be no separate "mobile" theme for the updated forum. All themes are responsive and should look good on desktop, phone and tablet browsers.

..Al

• Like 12

Not having a separate mobile theme is good news. The current mobile theme looks good, but lacks functionality compared to the desktop version.

Have you considered taking donations to offload some of the other tedious work (assuming that there's more that could be done by 3rd parties)? I'm sure there are many of us that would be happy to donate to help reduce your time and effort with this upgrade.

• Like 1