IGNORED

The critic has spoken ...

phoenixdownita

I'm sure this post was actually started as a means of poking fun and publicly shaming me for the C+

For all intents and purposes I was just very surprised, C+ is a lot for the critic.

Here's is the Jag list sorted by score:

https://videogamecritic.com/jaguar.htm?ex=1

The C+ puts FF64 CD in the same bucket as Defender 2000, Primal Rage CD, Val D'Isere and WTR .... that's huge!!!!

It's above Doom .... check it out for yourself.

I really hate adding to this conversation, I do... whenever this comes up, I want to say something, and then I hold back because I just don't want to be a dick.

I bought Frogz 64... the idea was awesome, the game COULD have been awesome, but it's has so many bugs that you just can't even play it. It's unfortunate because it looks like there was a lot of effort put into the game. If I had to use an analogy... it's like you were running a 5k, you just finished the 3rd mile... and you've got the last 1/4 of a mile left, and you decided to go home.

I don't think you have bad ideas, I think you're creative, and I think all of these games could have been great... but you just gave up. Your arrogance and stubbornness prevented you from working through the bugs... so you end up with an almost unplayable set of games.

Sorry man, I hate bashing someone else's hard work... but it's like you just gave up before crossing the finish line, and then decided to sell it anyway.

• Like 3

but it's like you just gave up before crossing the finish line, and then decided to sell it anyway.

He gave up long before that, as previous threads and documented conversations prove. His rent was due. I've no idea why anyone gives him the benefit of the doubt, given all the lies and bullshit he's spread.

• Like 6

He gave up long before that, as previous threads and documented conversations prove. His rent was due. I've no idea why anyone gives him the benefit of the doubt, given all the lies and bullshit he's spread.

I suppose you're right. I'm not even really sure why everyone says the packaging is spot on. The box for my game looked like it was printed on an HP Desk Jet and then put together with double-sided Scotch tape. The version I have is so incredibly buggy, that if I can even make it to the second level, stuff just starts appearing on the screen. Ugh... man, I feel bad.

But you know why I feel bad? Because I know how much effort programming is. I've been a developer for 20 years. The worst feeling in the world is when you're rushed into a meeting room to demo some applications you've written and they're not ready. You want to put a huge try/catch around your entire damn program.

I didn't know his rent was due... but still... seems like a really shitty thing to just "throw away" all your hard work just because you gotta pay rent. Go mow some lawns, check the coin return in pay phones... whatever you gotta do... but selling crap and throwing away hard work is just bad.

I feel bad, I really don't want to trash this guy... but damn... what failed opportunity, and totally wasted effort.

• Like 6

If I had to use an analogy... it's like you were running a 5k, you just finished the 3rd mile... and you've got the last 1/4 of a mile left, and you decided to go home.

... I want to be that guy .. on a 5K after you just finished the 3rd mile you are at 1/16 of a mile from the finish line, so much closer that one could crawl across the line.

... I want to be that guy .. on a 5K after you just finished the 3rd mile you are at 1/16 of a mile from the finish line, so much closer that one could crawl across the line.

Well, if we're getting technical, it's actually 1/10th of a mile. Since a 5k = 3.11 miles.

But still... how hard could it have been to fix all those bugs?

For all intents and purposes I was just very surprised, C+ is a lot for the critic.

Here's is the Jag list sorted by score:

https://videogamecritic.com/jaguar.htm?ex=1

The C+ puts FF64 CD in the same bucket as Defender 2000, Primal Rage CD, Val D'Isere and WTR .... that's huge!!!!

It's above Doom .... check it out for yourself.

I think his Jag scores are generous...unlike his Lynx scores, which makes me think that he has never actually played the system and is just basing his opinion on YouTube playthroughs. APB a D?! STUN Runner a C?! And that review for Slime World (F-!) is beyond stupid. And review Klax if you want to be taken seriously, for gods sake.
  • Like 1

APB is missing the prisoner confession sequence and your forward view is a bit limited, which puts it behind the ST version for myself, but it's still an amazing conversion.

Slimeworld? If he was talking the Genesis version i would say F- was harsh.

Lynx version is fantastic.

Stun Runner..hmmn.

Mixed reviews even at the time.

68 EGM

70 Digital Press

630 ACE magazine.

I think for some, once the wow factor wears off, the arcade games shallow gameplay becomes apparent.

But that's the risk with converting coin op games designed to keep you pumping coins in to continue the audio visual over load.

They don't stand upto long play, but were never designed for that purpose in mind.

• Like 2

APB is missing the prisoner confession sequence and your forward view is a bit limited, which puts it behind the ST version for myself, but it's still an amazing conversion.

Slimeworld? If he was talking the Genesis version i would say F- was harsh.

Lynx version is fantastic.

Stun Runner..hmmn.

Mixed reviews even at the time.

68 EGM

70 Digital Press

630 ACE magazine.

I think for some, once the wow factor wears off, the arcade games shallow gameplay becomes apparent.

But that's the risk with converting coin op games designed to keep you pumping coins in to continue the audio visual over load.

They don't stand upto long play, but were never designed for that purpose in mind.

If APB gets docked points for being incomplete, well, so should Raiden, which is either missing music (Telegames' release) or glitchy (the Atari beta). Here, though, he gives it an "A". I know I'm harping on this, but his guide doesn't have much utility (at least for Lynx games) because ratings are all over the place and he seems to dislike certain gaming genres. His review of Lynx Warbirds is typical: "beautiful graphics for a combat simulator, blah blah, but it's got sluggish controls (these are not supposed to be F-35s!) and it's not an arcade aerial combat shooter, so I'm giving it a D". Well, I could give GTA: Vice City an F because it's not Crazy Taxi, but that would be nonsense. Just review the game that's presented to you, and not the type of game you wanted to see!

• Like 2

Review scores are subjective and over the years of magazine reading, my mindset changed to one of wishing the major publications would ditch them entirely.

If they refused to name reviewers, have a second opinion box out to give some balance..it seemed to be accepting people were going to jump straight to scores and ignore most of what was written anyway.

Now we live in an era where From Software fans are apparently giving Shadows Die Twice poor reviews, because it differs so much from the Souls and Bloodborne games..that's because it is different..it's more in line with Tenchu series.

The argument in UK Press back in the day with coin op conversions (that had no extras and indeed had bits missing) on all formats, simply boiled down to:

How much did you like the coin op?

Would you happily of pumped £10/£25 upwards into the coin op? (At 10p or 20p a shot.. £1 if it were a hydraulic coin op), because that's what your being asked to do, by buying a home version.

The simulation aspects of Warbirds are pretty open to interpretation. .

No heat seeking missiles , just up close and personal dogfighting and you can turn engines on/off..but yeah..they literally were flying crates in effect, so of course they are sluggish.

It used to annoy me when reviewers moaned about sloth like pace of movement in Mech Games...they are mobile artillery platforms/Walking Tanks..they stomp..they aren't intended as Recon platforms..so speed isn't what they offer.

If you go into AVP Jaguar expecting Doom

Killzone 2 on PS3 expecting COD

Alien Isolation expecting a James Cameron type Alien experience rather than Ridley Scott...

Your gonna feel burned.

But people did and then there it was ..those infamous scores and comments about PC Doom only deserving a 7 as you couldn't talk to the foes you encountered

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Still waiting, by the way...

You said two years ago you'd replace my Frogz cart... said you'd send me a new one. After your SharkByte post, you said you were sorry and that you'd send it this time... "for real."

... It's July 6th. Still haven't seen that replacement Frogz 64 cart. Mine is totally unplayable. It gets completely messed up within the first level, and then when it goes to the second level, the title screen comes back on over the game I'm playing. It's ridiculous.