IGNORED

Arcade conversion Rom Hacks?

redsteakraw

So the Atari VCS has had a tone of Arcade ports to the system and has tones of games that could have been arcade games in their own right(Yars Revenge, Keystone Kapers). What I am wondering is are there any arcade rom hacks that can turn a 2600 into a home arcade and if someone wired up a coin mech would accept coin credits? I had the idea that home consoles can be arcades in their own right given arcade sticks a cabinet and monitor and given flash carts you can cycle between games without having to switch out any cartridges. Given flash carts can run hacks and modded games has anyone tried this? Is this a dumb idea to begin with? If you had a 2600 arcade cabinet what games would you think would you most like to see modded?

What I am wondering is are there any arcade rom hacks that can turn a 2600 into a home arcade and if someone wired up a coin mech would accept coin credits? I had the idea that home consoles can be arcades in their own right given arcade sticks a cabinet and monitor and given flash carts you can cycle between games without having to switch out any cartridges.

So, an Atari version of the NES Playchoice-10 system.

Some of the demo kiosks provide for time-limited play, so I would suggest starting with that hardware, and then adding a coin mech (presumably tied to the Game Reset switch).

Do you expect that a 2600-based game system will actually generate meaningful revenue?

You may also want to think about licensing issues. IP holders may not take kindly to using their games (homebrew or commercial releases) for this purpose.

So, an Atari version of the NES Playchoice-10 system.

Some of the demo kiosks provide for time-limited play, so I would suggest starting with that hardware, and then adding a coin mech (presumably tied to the Game Reset switch).

Do you expect that a 2600-based game system will actually generate meaningful revenue?

You may also want to think about licensing issues. IP holders may not take kindly to using their games (homebrew or commercial releases) for this purpose.

I was thinking at the very least have the coin mech tied to the reset button which is tied to a killscreen in most games. Since most games are abandonware this shouldn't be an issue. If you have the actual carts inside the actual arcade cab I personally don't see any problems.

Most games are *NOT* abandonware.

Homebrews, definitely not - and most 2600 games properties are owned by Atari, or whoever licensed them to Atari (i.e. arcade conversions).

This, however, should be ok (I would think):

If you have the actual carts inside the actual arcade cab I personally don't see any problems.

Edited by PacManPlus

I've seen a few arcade conversions like this where you plug the game into a slot in the joystick panel (which basically has a VCS board bolted underneath with home-made joystick cables run to the arcade controls, reset/select buttons wired etc). It's easy enough to buy some lumber and build a cab and wire it up to a spare TV. You can get custom vinyl and overlays printed.

Best advice, having done stuff like this is: don't underestimate the amount of work involved. And don't do it half-assed. Make it a 6 month project and do it right and it'll be pretty amazing. Had one on display at a retro expo I went to that was really neat, and got lots of play.