IGNORED

Colecovision Expansion Module 1 Resistor/Diode

Izen

• 1 month later...

Hi again!

Sorry it's been a while since I've posted about the progress of this, but I would up taking it to a guy who repairs consoles by me. He was able to get some picture on the screen, but he determined that it must be one of the chips. Are there any replacements that can be purchased from anywhere, or is it just not worth it? I'm attaching the picture of what the screen looks like. Thanks!

post-64605-0-75337400-1556547202_thumb.jpeg

Two of the chips (those that begin with 65xx) are easier to find. One is a 6532, the RIOT chip. The other is a 6507, the CPU. The E4002 is Coleco's clone of the TIA but it's not pin compatible. You're only going to find a replacement in another EM1.

Is that picture rolling, or is it showing a stable 8 blank stripes? Does the pattern change with different cartridges?

Two of the chips (those that begin with 65xx) are easier to find. One is a 6532, the RIOT chip. The other is a 6507, the CPU. The E4002 is Coleco's clone of the TIA but it's not pin compatible. You're only going to find a replacement in another EM1.

Is that picture rolling, or is it showing a stable 8 blank stripes? Does the pattern change with different cartridges?

I'm glad that two of them are at least a little easier to find. My guy says that the lines are static and are the same regardless of the game.

The CPU seems to be working (otherwise you probably wouldn't even get a picture), so that leaves the 6532 or the E4002 as possibilities. It acts as if it's going into vertical retrace 8 or 9 times, and it fails completely to do horizontal retrace. If the 6532 had faulty memory, it's possible that the game might be tricked into entering retrace early due to faulty data, but different cartridges use the memory differently, so I'd expect them to have different characteristics in that case. That means there's probably a partial failure of the E4002.

If your repair guy has a scope or signal analyzer, he can look at the sync and luma output pins on the E4002 to get an idea of what it thinks it's doing. They're all digital at the chip.

He probably does, but I think he's done with it since it's a pain to replace the chips on it. If I could get my hands on one of the E4002 I would probably attempt to do it myself, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Thanks though!