IGNORED

Geneve BUS Mouse Adapter

Shift838

or use the pinout the mice i have a bunch of :) and that you have one

I have verified the mouse you sent does not have all of the pins hooked up (8 out of 9). The mouse is a proprietary hardware mouse. I plan on trying to verify which one I am missing on that mouse. I know which are the buttons already. Just need to determine which is for X1, X2, Y1 and Y2.

Edited by Shift838

So it does not look like the Headstart Explorer bus mouse has any type of requirement for 5v. I have jury rigged a connector with the correct pin assignments for movement and buttons, but the Geneve does not recognize anything from the mouse. Even though I found the wiring diagram for this mouse on the internet I verified with a ohm meter of what pin was used for buttons and direction. Still no go with this one.

I have another idea. post something when I know more.

• Like 1

Since I have had bad luck with purchasing a working BUS mouse and since there are so many BUS mice that are proprietary an with the limited standard PC BUS mouse in the market coupled with some high prices I decided to pursue a PS/2 mouse and coded a ATMEGA328 to translate the PS/2 mouse signals. After a couple of hours of coding I now have a working PS/2 mouse hooked up to the Geneve! All 3 buttons work as well as movement. i purchased the mouse off of Amazon for $7.00.

I have only tested in CYA with the mouse test option.

So for all you Geneve mouse guys out there, what other programs can I test for mouse functionality. I found a program in Advanced Basic manual that calls the mouse routines but I get sub program not found with the program in Advanced Basic 4.05.

I need to draw it all out on paper before I forget it. Post more later.

• Like 1

I have tested the mouse with MyArt. I'm not a MyArt user, in fact this was probably the first time I have ever ran it!

It all worked.

For you MyArt Users please verify the below so I can be sure my buttons are hooked up correctly.

I'm a right handed person so:

Left Button Draws

Right Button Brings up the color palette selector

let me know what the middle button is supposed to do.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

so after quite a bit of testing, i believe I have a stable version. Went to PS/2 as I stated in earlier postings.

I had to figure out a few bugs in my code, it seems to be working well. I have tested it with Insane's mouse tester as well as MyArt. All the buttons are mapped correctly.

I had to add some circuitry for the ATMEL chip i'm using.

Right handed or left handed selectable as well.

I'll be doing some triple checking and a bit more testing before I send it off for a few test boards. Once I verify the test boards I will be offering it boards up for a pre-order purchase on my store just as I did for the SCART Genie boards.

post-35187-0-49592000-1557368878.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know at which rate the mouse is polled? I'd like to know it in order to improve the mouse emulation in MAME for the Geneve. Currently, in MAME the mouse is polled at every video interrupt (60 Hz), which I believe is not correct; the rate must be much higher.

In fact, the mouse emulation has some glitches - it only works as long as the video interrupt is enabled. This includes the left button, which is sensed by the 9901, not by the v9938. I noticed that in the real system there are only two lines per axis, so I'd suspect that they carry values like 0, +1, -1 (while in MAME, values in the 8-bit range are sensed). But this does not suffice when polled at 60 Hz, because the mouse would need at least 4 seconds to travel from left to right (256 columns, move up to 60 columns per second).

I could not find this (actually quite important) information in the v9938 specification document.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned back from Atlanta and my protoboards for my mouse genie were waiting. I'll be putting one together to perform testing. hoping to get it tested tomorrow•

If all goes well with testing I will Start a pre order very Soon.

I may offer to purchase a PS/2 ball mouse with the Mouse Genie.

post-35187-0-20877200-1558937786_thumb.png

• Like 2

I got one built and it works like a charm. I'll be putting up a pre-buy soon and will post here.

I'm toying with the idea of offering a mouse with the pre-buy option. I will be offering the standard Hammond 1591XXL case as that is what it is designed for

The mouse I have tested with and seems to work very well and much better than any optical mouse I have tested with is the older ball PS/2 mice.

I'm thinking of offering a few different pre-buys, let me know your thoughts.

1. Full built and tested with cable and case

2. Kit Only (no cable or case) just pcb and components (with pre-programmed ATMEGA328P)

3. Built and tested PCB and cable without case

I'm thinking of including an option to buy a mouse with it as well.

post-35187-0-60720300-1559013498_thumb.png

post-35187-0-93200600-1559013548_thumb.png

• Like 4

Chris,

I noticed during the video you mentioned you had some issue(s) with some optimical mice you tested. Back in the day, I modified a Logitech Bus mouse I thought was equivalent to some information that was out there rather than buying a Myarc mouse. Just for your information, what I ended up finding out, there were "low" and "high" resolution mice such that the movement distance between one mouse and another gave different distance of responses on the screen.

If you have found a mouse that works, all the more reason to offer the mouse with the setup.

My 2 cents.

Beery

• Like 2