IGNORED

Arcade 1UP - Series 1 Countercades

• 2 weeks later...

Arcade 1up - Asteroids 8-1 Partycade MOD to PC 12-1
==================================================
GOAL :Using All in one HP PC to do 12-1 dedicated games to match
the original Asteroids theme. (More can be added later).
==================================================

Added - 4 games Tempest Tubes [MOD], Space Duel, Quantum, Major Havoc

Added enhanced graphics, and display overlays for these games:
--------------
Asteroids - bezel overlay, crt monitor with burn in, and curvature
Asteroids deluxe - overlay of background
Lunar Lander - overlay graphics with LED
Warlords - Overlay showing castle graphics and instruction bezel

----------
Fixed - Super Breakout plays all 3 variations (Cavity, Double, Progressive)

Fixed - All spinner games work properly

Rationale - Replace the standard 8 games, and add 4 more, while fixing controls
for spinner games.

NOTE: YES, there are 2 more vertical games, but they are fine on a slightly larger screen.
- Quantum
- Tempest Tubes

YES, there is are trackball games too, because I liked vector games:
- Quantum
- Major Havoc can also use a spinner

Technical Details:
=========================================
Controls - 1 arcade joystick for all button games
         - 1 logitech marble trackball 
         - 1 custom USB spinner

Graphics - Built in Widescreen 16:10 17 inch LCD
Aspect ratio - 4:3, fullscreen, zoom - adjustable per games

Sound    - Built in stereo speakers
Volume  - Full 0-100 internal, and external volume
        - Stereo Sound

Simplicity - Basically replaces all the Arcade 1up screen, controls, and PCB.

Yes, I know, basically I ended up buying it for the shell, but I am
planning on doing something with PCB and controls somewhere, if they
ever fix the spinner issues with the steps.
================================================

games: Final listing of games, types, controls
=====================================
Horizontal - Buttons
---------------------
Asteroids - Horizontal - Buttons - Enhanced graphics bezel, CRT curvature, burn-in
Asteroid Deluxe - Horizontal - Buttons - Enhanced graphics overlay
Gravitar - Horizontal - Buttons

Spinner - Horizontal
----------------------
Avalanche - Horizontal - Spinner or Trackball
Lunar Lander - Horizontal - Buttons and spinner for thrust - Enhanced LED and panel
Major Havoc - Horizontal - Spinner or Trackball
Warlords - Horizontal - Spinner - Enhanced graphics bezel and overlay

Spinner - Vertical
------------------
Super Breakout - Vertical - Spinner - Added 2 other variants
Tempest - Vertical - Spinner
Tempest Tubes (mod) - Vertical - Spinner

Trackball - Vertical
---------------------
Quantum - Vertical - Trackball

Software
======================
Free software x-launchpad for Windows 7
Free MAME 0.106
Free graphics and artwork located on MAME art sites

Setup
=======================
I have launchpad setup with custom Arcade 1up graphics.

Made shortcuts to launch command line version of games with options,
full screen, vector effects, and controls.

Use trackball for selections and starting.

Map all keyboard functions to joystick.

From there, just click on the Marquee of the game to play,
when it ends, it returns back to selection screen.

parts needed
------------
None - but will be removing bezel from PC to make
it fit into cabinet.

Will also either use a custom control panel,
or drill holes in current one

Add on Price - $0 (FREE PC from friend) - $100
      - $30 Trackball
      - $30 Custom USB Spinner
      - $30 USB Arcade joystick
==============================
$90 - $190

Steps and Disassembly
===============================
Open up back of partycade, remove
sides, remove bezel and monitor.

Remove control panel (optional)

Find support for monitor to be right height
(mines a little high right now).

Also need to remove bezel to make it fit.

===========================================
Time to completion, about 1 hour.

Final thoughts
==========================================
This is a HUGE improvement over the original.
4 Extra games
Previous games all have enhanced graphics, sounds and controls
that work properly and fit each game.

I can add as many games as I want later on.

Difficulty level of Mod : moderate if doing all control panel and screen properly
                          beginner if you just placing screen and controls separately

ast-12n1mod-00menu.jpg

ast-12n1mod-0pc.jpg

ast-12n1mod-1asteroids.jpg

ast-12n1mod-2astdlx.jpg

ast-12n1mod-3avlnch.jpg

ast-12n1mod-4gravitar.jpg

ast-12n1mod-5lunar.jpg

ast-12n1mod-6major.jpg

ast-12n1mod-7quantum.jpg

ast-12n1mod-8spaceduel.jpg

ast-12n1mod-9sbreak01.jpg

ast-12n1mod-9sbreak02.jpg

ast-12n1mod-9sbreak03.jpg

ast-12n1mod-10tempest.jpg

ast-12n1mod-11temptubes.jpg

ast-12n1mod-12warlords.jpg

parrtycade1.jpg

later

• 2 months later...

I really like that Atari Partycade, and it has a nice mix of games on it.

If you're in Canada, you can order the Countercades (no Partycades) online from London Drugs.  I paid about $160 US for the PacMan 40th anniversary model.  They have most of the other Countercades, but I thought this one had the best mix of games.  https://www.londondrugs.com/arcade1up/?srule=Price - Low to High&start=0&sz=6

More: Today I picked up the PacMan 40th anniversary model I ordered.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a CounterCade after reading some of the negative comments prior, but after spending an hour playing it I'm really pleased.  I was surprised at how hefty and solid it feels, and the joystick and buttons are more substantial and responsive than I had expected.  The case and graphics are actually of nice quality.  The sound quality is decent enough for a small speaker, and the mix of games is not bad, though skimpy at just four.  My jury is still out on Pac & Pal, but the other three games (PacMan, Galaga and Dig Dug) are solid.

One minor negative: the display itself.  The graphics are not pixel perfect, but seem to be run through some slightly blurry filter.  I think Arcade1Up are trying to make the graphics look like a half-burnt out old CRT, but it's kind of a mixed result.  I don't hate it, but I think they would've been better off just to scale up the pixels evenly without any added effect.  Still, I find it's fine for playing.

I've looked at the other Countercades currently available, and I think this is the best mix of games for the current units.  If I had another negative, it's that for the money, even four games is kind of chintzy.  I really would like to see these come with a broader mix of game.  The Atari standup has about 10 games, and that seems about right to me.  If they ever come out with a Countercade with Asteroids and a mix of other old Atari classics, I would definitely be interested.

20210323_190923.jpg

Edited by ls650

13 hours ago, ls650 said:

More: Today I picked up the PacMan 40th anniversary model I ordered.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a CounterCade after reading some of the negative comments prior, but after spending an hour playing it I'm really pleased.  I was surprised at how hefty and solid it feels, and the joystick and buttons are more substantial and responsive than I had expected.  The case and graphics are actually of nice quality.  The sound quality is decent enough for a small speaker, and the mix of games is not bad, though skimpy at just four.  My jury is still out on Pac & Pal, but the other three games (PacMan, Galaga and Dig Dug) are solid.

One minor negative: the display itself.  The graphics are not pixel perfect, but seem to be run through some slightly blurry filter.  I think Arcade1Up are trying to make the graphics look like a half-burnt out old CRT, but it's kind of a mixed result.  I don't hate it, but I think they would've been better off just to scale up the pixels evenly without any added effect.  Still, I find it's fine for playing.

I've looked at the other Countercades currently available, and I think this is the best mix of games for the current units.  If I had another negative, it's that for the money, even four games is kind of chintzy.  I really would like to see these come with a broader mix of game.  The Atari standup has about 10 games, and that seems about right to me.  If they ever come out with a Countercade with Asteroids and a mix of other old Atari classics, I would definitely be interested.

20210323_190923.jpg

they won't put that many games on the countercades.

get the partycade instead, most have 8 games on them, better larger screen, more room for the controls, and a much better price for value.

only problem is that some games have control issues, especially the trackball ones.

later

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

get the partycade instead, most have 8 games on them, better larger screen, more room for the controls, and a much better price for value.

only problem is that some games have control issues, especially the trackball ones.

The problem is that I haven't found anywhere in Canada that sells PartyCades, yet there are at least a dozen different chains that carry the CounterCade.

If you can recommend either a Canadian seller or an American retailer that won't charge a fortune for shipping, please let me know.

I was *almost* too late to the party to get one of those $50 walmart.com galaga countercades, but it arrived today, and for $50, I'm happy, I guess.  The 'countercade' size really makes more sense with the thickness of materials used.  My stick 'clonks' when going right, and that screen's polarization was clearly meant for horizontal use--oh, I really could go on...  But I knew these things and more going in, and galaga/'88 makes a neat enough 'shelf thing' for me to want more of them (for $50). 

I do have a plan for this one, though.  I use an MP3 player for arcade ambiance, since playing my big cab by itself feels lonely.  That mp3 player is usb powered, and auto-plays when power is applied.  I think that device is about to live inside this galaga/'88.

19 hours ago, ls650 said:

The problem is that I haven't found anywhere in Canada that sells PartyCades, yet there are at least a dozen different chains that carry the CounterCade.

If you can recommend either a Canadian seller or an American retailer that won't charge a fortune for shipping, please let me know.

There are always several on Ebay, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for them. Some are around that price range.

later

• 3 weeks later...

I like the PacMan Countercade I bought a couple of weeks ago so much, that today I picked up a Centipede model. Just spent about 30 minutes playing Centipede, and really like it.  I also tried out the included Missile Command, and it wasn't so great.  The problem is that by the time they squeeze its 4:3 landscape layout onto the portrait display, the bottom and top couple of inches of the screen go unused.  I think they should have gone with a portrait game that uses trackball instead.  

20210409_172530.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 8:51 PM, ls650 said:

I like the PacMan Countercade I bought a couple of weeks ago so much, that today I picked up a Centipede model. Just spent about 30 minutes playing Centipede, and really like it.  I also tried out the included Missile Command, and it wasn't so great.  The problem is that by the time they squeeze its 4:3 landscape layout onto the portrait display, the bottom and top couple of inches of the screen go unused.  I think they should have gone with a portrait game that uses trackball instead.  

20210409_172530.jpg

I still don't know why they didn't put millipede on there. I had one, and gave it away to a friend.

This was after throwing away the trashy trackball, which is useless, and replacing it with Glens trackball,

which plays so much better.

later

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok missed this topic when I made that other post.

Ended up with the newer gen of the counter-cade Galaga/Galaga 88 machine.  I was told you could get like a $25 part and between that, you can use a Pi or something, to get the thing to run a lot more games even within the 3 buttons it has on the face of the thing as I would not want to carve it up at all.  Just curious to see what the options are in case I'd decide to make a move.  I know an iCade is doable, saw that, no interest as I have one in my cocktail.

I would guess the $25 part is an encoder board to connect the buttons and joystick to the Pi. But I think you'd also need another ~$25 part to convert the HDMI out from the Pi to whatever input the A1up monitor uses. I've just gathered this from watching various modding tutorial videos. I think you have to do a bit of research as the monitor types vary between some of the cabinets.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is there a problem with button response on these countercades?  The Galaga/Galaga 88 one I got a month or so ago I swear I feel like it's not picking up each time I press fire.  I'm having some stupid deaths at lower levels of high scoring on the old original, and in turn as the other is more active I feel like I'm missing shots there too but don't have the play on a real one to know for certain.  I don't hate it, its' fun in short bursts, but I think I could score better.  Normally a bad game for me is like 70K on Galaga and I stuggle to get north of 50K on this.  I can't roll the machine, never bothered to memorize every stupid pattern, but for me good is in the 6 figures around Wave 15-20+.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is there a problem with button response on these countercades?  The Galaga/Galaga 88 one I got a month or so ago I swear I feel like it's not picking up each time I press fire.  I'm having some stupid deaths at lower levels of high scoring on the old original, and in turn as the other is more active I feel like I'm missing shots there too but don't have the play on a real one to know for certain.  I don't hate it, its' fun in short bursts, but I think I could score better.  Normally a bad game for me is like 70K on Galaga and I stuggle to get north of 50K on this.  I can't roll the machine, never bothered to memorize every stupid pattern, but for me good is in the 6 figures around Wave 15-20+.

I think most in this thread will say it's fine, but I certainly have trouble with the relative sluggishness of the buttons on the Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo unit. It might be down to manufacturing tolerances.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think the problem is the buttons themselves, which based on my experience with the Asteroids cabinet are very stiff and have to be pressed a relatively long distance to register. It's an easy modification to swap those out for nicer buttons but it would be great if they would just spend the extra dollar per button to put good ones in to begin with.

Edited by Zoyous
  • Like 1

Hmm so either it's a manufacturer issue or a tolerance issue, or both.

If one wanted to swap out the buttons, is it that easy to put maybe a more reliable internal mechanism while keeping the original outer button face?  I know I can't be crazy it's just not registering maybe 10-20% of the time when I push the button and I doubt it's some badly coded copy or emulation problem.  I like to use it, but I use it less than I would if I didn't hit the problem.  I mean if I had to deal with it for 5hours or so of play to break it in, so be it, but if it's just going to suck there's got to be a fix.

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hmm so either it's a manufacturer issue or a tolerance issue, or both.

If one wanted to swap out the buttons, is it that easy to put maybe a more reliable internal mechanism while keeping the original outer button face?  I know I can't be crazy it's just not registering maybe 10-20% of the time when I push the button and I doubt it's some badly coded copy or emulation problem.  I like to use it, but I use it less than I would if I didn't hit the problem.  I mean if I had to deal with it for 5hours or so of play to break it in, so be it, but if it's just going to suck there's got to be a fix.

When I've gotten new buttons, the microswitch or leaf switch mechanism is actually fitted inside the plastic button housing in a specific way. So although it might be possible to pair one brand of button with a different brand switch, you might be opening up a can of worms where it's more time-consuming than it's really worth. Fortunately, even very good buttons are fairly cheap (although shipping is, as always, a factor). And I usually just swap out the buttons that are used during gameplay... I don't mind the stock buttons for Player 1 and Player 2 start. It seems kind of appropriate for them to have a different feel. You'll also need to get some wires that have plug-and-play quick disconnects.

Here's a good guide:

That doesn't seem TOO bad, mostly just finding the one set of 2 wires from the control board up to the crap button, replacing the bad button and wire for it, replacing it with a new screw up Happ(etc) style piece with its new wire that is plug n play to the A1up board and it should work.

i've never had any problems with the buttons on the dig dug countercade, or ms pac man/super pac-man countercade,

or any of the partycades.

i can hit 1,000,000 in galaga, and dig dug, pac-man, etc. got to 300k on super pac-man. maybe i'm just used to the buttons.

but at some point i might mod them.

later

• 3 weeks later...