IGNORED

Konami collections announced

Razzie.P

Rondo, NES 2, or Bloodlines?

I can see 1 and 3 being put in to increase sales.

I have some issues with them choosing DS titles. Not everyone was/is a handheld fan so the base is smaller than Bloodlines and NES 2.

Bloodlines is pretty popular and I can see people going for it.

People may not be a fan of handhelds, but putting some of those great games on consoles for people to play on their TVs would be a good thing.

• Like 1

I don't know if I trust the Konami we have today to put the games people want in that Castlevania Collection. The three they have announced already should definitely be there, and I think the other three should at least have Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night in the mix. We'll probably get the 1st Castlevania Adventure on the GB (NOT Rebirth), an even worse translated version of II on the NES, and emulation of the Tiger LCD handheld version of II. :lol:

As stated in the link in the first post to Konami's own site about this project and in several postings on the first page, it's a digital exclusive.

For instance, the Arcade Classics page states under the April 18th release date that the price is $19.99 and that it's a digital only release.

Edited by Atariboy

So, they have Contra III and Super C, which were pushed out on Virtual Console on pretty much every Nintendo system since Wii and also featured on the NES/SNES Classic; and the original arcade Contra and Super Contra, which had XBox 360, PS2, PS4, Windows and DS ports between them (and despite being how Contra began, most people don't even like these arcade versions). It's not like Super C and Contra 3 are bad games, but there's a bit of a pattern going on here with these first 4.

Edited by mgman

In an era of $5-$10 per game prices for emulated classic games, it's actually on the cheap side. $2.50 per game.

And like you said, there's always sales. Won't be hard I bet with a bit of patience to get this these packages for ~$15 and later on, even $10.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Digital only and 20? Ouch its lkke they think theyre square enix or namco. Sales happen is all I can add to that.

I'm totally cool with Konami charging $20 for a compilation of 8 games I want to play, some of which may be rare and expensive titles that were never released on any system I've owned. That's way better than Capcom trying to ram everyone by charging $30 for a digital copy of Resident Evil 4, which has already been released on every system that came out in the past decade and a half.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

In an era of $5-$10 per game prices for emulated classic games, it's actually on the cheap side. $2.50 per game.

And like you said, there's always sales. Won't be hard I bet with a bit of patience to get this these packages for ~$15 and later on, even $10.

That's what I'll hold out for because quite frankly it's not something I don't really already have as it is, so it's a bit redundant and so far would just be a convenience pick up. If it had something deep I would love to take a crack at like the Castlevania Adventure remaster from Wii, then I'd be more on board. It's not just being cheap, it's practical.

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the Castlevania lineup has been unveiled. Will be released on May 16th.

-Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

-Castlevania Bloodlines

-Castlevania the Adventure

-Kid Dracula (Famicom version)

The arcade collection is available today. No word yet on the lineup for the 2nd half of the Contra collection.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I'm pretty darn happy with the Castlevania lineup! I'll admit I was hoping that Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night would be in there, but I get that they were really going for it being a pre-Metroid influenced compilation. It's still great to see that Bloodlines made the cut, and getting an official English language version of Kid Dracula for the Famicom is nothing to sneeze at either. I loved the Game Boy version of Kid Dracula when I was growing up so finally getting to play it in color after all these years is a pretty tantalizing prospect. :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Konami is going to be patching the arcade collection to include the ability to play the Japanese versions on all platforms, a TATE mode for the Switch version, and the ability to view the Japanese scans in the extras.

Castlevania and Contra will include the ability to play the Japanese versions as well as both region's bonus content (And I would hope TATE mode on the Switch for arcade Contra and Super Contra is offered, although it hasn't yet been said that it will be). The now available Castlevania collection however will still require a patch that isn't yet available to open up these features, since the feedback from customers apparently came too late to include these options on day 1.

Still waiting to learn what the second half of the Contra collection will feature.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Konami is going to be patching the arcade collection to include the ability to play the Japanese versions on all platforms, a TATE mode for the Switch version, and the ability to view the Japanese scans in the extras.

Castlevania and Contra will include the ability to play the Japanese versions as well as both region's bonus content (And I would hope TATE mode on the Switch for arcade Contra and Super Contra is offered, although it hasn't yet been said that it will be). The now available Castlevania collection however will still require a patch that isn't yet available to open up these features, since the feedback from customers apparently came too late to include these options on day 1.

Still waiting to learn what the second half of the Contra collection will feature.

That is fantastic news if true (re: arcade pack). I doubt it will sell as well as the Castlevania collection but it's nice to see them going the extra mile with it.

I got the Castlevania Collection. It was definitely worth it to me as it has three of my favorites (original, Super, and Bloodlines). I think it was a missed opportunity to re-release the updated Adventure game that appeared on the Wii. Regardless, definitely worth $20.

So far I've played a little bit of original and Super. I suck just as much as I always have.

I'll probably get the Arcade Collection if it goes on sale for somewhere near half price. But these days Gradius just doesn't do much for me. Plus, I already have arcade Lifeforce on my PS4. And, I guess I would have rather seen the NES versions of Gradius and Lifeforce than the arcade games. As it is, the most tempting part of that package is Scramble.

• Like 2

Has CV2 been given a new translation on this collection? I don't recall any of the townspeople making sense or providing anything useful. But in the first town they seem to be giving useful hints.

I haven't compared it to my cart yet, but comparing it to an old dialog transcript I found online, it's the same in the first town.

Has CV2 been given a new translation on this collection? I don't recall any of the townspeople making sense or providing anything useful. But in the first town they seem to be giving useful hints.

It's the same. Now that I'm home, I popped in the cart to compare, and the dialog, at least in the first town, is the same.

I'll admit I was hoping that Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night would be in there, but I get that they were really going for it being a pre-Metroid influenced compilation.

Rondo isn't a Metroidvania-style game though.. it's original style Castlevania. So I'm surprised they didn't put that in, but yet the later Genesis game, Bloodlines game made the cut. Maybe they're saving Rondo for another $20 release. :P

Assuming it wasn't as simple as Konami just not wanting to anger PS4 customers a few months after the Rondo/SotN double pack was released, didn't I read that Sony had some sort of involvement with that earlier release on the PS4? Perhaps that tied their hands here with this collection. Edit: Konami said "Fans of the game will relive the timeless classics like never before thanks to Konami’s partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios to create these high-quality ports".

Either way, if these sell well, hopefully Sony finds a way to get Rondo out on the Switch and XB1 (And SotN on the Switch).

Edited by Atariboy