IGNORED

Konami collections announced

Razzie.P

Only Scramble for an early 1980's game disappoints me and the lineup is much smaller lineup for the arcade collection than I had hoped. But I'm interested, the price is right, and hopefully there will be multiple volumes later in the year. It's nice to see at least one Game Boy game here though. And I find it interesting that there's no sign yet that NES Contra is included.

Assuming NES Contra isn't one of the remaining games yet to be announced (It very well might be, with four empty slots and four Game Boy/NES games left in the franchise), I would love to know the story behind it. It was an unlockable on Contra IV for the DS not long before the Wii Virtual Console launched, but has remained absent on all incarnations of that service and of course was skipped for the NES Classic Edition.

Super C regularly appears though, so something presumably is keeping the better known original locked away.

Edited by Atariboy

Shame the arcade volume is partially made up of existing PS4 Arcade Archives releases (that I already have). I'll be less likely to double-dip for it. Curious what the other collections will entail though. My guess when it comes to Contra titles is it'll be the arcade and NES games, maybe the 16-bit ones as well. I can't see Konami going past that.

• Like 2

I'm curious what they'll do for Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. They'd be major absences here if skipped, but Konami also just recently released a digital collection of the two on the PS4.

They're going to be between a rock and a hard place with that one. Skip them and they'll be criticized for leaving such a gaping hole in the lineup, particularly on the Switch/Steam (Xbox One can play the 360 port of SotN, but of course lacks Rondo). But include them and they'll be criticized for making fans on the PS4 that just recently supported them with last fall's release, having to rebuy them here to get the other 6 games.

Not a real problem and anyone buying classic gaming compilations should be well versed at this point that there's going to overlap and that not every game that they'd like to see will be included. But there will be some complaining with whatever direction they go for handling that.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Can't even get pass the stupid age check on any browser...so pure fail. :mad:

And it would be nice to have Rondo of Blood on the Xbox to go along with the Castlevania Collection....

Edited by MrMaddog

Can't even get pass the stupid age check on any browser...so pure fail. :mad:

And it would be nice to have Rondo of Blood on the Xbox to go along with the Castlevania Collection....

I didn't even enter an age. I just hit submit.

CSVA only has NES 1,3 with GB 2 and SNES 4.

Then it just has "coming soon" and "digital only".

If it was physical and contained ALL the games(or ones that will work without a touch screen) then I'd go for it. As a person that owns most of them already...I don't really have a need. But, I'm probably not the intended audience for it.

Interestingly their website does show preliminary titles for the Castlevania and Contra collections. Castlevania 1, 3 and 4, along with the second Game Boy game, are listed. Arcade Contra + Super Contra, NES Super C and SNES Contra III are set. Both packs have four other games that will be revealed at a later date.

I'm curious if they will be ignoring the original Contra like on the NES Classic.

8 Arcade Games? Is that some sort of joke? I remember the PS1 collection had 10, and actually had their classics: Time Pilot, Gyruss, Pooyan, and Scramble (plus Super Cobra which I never really liked)

The GBA equiavelent only had 6 games, but it also had remixes if you entered the Konami code.

• Like 2

I was hoping when the Australian ratings board gave us our first hint this was in the works, that this arcade collection would at least be as ambitious as the DS collection that M2 developed. But it's still a good value for fans of Konami shooters, especially if you're like me and haven't already bought several of these via the Arcade Archives program. $2.50 a game is about as good as it gets price wise for digital releases of emulated classic arcade games.

And reading the fine print makes it sound like this is just the first volume for Castlevania.

"The first Konami Castlevania Collection is designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise."

I suspect we can safely dismiss Symphony of the Night as a possibility then, since it's the start of the modern era of 2D Castlevania games. And if I were to bet, the first Game Boy game, Castlevania II, and Dracula X are probably good guesses since this is presumably emulation based and there are other GB/NES/SNES games present.

The big question I suspect is what that 4th game will be. I can think of at least three good possibilities.

Edited by Atariboy

I was hoping when the Australian ratings board gave us our first hint this was in the works, that this arcade collection would at least be as ambitious as the DS collection that M2 developed. But it's still a good value for fans of Konami shooters, especially if you're like me and haven't already bought several of these via the Arcade Archives program. $2.50 a game is about as good as it gets price wise for digital releases of emulated classic arcade games.

And reading the fine print makes it sound like this is just the first volume for Castlevania.

"The first Konami Castlevania Collection is designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise."

I suspect we can safely dismiss Symphony of the Night as a possibility then, since it's the start of the modern era of 2D Castlevania games. And if I were to bet, the first Game Boy game, Castlevania II, and Dracula X are probably good guesses since this is presumably emulation based and there are other GB/NES/SNES games present.

The big question I suspect is what that 4th game will be. I can think of at least three good possibilities.

Rondo, NES 2, or Bloodlines?

I can see 1 and 3 being put in to increase sales.

I have some issues with them choosing DS titles. Not everyone was/is a handheld fan so the base is smaller than Bloodlines and NES 2.

Bloodlines is pretty popular and I can see people going for it.

I'm definitely down for the Castlevania Collection based solely on the games already shown, though it sure would be cool if they end up fitting Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood, and Bloodlines into the empty slots. Even if it ends up being digital only I'll still pick it up on the Switch as long as it's $30 or less. I think $30 is about my maximum price threshold for anything digital.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

This is priced at $20 and is a digital exclusive.

And I wouldn't count on Symphony of the Night since the description says it's "designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise" and SotN is already available on the PS4 and XB1. But that statement is pretty open for interpretation as well, so you never know.

I'd personally like to see Bloodlines get some attention (And Contra Hard Corps on the Contra collection). Both are solid games and Konami has never reissued these Genesis classics while the rest of it has been regularly made available over the past couple of generations. Crossing my fingers for a single screen port of Contra IV as well.

Rondo, NES 2, or Bloodlines?

I can see 1 and 3 being put in to increase sales.

CV1 and 3 are already confirmed, so I'm thinking CV2 will be one of the four that is yet to be announced.

And like I said, I bet the first Game Boy game and Dracula X are also safe bets since there are already emulated Game Boy and SNES games announced for these collections. It seems logical if they've invested into emulating a platform to expect them to take full advantage of it if it saves them from perhaps having to commission the creation of another emulator (And we know Konami are cheapskates).

The three games that I'm thinking are the logical choices to draw the 4th unknown game from are Rondo of Blood, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Akumajō Dracula for the Sharp X68000 (Which North American fans better remember as Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1, thanks to that port). To me, the rest of the franchise represents Castlevania's modern era rather than the origins of the series.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth sort of fits the theme as well, but is a much more modern creation. So much like how Haunted Castle was slotted into an arcade collection here, hopefully Konami plans to release the long rumored collection of the Rebirth games during this anniversary year rather than sneaking it into one of these Castlevania collections.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Happy to see these collections. The Arcade Archives release of Salamander has all three variations... Salamander (JP), Life Force (US), and Life Force (JP). Hopefully all three will be available in this collection also since they have some substantial differences.

The Arcade collection is the one for me, and I'm glad they're putting it on Switch. I think the Contra and Castlevania collections are better done elsewhere, and I don't like those games as much anyway. Maybe when they fill up the lineup they will seem more compelling. Or I'll just get them for "collection" purposes because my brain is broken.

For twenty bucks I'd expect it to be a little bit more ... comprehensive though. Are they saving Frogger, Gyruss, Super Cobra and the others for Volume 2 or something?

I've never seen or heard of Haunted Castle. It's clearly an arcade cousin to Castlevania. Has anyone played it? I would guess that it's shallower than NES Castlevania and uglier than SNES Castlevania IV.

post-2410-0-54908200-1553090170_thumb.png

This is priced at $20 and is a digital exclusive.

And I wouldn't count on Symphony of the Night since the description says it's "designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise" and SotN is already available on the PS4 and XB1. But that statement is pretty open for interpretation as well, so you never know.

I'd personally like to see Bloodlines get some attention (And Contra Hard Corps on the Contra collection). Both are solid games and Konami has never reissued these Genesis classics while the rest of it has been regularly made available over the past couple of generations. Crossing my fingers for a single screen port of Contra IV as well.

CV1 and 3 are already confirmed, so I'm thinking CV2 will be one of the four that is yet to be announced.

And like I said, I bet the first Game Boy game and Dracula X are also safe bets since there are already emulated Game Boy and SNES games announced for these collections. It seems logical if they've invested into emulating a platform to expect them to take full advantage of it if it saves them from perhaps having to commission the creation of another emulator (And we know Konami are cheapskates).

The three games that I'm thinking are the logical choices to draw the 4th unknown game from are Rondo of Blood, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Akumajō Dracula for the Sharp X68000 (Which North American fans better remember as Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1, thanks to that port). To me, the rest of the franchise represents Castlevania's modern era rather than the origins of the series.

Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth sort of fits the theme as well, but is a much more modern creation. So much like how Haunted Castle was slotted into an arcade collection here, hopefully Konami plans to release the long rumored collection of the Rebirth games during this anniversary year rather than sneaking it into one of these Castlevania collections.

Sorry, I was going for option 1 or 3 of what I gave. Should have been clear on that.

I didn't think of Chronicles. i could see that as a possibility as it already has a port to the PS1.

The Arcade collection is the one for me, and I'm glad they're putting it on Switch. I think the Contra and Castlevania collections are better done elsewhere, and I don't like those games as much anyway.

That's got me curious. By "better done elsewhere," you mean they'll be better on other systems (why?), or have already been done better in previous releases (which ones?)?

That's got me curious. By "better done elsewhere," you mean they'll be better on other systems (why?), or have already been done better in previous releases (which ones?)?

I have them on 3DS and NES/SNES classic ... maybe not as complete a collection as is offered here, but plenty for me. I like but don't love them but it's fun to play them with the original controls.

All of this stuff, together, should be a collection. We deserve better; game preservation deserves better. The arcade collection alone should have twice as much stuff, at least.

they are going for themed collections obviously,

so putting the shooters together, and the other

ones seems fine to me.

the capcom arcade you could buy in a bundle or

each game separately.

i could care less about contra, and castlevania.

so i'm glad i'm not getting forced to pay for games

i don't want.

later

Edited by negative1