IGNORED

New 5200 player total cost buy..worth it?

Canaan

Ok this is an system I have always wanted to play so no matter what I'm happy with what I got lol. But I am curious what everybody thinks and would really appreciate any kind of input on what to do from here to get the most out this badass system. Here on my total cost, (shipping and tax) and equipment so far...I'm not done yet as I would love to find some controller adapters, trackball, etc...

1. 2 5200 2 port systems with broke

controllers : $65

2. Atarimax wafer drive : $136

3. 2 wico controllers with y cable and 1

keypad : $225

4. A broken mayflash interface was $125 but

I had to return it unfortunately

So I guess the total cost is 426 dolllars. So where to go from here would be an good starting point I guess. Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound new cause I am. First time actually playing this system is tonight.

Pictures will follow lol.

I never heard of a "wafer drive" but a google search brought me to amazon so I guess they were the ones that sold you the atarimax.

Also never heard of a "mayflash interface" Is it some sort of controller adapter?

I recommend playing a few games before going broke buying a bunch of stuff before playing a few games.

The "wafer drive" is from a guy here on AA who apparently buys Atarimax SD carts in bulk and rebrands them for some ungodly known reason and resells them.

As for the broken controllers, assuming that means keypads/fire buttons aren't working, there are things you can do to try and get them going again. Mainly hitting the flex circuit with an eraser and/or using foil tape on the conductive pads. Google and you'll find lots of info on that.

Or trade them in with Best Electronics and get some with new flex circuits and buttons. I traded in a few of mine and they work like a charm. Although the Wicos are often preferable over the stock controllers, so you are probably fine there. Of course it's personal preference with that, and they aren't friendly to lefties.

• Like 1

Yeah the mayfair interface is an super old adapter that let you connect any db9 cable controller and an 5200 controller together so you could use both... I found another jaguar controller adapter for the 5200 for like 80 dollars..when I get them I'll let you guys know what they are like...

Edited by Canaan

I think by ' Mayfair ' he actually means Masterplay. I'm going to assume he is using a phone instead of a PC and his auto-correct is putting in mayfair. That is what mine tries to do LOL!

The foil tape method for the controllers is a good cheap option and is actually what I've been doing for a very..very long time now. The WICO is nice, but I still end up using a set of original 5200 controllers in most of my games. The main issues I've had with the wico sticks is that the lock mech for one of the axis ends up breaking internally and so the stick won't actually self center anymore and ends up being floppy. I've got three of them and only 1 of them doesn't have this issue. The masterplay interface if you can get that working would be your best bet to use because again you could use any standard controller you wanted with it in most cases.

What is wrong with the 5200s that you state they aren't working? Another possibility with controller issues, isn't always the controllers but the multiplexer chips inside the console that direct the controller signals.

I still end up using a set of original 5200 controllers in most of my games.

IMHO the original controllers are so godawful even when repaired and fully functional. I use PC joysticks and gamepads via the Bohoki adapter available for around $12 each:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/

PC gameport controllers are plentiful on eBay and at Goodwills in the USA. 100% better than 35+ year old badly designed game-wrecking Atari controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMHO the original controllers are so godawful even when repaired and fully functional. I use PC joysticks and gamepads via the Bohoki adapter available for around $12 each:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268574-some-more-15-pin-gameport-pc-to-5200-adapters/

PC gameport controllers are plentiful on eBay and at Goodwills in the USA. 100% better than 35+ year old badly designed game-wrecking Atari controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And I personally have never like most PC controllers. I've owned a PC and played games on them since 1988 but I've always been a mouse and keyboard jockey. I tried various Gravis controllers and did eventually like the Gravis Extreme I used for years. Then tech caught up and I now use my PS4 controller on my PC whenever I want to use a controller. But I still tend to game with mouse and keyboard mostly.

As for the 5200 controllers, sure there are better options. But some games like Fractalus, Star Raiders, Star Wars:TAG, and Blaster play much better with the original controllers for me than digital solutions.

Thanks guys for the comments so far they are actually pretty helpful lol...and yes I was trying to say masterplay interface lololol...also, I meant to say that my controllers were messed up, not my systems.

Anyways I did manage to secure a total of 4 wico controllers with 2 y cables and an keypad for overall an fairly decent price, 2 atari jaguar controllers that are converted to play on the 5200's is on the way, and finally the really cool gentleman by the name of Bohoki replied back to me and sold me an adapter also...oh yeah and I found 2 trackball controllers that work for 50 dollars... I think I'm set lol. I've been playing a few days straight now and i must say that this system has an "red head step child" appeal to me... I love it but it makes me angry sometimes..those controllers and short wires ugh!!!....lol I kid ...I really do think this system and the way the games look and how they are played with an decent controller is totally underrated and should be given more credit.... Grelims, defender, and missle command ftw!!!!

Edited by Canaan

• 1 month later...

Yeah the mayfair interface is an super old adapter that let you connect any db9 cable controller and an 5200 controller together so you could use both... I found another jaguar controller adapter for the 5200 for like 80 dollars..when I get them I'll let you guys know what they are like...

Take the fire buttons and with the black part facing down, lightly rub them across a sheet of copy paper. That will fix the controller at least temporarily so that you can figure out if the flex circuit is good.

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, Canaan said:

So I guess the total cost is 426 dolllars. So where to go from here would be an good starting point I guess. Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound new cause I am. First time actually playing this system is tonight.

I'm brand new to the scene. I have over $660 invested and have yet to play a single game.

Hopefully it will all be worth it soon. Will report back...