IGNORED

Atari Computer Exhibit at Vintage Computer Festival East

Albert

Starts tomorrow people!!!! Leaving for the "Festival" super early saturday morning. Doing the round trip in one day.

Unless I can find a hotel @ a decent price. I hope to scratch that old computer meetup itch. I miss the ol'days of

computer fairs and get together with like minded people.

Here is our lodging advice: http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-east/vcf-east-lodging/

• Like 1

I also going to miss it. I need to be back in Washington DC at 9pm. It is not far but driving 4 hrs there +4 hrs back is going to kill me, not literally...

That's why I was asking for someone in the area to share driving duties.

Im almost there. We stopped by the beach first.But we did drive by the festival and their were people waiting to get in before the start.

I didnt make a avatar AA pic to wear.

But I have a rainbow Atari T-Shirt on and a Indian motorcycle baseball cap on.

Ill definitely take pictures

• Like 2

Well dad and I spent 7 hours at the museum, had a great time, and didn't finish- there's a lot of stuff and we're going back today to finish. Saw some pretty strange Ataris. We got there at 9:30, parking was completely full there and at the baseball field next door. I had to park at the college on Monmouth Blvd. But by the time I did that, they had opened up the gate to the general public and there was some more parking- so I don't know how it went after that. By the time I dealt with that, we could not get into the Unix talk- It was packed. Not a complaint- just a warning. If you want to see Joe Decuir this morning- I wouldn't mess around. I've already warned dad. One last thing.. The moon is in the right position right now for beaming your voice to the moon and back from the Dianna site- which I got a kick out of personally. They give a nice talk there too if you are interested in the early space program. I'm mentioning it because you'll probably miss it- you have to leave the main part of the museum, take a right turn and go past the baseball field. Big green satellite dish on the left.

Edited by BNE Jeff
  • Like 4

I had an awesome time at VCF East yesterday. Thanks to all the exhibitors who knocked it out of the park. This was very likely the largest Atari display at any VCF. I will post some photos here.

IMG_7341.jpg

IMG_7336.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg

• Like 8

I had a great time there today.. The displays were wonderful; its about time there were more Atari computers on display than most of the others. This is the most XE's I've seen working at one time. :D The ST lineage also had a good showing with many systems I had yet to see in person. I must say that the 1090 expansion box is a whole lot bigger in person than in pictures! Joe's keynote was entertaining and humorous to boot.

Curt as usual was very social and answered some of the 1200 history questions that had been bothering me for some time. We also discussed the different yellow letterings on the 400/800 peripheral line. ;)

Everyone was very welcoming.

I even picked up a sad lonely 1050 that was marked as not working. Its okay little guy, I'll fix yah up.

• Like 13

I had a really great time at the VCF today. Joe's speech was fantastic and informative; I had a couple of "a ha!" moments during it where I mentally connected the dots on some long standing questions that I have had. It was great to see Curt again and to meet Nir in person. I got to talk a little to Jamie Lendino a little bit about his books and got to meet a few other AA people as well. All in all, it was a really good day and well worth the 2 hour drive.

• Like 7

+1 for VCF East 2019 - this was an amazing day! I enjoyed the classes on Friday, but came back Sunday and really loved both the Joe Decuir keynote (lots of great details on the technical genesis of the Atari 8bit computer line), and also the amazing amounts of Ataris on display. Joe gave a shout out to Jamie Lendino which was great (awesome book), and also talked about wanting to create a book the technical genesis of the Atari 400/800 (sandwiched by existing VCS/Amiga books).

Joe seems like a true and humble gentlemen - great guy!

Summary: Terrible weather, 2 hour drive for wife and I, but WELL WORTH IT - we had a great time!!

"John and Jen"

Edited by Xebec
  • Like 7

I had a great time there today.. The displays were wonderful; its about time there were more Atari computers on display than most of the others. This is the most XE's I've seen working at one time. :D The ST lineage also had a good showing with many systems I had yet to see in person. I must say that the 1090 expansion box is a whole lot bigger in person than in pictures! Joe's keynote was entertaining and humorous to boot.

Curt as usual was very social and answered some of the 1200 history questions that had been bothering me for some time. We also discussed the different yellow letterings on the 400/800 peripheral line. ;)

Everyone was very welcoming.

I even picked up a sad lonely 1050 that was marked as not working. Its okay little guy, I'll fix yah up.

Karl,

I can't tell you how happy I was to see you again after all these years. Very glad we got a chance to catch up and talk each others ears off about Atari for a while. Thank you for coming out.

• Like 2

I had a really great time at the VCF today. Joe's speech was fantastic and informative; I had a couple of "a ha!" moments during it where I mentally connected the dots on some long standing questions that I have had. It was great to see Curt again and to meet Nir in person. I got to talk a little to Jamie Lendino a little bit about his books and got to meet a few other AA people as well. All in all, it was a really good day and well worth the 2 hour drive.

It was great seeing you too. My first time meet Nir in person as well as many others from Atari age... that is THE best part about these shows, getting to meet up with everyone in person.

• Like 3

Missed a Pinball event this weekend too.

:(

I wasn't able to make it to PinFest this weekend either because I went to VCFE instead. Too bad that the dates overlapped like they did. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to get back to PinFest next year, it is always a fantastic time there.

Kurt Vendel ,nice to meet you even though it was quick, you looked very busy. I absolutely loved the eight bit tribute you set up there.

Random guy that I played Miner 2049 with ,sorry I didn’t catch your name , but that was fun. Great memories of my 800XL days.
Fletch , nice to meet you and thanks for all the Falcon advice. Was all that hardware yours?
Damn impressive!
PM incoming soon.
Unfortunately I didn’t get to say hi to Amiga Bill.
He had a really nice set up with a video camera I believe. Get your picture taken with him and Jay Miner on a cardboard cutout.
I wish I could have stayed longer (I know i missed lots of AA people )at the show but I had to meet up with friends
before heading back to Massachusetts.
I picked up a couple things at the consignment store. I didn’t realize it was in three rooms I only hit two.
But I got a nice old magazine in a book that looks recently published.I never heard of it before. I look forward to reading it the summer.
Thanks to everyone that put on the show I thoroughly enjoyed it!
post-4314-0-50710500-1557155709_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I showed off both IRATA and my Ben Heck XEGS laptop #2 (which has seen better days, but it works!)

Thanks to all who came! I loved seeing all of you. It was nice to meet Curt after...what? TWO DECADES and some change?

I also got to meet and thank Claus Buchholz for the DT80 cartridge my father and I bought from him all those years ago (1984).

Also great seeing Josh Malone, hopefully he gets his car situation sorted. :)

Fantastic meeting Nir Dary, finally. Such a gentle genuine giant. :)

Even Kevin Savetz made it over, which was amazing!

I was able to meet up with Joe Decuir and finally show him what I'd been working on for the last two years. :)

Thanks to Bill and Lucy Lange for putting me up in his place, as well as making it possible for Joe Decuir to show up, in the first place!

Dean Notarnicola and his son Drew for some great conversation and help on borrowing some needed hardware for PLATOTERM development.

Pete Fletcher for an incredible ST booth. (Hopefully we'll get the ST version working even better for an IRATA demo next year!)

Steven Hugg of 8bitworkshop stopped by, and we had a wonderful chat, and a sign-up! :)

I made Robert Jaeger grin like a cheshire cat, when he saw Pinhead running on my Ben Heck 8-bit laptop :)

Ironically, everybody wanted to see the Ben Heck laptop more than IRATA. I never know what will attract attention, it seems :)

4r9NjqE.jpg

The Ben Heck XE Laptop #2 running MULE

P7M0QFr.jpg

Savetz playing some Planetfall

qBWE62x.jpg

The IRATA.ONLINE exhibit running.

2I5fYyt.jpg

Savetz and Nir hacking on David's Midnight Magic to fix the joystick. :)

-Thom

• Like 12

Good times had at VCFE. Lots of nice exhibits, at both the show and the museum. Thanks to Curt for sharing his impressive display with me and old #26. Nice to meet Maciej, Thom, Allan, Joe, Kevin, Forrest, Bill, and many others. Can't think of a better way to spend a rainy weekend.

• Like 6

Ironically, everybody wanted to see the Ben Heck laptop more than IRATA. I never know what will attract attention, it seems :)

I actually didn't pay much attention to the laptop at all but really appreciated the demo/explanation of IRATA that you gave me. :)

• Like 1

Kevin Savetz was there? Darn, I could have got my copy of Terrible Nerd autographed! :)

That's the same fellow, correct?

Edited by Zeptari1