IGNORED

Atari Computer Exhibit at Vintage Computer Festival East

Albert

Dad and I went back on Sunday to finish up but ended up spending another entire day there because there is so much stuff. One high point was when we finally found the VCF's permanent exhibit, Evan was there giving Joe Decuir a guided tour so we tagged along.post-44582-0-52288300-1557186369_thumb.jpg

My favorite item in there was a 1 bit computer:post-44582-0-56824000-1557186120_thumb.jpg

There's 8 bit stuff in there too. A really great display:post-44582-0-68852800-1557186700_thumb.jpgpost-44582-0-04787600-1557187036_thumb.jpg

The military vehicle exhibit was hugepost-44582-0-31912000-1557187184_thumb.jpg

Atari Unix machine- TT-030 for only $3,000 when it came out.post-44582-0-09408400-1557187521_thumb.jpg

Here's a general shot of the Atari exhibit:post-44582-0-96031400-1557187806_thumb.jpg

Inside the Dianna site:post-44582-0-11664100-1557188033_thumb.jpg

They were just giving stuff away at the end so I was able to score some Commodore 64 disks which I've been enjoying exploring over the past couple of days.

• Like 5

"Thanks to Bill and Lucy Lange for putting me up in his place, as well as making it possible for Joe Decuir to show up, in the first place!"

Lucy and I enjoyed having Nir, Thomas, Allan, Kevin, and Randy stay over one or more nights. Even Maciej and Michael Sternberg came over for a few hours. Someone joked that if a meteor hit our house, it would have taken out half the world's Atari 8-bit enthusiasts!
As for making Joe's Keynote possible, it was a team effort really. Peter Fletcher and I funded it, but Curt had the contacts, and Evan approved it and made the arraignments. I'm glad that it all worked out.
It was such an amazing weekend. For me, it was the best VCF East yet. We are not likely to see that kind of Atari exhibit again.
  • Like 9

We are not likely to see that kind of Atari exhibit again.

I guess I meant at VCF East. It is not an Atari specific event. In my five years attending and displaying, we've never had more than 3 to 4 exhibits with Atari computes (sometimes less). To take up half of the big room with about 15 tables of Atari exhibits was amazing.

• Like 7

I attended on Sunday and was very impressed by all the people I met and all of the hardware on display. It was great meeting Bill, Curt, DanBoris, Thom, ClausB and others. Curt's collection of Atari's prototypes that was on display was amazing. There were prototypes like the STPad, large version of the TT030 computer and the 1090 Expansion box that I had never heard about before. I thanked Curt for the Atari USB joysticks he sold a few years back - did not know Curt built 16000 joysticks by himself! My 4 joysticks are still working.

Joe Decuir's keynote was very interesting. I never knew Atari briefly sold computers with defective 16K memory boards as 8K machines! I'm looking forward to seeing Joe's keynote video and the additional interview he did at Curt's display.

• Like 2

I've just finished my 16000 km trip few hours ago, now safely back home, not bothered by the TSA agents at all, however it took some time to put all the hardware on the trays for screening.

Great three days, it was great meeting you guys in person. I'm not saying I'll be able to come frequently, but will try to.

As for the size of 1090, funny thing, I've imagined 1090 to be a little bigger than it was in reality. ;)

Voy had just uploaded my set of pictures to pigwa, here is the link:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/parties/media/Vintage_Computer_Festival_East,2019.05.3-5,Wall_Township,NJ,USA/by_Krap/?fbclid=IwAR0ACP0UGW9LoiBzwaJ_aF2l8HKcHgcqE5Jw1arvPIaEUqrPp4hyRcJRV2s

Edited by krap
  • Like 9

Couple of interviews were done over at the Atari Museum exhibit that I'm looking forward to seeing posted. I felt bad Saturday night, Evan needed to get things closed up and the interviewers told me it was only going to be a few minutes and it went for nearly 30 and I saw Evan behind them trying to give me a signal to get them to wrap up so I kind rushed in some last words and cut right to the end so they could finish and we could get out of the exhibit hall and let Evan close things up. Real sorry Evan :-(

• Like 2

I've just finished my 16000 trip few hours ago, now safely back home, not bothered by the TSA agents at all, however it took some time to put all the hardware on the trays for screening.

Great three days, it was great meeting you guys in person. I'm not saying I'll be able to come frequently, but will try to.

As for the size of 1090, funny thing, I've imagined 1090 to be a little bigger than it was in reality. ;)

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/parties/media/Vintage_Computer_Festival_East,2019.05.3-5,Wall_Township,NJ,USA/by_Krap/?fbclid=IwAR0ACP0UGW9LoiBzwaJ_aF2l8HKcHgcqE5Jw1arvPIaEUqrPp4hyRcJRV2s

TSA seemed to really screw up a lot of people's travel and even took some things that people brought to do exhibits and work. Best thing is to find a local contact and UPS stuff to them for the show and UPS the stuff back for safety.

I've just finished my 16000 trip few hours ago, now safely back home, not bothered by the TSA agents at all, however it took some time to put all the hardware on the trays for screening.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! You took a LOT of pictures :-)

• Like 1

TSA seemed to really screw up a lot of people's travel and even took some things that people brought to do exhibits and work. Best thing is to find a local contact and UPS stuff to them for the show and UPS the stuff back for safety.

Hopefully they will have their items returned to them, or some well crafted letters from the museum and AA will help get the items re united with their owners!

I've just finished my 16000 km trip few hours ago, now safely back home, not bothered by the TSA agents at all, however it took some time to put all the hardware on the trays for screening.

Fantastic pics! Thanks for sharing! Is there any chance someone could add captions or annotations?

Hello krap

I've just finished my 16000 km trip few hours ago, now safely back home...

I don't know where you live, but the Fujiama can't be that far from your home. It usually lasts about 84 hours, but will last a whole week this year. Find out more about the Fujiama 2019 (and other meetings) on my meetings page.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS the door opens at midnight on the first day of the meeting and isn't really closed until the end of the meeting. That's more than 16 hours of Atari fun per day!

I guess I meant at VCF East. It is not an Atari specific event. In my five years attending and displaying, we've never had more than 3 to 4 exhibits with Atari computes (sometimes less). To take up half of the big room with about 15 tables of Atari exhibits was amazing.

You guys all did an amazing job! This was my first VCF and I am sure no others will compare.

Wow, that picture of the old teletype really brought back memories. My earliest programming experiences were on one exactly like that! Ah the joys of paper tape storage :)

• Like 1

Wow, that picture of the old teletype really brought back memories. My earliest programming experiences were on one exactly like that! Ah the joys of paper tape storage :)

That teletype was so fascinating! I was transfixed by it.

• Like 1

Ok, maybe it was a little bit premature to state that the TSA guys did not bother me.

I’ve just found out during unpacking, that the protective foam I had the FDD drive in is torn and empty. First thought was - they stole the drive. But no, they had just removed it for “inspection”, and then thrown back to the bottom of the bag without any protection whatsoever.

I guess there is no limit on how stupid you can be to work there. Wonder if it still works...

Yeah, trust me, they outright forgot to put half of the things they took out of my bag, including the power supply to my work laptop that I took with me to do much needed work during downtime.

I had to invoke my service contract to get a replacement.

-Thom

Hello scitari

There was no shortage of mashed turtles... what a fun but difficult game!

I really suck at it, but it's a nice game. It's often played at meetings. Especially at the Fujiama, where Fandal and PseudoGrafix, the guys that created the game, are often present.

Sincerely

Mathy

Wow, looks like it was an amazing place to be for an Atari fan. I had initially planned on being there, but some family commitments ended up taking priority and it just wasn't possible. I've been to VCF East in years past, so I know these rooms, and can almost imagine what it would be like to be there and see all this amazing Atari gear in person. Not to mention meeting everyone who attended in person.

Thank you everyone who posted pictures here! Also the videos of the keynote talks are up on the VCF Youtube channel, I need to go check those out now.