IGNORED

Manuals/Booklets

KevKelley

I had won a few lots a while back and they included a lot of manuals, especially for cassettes and discs, which I had none. I was wondering what the best way to unload or sell these would be. I didn't think putting these on eBay would do much good. I have yet to catalog them but didn't know if there were manuals people were looking for.

• Like 1

I just whipped up this list real quick. I used Google Sheets and saved it as a .pdf. There are some duplicates and some variations but I did not differentiate from manuals like the old color bar books versus picture covers or black and white. I did however mark if it was a command module (CM), diskette (D), or cassette ©.

I still have to cross reference what cartridges I possess that may require a booklet but for the most part, most of these will be up for grabs (and all disk and cassette software) since I have none.

TI99_4a Manuals - Sheet1.pdf

• Like 1

There are about half a dozen third-party manuals in there that are not available as good scans yet (from DataBioTics and Navarone). You have a really good assortment of TI manuals--and if you intend to collect more TI cartridges, you might want to keep at least one of each of the manuals you have, as many auction bulk lots don't come with the manuals.

Edited by Ksarul

There are about half a dozen third-party manuals in there that are not available as good scans yet (from DataBioTics and Navarone). You have a really good assortment of TI manuals--and if you intend to collect more TI cartridges, you might want to keep at least one of each of the manuals you have, as many auction bulk lots don't come with the manuals.

When I won an auction, the seller never mentioned some of these and when I opened up my package I got excited seeing some of those third party manuals but I wound up not having those cartridges in the lots which kind of sucked. Looking through some of the manuals I realize I would probably have to save a few being as some things are not that intuitive. I have about 120 cartridges so far and finding any not in my collection has gotten much harder.

Is there a place where scans of manuals are in demand? I might be able to scan a few of the harder to find books for everyone, and being as they are only a couple pages that should be an easier endeavor. I am impressed at the size of some of the other manuals, as they are like small books.

• Like 1

Hi Omega- Just checked out the Chess manual at:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275379-ti-video-chess-documentation/?do=findComment&comment=3958578

and it looks pin point sharp here and very clean.

The covers really were printed as badly as Fritz scan (ahem- copied from PC99/The Cyc....). I tend to smooth the colours on the covers I scan, I don't think any of them match today's printing standards. Even the black print on the later US manuals got somewhat (eg very) fuzzy and the colour covers sometimes looked out of focus.

I do have the 99/4 88 page 2 language manual as well as the 36 page 99/4A 5 language manual for VideoChess.

I think the Cyc manuals were reformatted (copyright commercial product!) rather than scanned so perhaps it is a genuine scan you want? I hadn't intended to do this one but as the copy we have on the forum is (ahem) not a genuine scan I'll bump up my scanning for this in the interests of archiving. The later 99/4a version would probably be more useful.

Stephen

• Like 2

If you already have 120 different cartridges, you are well on your way to a great collection! :) Welcome to the club! There are a few of us here with truly crazy-sized collections (yes, I resemble that remark). You are right that the remainder is a bit more difficult to find, though. I've been collecting things for this system since 1980--and I am still missing a few! Then there are the truly interesting variants, like the Scott Foresman educational cartridges with color cases that came in 8 1/2 by 11 library boxes. The boxes are harder to find than the cartridges are--I have five boxes out of the 24, and I don't know of anyone else with more than one or two in their collections. The manuals for these are a bit easier, as I have over a dozen of them (and over a dozen of the color cartridges).

On scanning, there is a thread here where we have been depositing good scans. Blackbox (in the post above) has been doing a great job of identifying and filling holes, but every additional bit helps. I do most of my preservation work on schematics and keyboard strips (those items are in other threads here as well). Look around and have a lot of fun with your hobby--we do! :)

• Like 1

Cool! I recently picked up a couple TI99/4as to show my son since it was my first family computer. I had been slowly picking up lots and sorting through cartridges. I never had discs or cassettes growing up and don't really have much interest in them or boxes or books. Just carts. I will gladly add some scans to the community.

• Like 2