xrbrevin

DRAMARDUINO - Dram tester with Arduino

I just made this arduino-based DRAM tester and it works great so i thought i'd post a topic on it in case other people have a use for it:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?t=1699

i had to change the LED resistor values as my LEDs were not bright enough but other than that it works fine and is very convenient!

• Like 5

I just made this arduino-based DRAM tester and it works great so i thought i'd post a topic on it in case other people have a use for it:

i had to change the LED resistor values as my LEDs were not bright enough but other than that it works fine and is very convenient!

Great minds think alike, I also found this project and built one of them a couple of months ago :) This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I intended to add an additional +- power supply to also enable testing 4116 RAM with -5 @ pin 1 and +12 @ pin 8 but I had a short somewhere after building the power supply kit and need to look into it. I did the usual careful visual inspection of my soldering work before powering it on the and all looked good, the XL6008E1 DC/DC Converter was very hot to the touch and none of the output voltages were correct with the exception of the +5v which was showing 4.97.

post-4724-0-78241500-1553153778.jpg

Edited by Tezz

crikey, something sounds amiss - hope you get it sorted :)

the tester showed me that all 8 MT chips are dead (v.likely) but also that 5 of my siemens ones were too!

At least 11 are good so ive enough to mod my 65xe board

now where did i put that GAL chip... :)

post-38211-0-55644400-1553189061_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The fun with DRAM is that you have to read your values back from any location within the refresh window, or your read value will degrade. Have you checked that your program manages to make the refresh window? Ideally, you'd want to hit the refresh window on the dot for the chip's guaranteed refresh time. This could require that you test the RAM in sections in case you can't get back to the first location in time.

Also, do you check the DRAM refresh cycle too? It doesn't look like it from the source.

One more item of note: Even though the AVR Dudes will scream and holler about portability if you don't use the official calls, individually programming port bits is extremely slow. You could improve performance a lot by using the PORTx, DDRx, and PINx variables directly.

• Like 2

This sounds interesting however not having any luck with the link. Any chance this can be updated?

This sounds interesting however not having any luck with the link. Any chance this can be updated?

i dont know why its not working but i still have the page open so here it is:

Testing is not too fast but acceptable - 4 different passes are performed in about 80 seconds total.

Results are 100% reliable only if the test FAILS - you can throw away the chip without fear.

If the test passes, this doesn't certainly mean that it will work in Oric, because as you know Oric's are very 'sensitive' to DRAM.

Actually this was my goal exactly - to sort out the working chips from about 200 before I'm get bored icon_smile.gif.

Working with the tool is easy: place the chip in the ZIF socket, press small reset button, wait until GREEN LED blinks,

if it remains permanently on - chip is OK, if the chip is bad - RED LED lights.

If USB is connected, status is reported in your serial console. This helped me to detect some 'lazy' chips - they failed in

different, on every next test, growing addresses but when they become 'hot' test passes always.

IIRC such fail to boot Oric was reported somewhere in this forum...

post-38211-0-74636000-1553329631.png

post-38211-0-06534400-1553329636_thumb.jpg

dramarduino.ino.zip

Edited by xrbrevin
  • Like 3

just thought i would update this topic.

i tried the chips that failed the DRAM Arduino test in a real 130XE with SYS-Check II, xram and shortest.

3x of the MT chips appeared to work fully but when i ran a 128k game it failed.

All of the Siemens 41256 chips passed the test and the 130XE works just fine.

So the DRAM Arduino certainly isnt the final word in DRAM testing - the Atari is!

The designer did design this device for an Oric computer so maybe that is a factor? i dont know

At least it wasnt expensive!!

14 hours ago, Mike Harris said:

Will this work with 4164's?

yes - the jumper selects between 4164 and 41256

10 hours ago, candle said:

how about 4464 and 44256?

i dont believe so, there was no mention of it in the original source guide

maybe the code can be tweaked by someone who is fluent?

I did everything according to the schematics and uploaded the INO to my MEGA 2560.
I get nothing but 1 quick flash and then red with a failure 64k $1 in my serial shell.
ALL of my 4164's act this way.

I have no 100% positive 4164 chips to check to see if it is the tester or I was taken for a ride by a Chinese distributor that gets 100% ratings on EBAY.

Edited by Mike Harris