IGNORED

Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr.?

26 members have voted

1. 1. Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr.?

• Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong Jr.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is where a video service would be nice to have available on the web somewhere. You know - a means to see and hear the game to see which one seems to be the better game.

Oh well. Good luck OP.

I already know what both games look like. I just want to know what game do you think plays better.

Unfortunately, I can't edit the OP but forget about the fact that I want to buy one of them. I'm just interested in AtariAge community's opinion on both classics.

Edited by roots.genoa

DK Jr drives me to drink; therefore, DK Jr is better.

The summer camp where I used to go as a kid and eventually worked at as a teen had DK III in their game room (along with Asteroids, Time Pilot '89, Mario Bros, Bump N Jump, and a couple other gems). Loved DK III, but I don't feel like it's a true successor in the franchise. Am I crazy for thinking that?

• Like 1

I enjoy Donkey Kong but I'm not very good at either game. I prefer the NES port of Donkey Kong Jr. I think that it has a better difficulty curve than the original arcade so it's more playable for me. Same probably goes for the NES port of Donkey Kong even though it's missing a stage.

Donkey Kong 3 is awful.

• Like 1

Jr. is a cute and fun DK spinoff, but I prefer the original.

And while I like the game for what it is, #3 is what happened when somebody wanted to re-skin a goofy shooting game and slapped *some* familiar graphics on it; namely Donkey Kong. And then there's Stanley, the bugman. Really, I'd have preferred them NOT even calling this a Donkey Kong game. Stanley's Garden would have been just fine. :lol:

post-13896-0-60507500-1553199847.png

• Like 2

DK Jr drives me to drink; therefore, DK Jr is better.

The summer camp where I used to go as a kid and eventually worked at as a teen had DK III in their game room (along with Asteroids, Time Pilot '89, Mario Bros, Bump N Jump, and a couple other gems). Loved DK III, but I don't feel like it's a true successor in the franchise. Am I crazy for thinking that?

No, not at all, and I suspect that's why it's not well liked.

• Like 1

The funny thing is, for me DK3 was the DK game I originally owned on the NES as it looked fun and I got really good at it, only a few years later I ended up with the DK Classics cart. Since DK3 isn't a choice it's a toughie. I think DK is a great game, but I kind of more prefer the change of the stages you have in DKJr more at least for repeat play staying power. I think the little dude just moves a bit better than Mario/Jumpman does and I love the vindictive/defensive use of the fruit, yet the old one had that charm to it with the stages and how you can interact using the hammer in some.

I think my care about DK3 is probably as much related to how it's kind of like a nastier galaga style a bit while getting some sweet gassy toxic revenge on that big ape.

• Like 1

Not going to choose between two old favorites when it's trivially easy to have both.

Of course it is. Once again, I was just wondering what was the opinion of AtariAge's community. I mean, there are a lot of debates online about which Mega Man, Mario, Castlevania (or even Donkey Kong Country) is the best of the series, and I just realized I've seen never seen such a debate about Donkey Kong Games.

I feel the two games play differently enough that deciding between the two is just a matter of personal taste. However- becuase you specifically said you want to try it on the flip grip, I went with Donkey Kong Jr. The vertical setup benefits that game more.

Although quite frankly, wouldn't something like Galaga be more appropriate for such a test?

If you look at all the games that Nintendo has slapped the Donkey Kong or Mario name on over the years, many are much further from the original premise than DK3. So I think it belongs in the franchise.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of DK3's gameplay. Neither the shooting or platforming is handled particularly well and it gets repetitive fast and kills your thumb. But it may have been better received had they used Mario as the main character rather than Stanley.

Yes.

Too many threads on AtariAge where OP can't decide what to buy yet there are plenty of resources already out there to aid in the decision.

Unbelievable.

I just told you I'm just doing some kind of survey. I didn't ask the question to help me decide anything; I even started the OP writing 'I may end up buying both'. :(

If you don't know which game you prefer, just don't post instead of insulting me.

• Like 1

I feel the two games play differently enough that deciding between the two is just a matter of personal taste. However- becuase you specifically said you want to try it on the flip grip, I went with Donkey Kong Jr. The vertical setup benefits that game more.

Although quite frankly, wouldn't something like Galaga be more appropriate for such a test?

I already tested it on several SNK 40th Anniversary Collection games and I intend on testing it with as many games as possible. Donkey Kong games are both Arcade Archives games, and among the very few compatible with the Flip Grip.