IGNORED

Looking for a monitor, feedback wanted.

jrhodes

I came across this monitor on ebay.

It has hdmi, vga, and composite video in connections (the composite is over one of those headphone style ports with a adapter, see pic below)

post-64087-0-64595300-1553221215.jpg

Think this would handle the TI's video OK?

I was also thinking of using it as a Pi monitor too.

Anything else around the same price range i may want to consider instead/also?

• Like 1

LCDs of this nature usually have the worst 15KHz broadcast video scalers out there. Might or might not display the video (since it'll have the usual issues with attempting to deinterlace the signal). Really, for 15KHz uninterlaced Composite upscaling at an affordable price, the RetroTINK 2X is king, these days. And the Micomsoft Framemeister remains king for folks with deep pockets. While the OSSC is ideal for anyone with an F18A modded console (Framemeister works too, but 31KHz signals aren't really its strong suit).

The upscalers in Samsung, Sony and Panasonic HDTVs in most cases also handle "240p" video just fine. But that shouldn't be surprising. These were made based on the assumption that consumers would be plugging in their legacy devices, and an upscaler which actually gets the job done and done well is a basic and essential feature. There are still models which will literally display nothing at all, or experience severe issues. But they're in the minority.

But who knows. It might just work. Well, sort of.

I did a fast search for that monitor and was seeing $100+ prices...

Anyway, i'll probably get the monitor i mentioned earlier in this thread, that mini-monitor that Home Automation has, or cheap $10 composite to vga dongle to use on my old vga computer flatscreen monitor. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-RCA-S-Video-to-VGA-SVGA-Composite-HD-AV-TV-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-PC/121395744435?epid=1639411407&hash=item1c43c00eb3:g:hXgAAOSwMVFXIFIe)

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 1

Think this would handle the TI's video OK?

I was also thinking of using it as a Pi monitor too.

Anything

I have one of these which works beautifully with a VGA modded F18A system.

On the downside it looks absolutely horrible with regular TI composite hooked up. Think blocky snow and really bad shadowy text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

i guess i'm an outlier, lol. before i gave the tv to my daughter, i just used a TI composite cable and an el cheapo $99 walmart tv and was tickled pink at the picture.

The composite cable image looks good on a CRT. I’d agree with that. Especially compared to RF.

I’m just ruined by that F18A image with an LCD. It’s perfect...really just perfect.

I’ll post a few shots here of my 10” LCD hooked to the TI F18A vs the composite look. It’s dramatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

A few years back I scored an off-brand "Coby" TV set, that I use at Fest Wests, but mostly for testing purposes and occasional streaming with a Chromecast.

It has nearly everything onboard, HDMI, VGA, Composite, S-Video, RF and even a separate PC audio in when using the VGA plug (like with an F18A).

<< Specifications >>

Here's a view of all the on-board connectors

gallery_35324_1027_7274.jpg

Here's a view of it at the last Fest West

gallery_35324_1027_90167.jpg

The sound is actually pretty good. If you ever come across one on the used market, I'd suggest snatching it up if it's in good shape with a decent price.

• Like 3