IGNORED

What's the next best A2 emu ?

Keatah

With Applewin not having .woz or .a2r support, what's the next best a2 emu for the PC?

I suspect it might be OpenEmu, or MicroM8. I would've said MAME, but it has a lousy interface and is too cryptic for the average user. Not to mention those assinine "software lists".

What are you guys using?

With Applewin not having .woz or .a2r support, what's the next best a2 emu for the PC?

I suspect it might be OpenEmu, or MicroM8. I would've said MAME, but it has a lousy interface and is too cryptic for the average user. Not to mention those assinine "software lists".

What are you guys using?

FYI - mednafen recently added Apple II support. I found that the current release still has serious issues, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Apart from that, I haven't found an apple2 emulator that I loved

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, Keatah said:

What are you guys using?

I would actually say MAME. I'll grant you the cryptic interface, but I can fire up any arbitrary floppy like so:

mame64 apple2ee -flop1 <path_to.woz> 

I did this a lot when I was creating woz files from my originals last year. I honestly don't know how the software lists figure into it - I never bumped into issues with them.

Anyway, with regards to emulation accuracy, I tested my woz dumps in Virtual ][, OpenEmulator and MAME, and compared all to my real //e as I did each dump. MAME was consistently the most accurate.

• Like 1

I hope more emulators get better debuggers.  MicroM8 is the only one I've found so far (that runs on Linux/Windows) which has a decent debugger.

I find the A2-like debugger in AppleWin to be only useful for quick checks, and a lot of its functionality is still unfinished, like saving/restoring breakpoints.

For me, MicroM8 doesn't do sound very well (it has a lot of choppy cut-outs) and I've had to fall back to AppleWin for testing sound routines.

Haven't tried MAME yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MAME has a very powerful debugger, and you can write Lua scripts for it to control the emulated machine (a bot that auto-plays Karateka, for instance).  You can ignore the software lists if you don't understand them and just run arbitrary disk images, like hoserama99 says.  Or you can grab a software list torrent and have everything 4AM's ever released at your fingertips.  Plus the only Rev. C SCSI Card emulation in existence, and it can even boot an .ISO of the Golden Orchard CD-ROM.

And the next version will have ComputerEyes, JoyPort, and 4Play support plus fixes for 3200 color programs on the IIgs, and a complete set of hooks to embed MAME inside an external frontend, so the MAME interface goes completely away and you get (with the example we're shipping) something that looks a lot like VICE.

800K .WOZ and SuperDrive support are coming later this year.

Edited by Arbee