IGNORED

so you guys had this and still didn't manage to play the game?

high voltage

I'm sure I've said this before on these forums, but at the time of its release, I really enjoyed E.T., and didn't learn that it was supposed to be a bad game until much, much later. Even as a kid, I loved most of the Atari "Adventure Territory" games (Superman, Haunted House, Adventure, Raiders), and E.T. was no exception*. I read the manual, which explains exactly how to get out of the wells, so I never had the problems with them that everyone else seems to have.

* The exceptions were the Swordquest games. I think they're all worse than E.T., and Fireworld is the worst of them all.

Same. My friends and I loved Raiders most of all. We solved it together summer 83 probably. I wanted more games like that, when I heard about Swordquest, I was excited. But then I played them :( Yeah, anybody who claims ET is the worst game of all time should be forced to play Fireworld.

I never heard of Teen Titans or Cyborg. I also didn't know that the X-Men existed until the movies came out. I knew about the main ones like Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Not even the Teen Titans anti-drug PSA from 1984? With Cyborg winking at us complete with gleam? Oh god, if someone on here actually remembers that...

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2019 at 8:29 PM, Syzygy1 said:

Not even the Teen Titans anti-drug PSA from 1984? With Cyborg winking at us complete with gleam? Oh god, if someone on here actually remembers that...

Holy shoot, I actually remember that! Nobody has a copy with the audio.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:27 PM, Syzygy1 said:

Wasn't The New Teen Titans the most popular comic book of the 80s? Why did we just get Superman and not Cyborg?

It was one of the most popular for sure, but that doesn't mean it was well known outside of comic book nerds. The 80's weren't like now where even third-stringers like Ant-Man get big budget movies and are recognized by soccer moms. Back then the only super heroes 99% of the population had heard of were Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and the Hulk. The suits running the video game companies weren't going to green light a game for a super hero team most people had never heard of, much less a standalone game for the 4th or 5th most well-known member of that team.

• Like 1

Wasn't aware teen titans existed in the 80's. I liked it though and would have loved a 2600 variation bitd (Or even now)

As for et, eh, a lot of assumption goes into "if you didn't like it, you didn't read the manual" which I guess for some, it's true, but that's out and out false for others (like me) it wasn't a good game, even among adventure types, because it wasn't a good game. The idea was simple enough, it just wasn't to fun. It's the ONLY adventure game I ever "beat" within thirty minutes of getting it, most took me days, weeks, or even months, not necessarily related to age either, I think rotla took me the longest to beat, despite being the final adventure game I got.

The only thing et added, that I'm aware, was the mobile chest (elliot) so the ghosts didn't jack your stuff. Outside of that, the world is WAY to small (but cool that its, er, "spherical" outside of that, it did manage to semi follow the movie, and was largely self explanatory , unlike most adventure games (rotla)

They could literally done a Pac man hack, and it wouldn't have gotten nearly the out and out hate it did, yes, even bitd.

As for swordquest, I wasn't aware they were even considered games. I'll totally give you that et is solid gold compared to any of those, which were so bad, I only ever "finished" one of them, and even Atari didn't complete the series, now that's a bad game. Their also the reason that, while I don't consider et good, by any standard, I also don't considered it any near a "worst" list either.

I'd totally read that book if I found one, but then I'm weird.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, Swami said:

Theres also a hack around here that fixed the brokenness

If the game was playable (with the manual) as so many keep saying, then it wouldn't have needed a hack to fix the broken bits.

Since a hack was necessary to fix the broken bits to make the game playable (with the manual) then I argue the game wasn't playable (even with the manual.)

42 minutes ago, azure said:

If the game was playable (with the manual) as so many keep saying, then it wouldn't have needed a hack to fix the broken bits.

Since a hack was necessary to fix the broken bits to make the game playable (with the manual) then I argue the game wasn't playable (even with the manual.)

The hack wasn't necessary, it just made the game easier for people who are bad at playing games that are more complicated than Tetris or Bejeweled. Related links:

To What Degree Do You Love E.T.?

E.T. Manual and Tips Sheet

E.T. Map

E.T. Tips and Reminders

E.T. Appreciation Page

E.T. Cake

• Like 1

9 hours ago, azure said:

I completed the game many times without the hack.

The hack only make the pits less sensitive,  so people who got frustrated by constantly falling down pits might find the game easier to play with the hack.

Nothing about the game is out and out broken (to my knowledge) I thing the "broken" idea came from the characters being side view, but the holes suck you in if the top of your head touches one, which is nonsensical. I think there was a hack that made hit detection with your feet only. Not that the game is unplayable or anything, just that by this time, the average game was a bit better designed.

Oh, forgot the big image title screen, that was another addition st did for adventure games. Do any others have an actual title screen?

12 hours ago, Video said:

Oh, forgot the big image title screen, that was another addition st did for adventure games. Do any others have an actual title screen?

Swordquest Earthworld has a title screen.

Of course, calling the Swordquest titles "games" is being generous.

• Like 2