IGNORED

Atari Clone Electronic Components

KevKelley

I had been reading about the Atari clones and how they worked and I was curious if there were any modern TIA or VLSI clone chips out there? My understanding is that the TIA is the only thing that kind of stands in the way of new hardware systems from being made.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing the last few days. While I don't know of anything out there that can be used as a replacement for the TIA, there still seems to be a fairly large stock of NOS chips available.

I was thinking about a FrankenVCS ... with a 65816 and V5998 graphics chip. Kind of like a souped up 7800 with backward compatibility with the 2600.

Is it a complicated chip to do an FPGA replacement of? Or is it more of a lack of interest from those who have the knowledge and expertise to actually do it? The Coco community is a small group and I believe they either have or are close to a full GIME chip replacement and I think it's a more complicated chip than the TIA

What got me started was seeing how good emulation has gotten over the years and as I surf eBay and come across the various expansions for systems like Coleco or Intellivision. I was curious about the Phoenix because I think it said it was 100% compatible using FPGA, but I was curious as to how that would work. And then of course the Retron 77.

Personally, I would love to see a new 7800 with backwards compatibility but with a little something added on (like the XM), so like a progression of the line. A Super 7800. I just didn't know if the components are to difficult to create or there is no interest, like with the C64 and the various SID chip replacements that have come out over the years.

I was also thinking about repairing old units. I see many cannibalized and wondered if there was a different way to fix dead systems.

What was used in the Flashback 2? I don't believe that it used an FPGA or emulation. I know that the FB2 wasn't 100% compatible - but it did allow for physical cartridges if you added the cartridge slot. Was it just a fairly close recreation? If so, could a similar chip be designed with improved compatibility?

What was used in the Flashback 2? I don't believe that it used an FPGA or emulation. I know that the FB2 wasn't 100% compatible - but it did allow for physical cartridges if you added the cartridge slot. Was it just a fairly close recreation? If so, could a similar chip be designed with improved compatibility?

According to the Wikipedia article about the Flashback units, the FB2 uses a single-chip design of the 2600 designed by Curt Vendel. I knew that Curt was involved with some of the early FB units but it seems that for the FB2, he essentially recreated the TIA. The article is a little vague on detail. Was it an entire 2600 on a single chip, or just the TIA?