IGNORED

Sega Game Gear Power Board Help

Izen

Hello all,

I replaced the capacitors in a Game Gear that wouldn't power on and on the power board it seems that a couple of things have blown, but not the capacitors. Specifically, I think it's either the inductor that blew or what I'm assuming is a diode above it? I cleaned most of the good off, but it was it between the two parts. I'm going to replace the inductor, but I'd also like to replace what's above it. Can anyone confirm that D3 is a diode and what type I should replace it with? Attaching pictures as well. Thanks for your help!

post-64605-0-05742900-1553290714_thumb.jpg

post-64605-0-42201100-1553290725_thumb.jpg

The inductor should be easy to test - it will have a low DC resistance, and if it's directly in the incoming path, it can simply be bypassed temporarily to check if it's the issue, provided the power supply is nice and stable. The diode (yep, it looks like a diode) should also be simple to test, most multimeters have a diode check function which should give a forward voltage drop when the probes are attached one way, and no reading when attached the other way. If it's a zener diode then it might have a further fault beyond that, but to me it simply looks like a rectifier diode to protect the system from a reversed polarity supply.

The last part up there is the small ceramic capacitor. If that's across the power rails, it's most likely not critical to the operation of the system (like the inductor, just used for filtering the power supply), so once it has more or less infinite DC resistance it should be fine.

Are there schematics for this board available? If so, they'll be able to tell you the exact function of these parts, and often their values or part numbers.

• 10 months later...