IGNORED

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 17: Parodius DA! / Aerofighters

Leto27

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018 Round 17: Parodius DA! / Aerofighters

Arcade/MAME HSC 2018

Round 1: Time Pilot '84

Round 2: Toki / Moon Patrol

Round 3: Sunset Riders ( 2 player version)

Round 4: Golden Axe/Hippodrome

Round 5: Gravitar/Xybots

Round 6: Time Tunnel / Super Pac- Man

Round 7: Ghould’n Ghosts / Mystic Riders

Round 8: Into the sea

Round 9: Prehistoric Isle in 1930 / Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Round 10 Tetris Plus / Puyo Puyo

Round 11: X-Men / Captain Commando

Round 12: UN squadron / Galaga 88

Round 13: Bad Dudes vs Dragonninja / Mario Bros

Round 14: Nibbler / Ninja Baseball Bat Man

Round 15: Mr Do / Popeye

Round 16: Jungle Hunt / The Legend of Kage

Round 17: Parodius DA! / Aerofighters

Round 18: Polish your armor 2

Standings after: : Jungle Hunt / The legend of kage

Round 17

Parodius DA!

post-62867-0-39854500-1553433920.png

parodius.zip

Parodius DA! By Konami, 1990

MAME ROMset: parodius
Dip Switches: Default: ( Lives: 3 / Difficulty: Normal / Bonus 20000 80000 )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends April 7th @ midnight MDT

Parodius DA!

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

Round 17

Aerofighters

post-62867-0-29924600-1553434041.png

aerofgt.zip

Aerofighters by Videosystem, 1992

MAME ROMset: aerofgt
Dip Switches: Default (Difficulty: Normal / lives 3 / Bonus 200000 )

Number of credits: 1 credits

Remember to play with the recommended settings, and do not use cheats or any kind of enhancements to take advantage

Round ends April 7th @ midnight MDT

Aerofighters

Scoring will be as follows:

10 Points for 1st

9 for 2nd

8 for 3rd and so forth

Nearly whole season passed and finally some games that I have actually played for a bit :)

Aero Fighters, because its name starts with "A" so it's in the beginning of all the romsets. It's also not-so-hard, at least in the beginning. Though I mostly played home consoles versions, the arcade one is much snappier...and more fun too.

Parodius is just about as perfect as you can get. It's 2D gfx is gorgeous & cute, sfx exhilirating and the bell-driven gamplay super clever and tension-building. For those who haven't played it before, word of advice: don't try to fight Her.

Aero Fighters: 222,700

Parodius DA!: 110,900

Parodius - 155,500

Aero Fighters - 287,700

Today I played AF on my new PC with latest MAME (instead of usual RPi/2003) and I must admit this is the first time I could feel real difference re: lag. It's not big, but in this kinda bullet hell situations it's crucial. The craft handles differently too and I can do some crazy stuff. Kinda wish I had this setup at the beginning of this season :)

Also, was over 300K in AF and pressed Cancel instead of the Bomb button (mapped on my DS4) and found myself thrown back to the game list. This is where Retroarch UI with its hotkeys wins hands down so stuff like this does not happen (unless I'm missing something).

IMG_20190407_134244.jpg

IMG_20190331_161511.jpg

Parodious DA 85,000. Just can't get past the big lady. Was thinking of upgrading to the latest MAME as youxia suggested but I have so many problems with installation as it is. Plus Parodious DA is the only game on which I've ever experienced significant lag and -- quite frankly -- I'll probably never play it again after this competition.

post-47871-0-64939600-1554662851.png

Was thinking of upgrading to the latest MAME as youxia suggested but I have so many problems with installation as it is.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the improvement came from the fact it was the latest version of MAME. Perhaps it was a different shader (I used base HLSL) and lack of VSync?

Installing core MAME should be pretty straightforward - I just unpacked the MAME archive, ran the exe and pointed it to my arcade rom directory. You need a matching romset of course. Then just select "available" and tweak some options if you fancy.

• Like 1

To be honest, I'm not sure if the improvement came from the fact it was the latest version of MAME. Perhaps it was a different shader (I used base HLSL) and lack of VSync?

Installing core MAME should be pretty straightforward - I just unpacked the MAME archive, ran the exe and pointed it to my arcade rom directory. You need a matching romset of course. Then just select "available" and tweak some options if you fancy.

When you refer to "pointing" you're talking about path configuration right? Honestly, it was pretty much a miracle I was able to install MAME the first time.

When you refer to "pointing" you're talking about path configuration right? Honestly, it was pretty much a miracle I was able to install MAME the first time.

Yep, you can either put your roms into MAME's native "rom" directory or go into Configure Options > Configure Directories > ROMS and then choose Add Folder. Just remember that the romset version must match the particular MAME version so for example for mame.exe 0.206 you'll need MAME roms from 0.206 pack. You can try and use different versions and the games may work but also may not so I wouldn't advise doing it.

Apart from that it's really as easy as that to install so not sure what could be wrong with your setup...

• Like 1