IGNORED

ECS power supply unreliable?

Swami

I thought about this looking at the ECS owner thread and thought I would start a new thread.

Are the ECS power supplies pretty unreliable? I rarely see one on EBay with the power supply, which makes me wonder if they may not work with the ones that have them, like a lot of the Colecovision and 2600 power supplies.

I've never had any trouble with mine. I suspect that the original power supplies simply got lost over the years. The original power supply was a 10VAC 1AMP supply (see here), but others have reported using other supplies of similar specifications.

The power supplies themselves dont seem to be available either, but that may just be due to the relative rarity of the ECS compared to other 8-bit systems and accessories.

Or used as replacement for another device. AC/AC power supplies in 9/12V range became a thing in the 80's, I don't know why. Tho I would assume it's related to a country somewhere putting harsher laws on EM pollution, or maybe even several countries doing it, so manufacturers went the cheap way and moved the bridge rectifier from the power supply to the device itself.

So if someone needed an AC supply, the ECS one is perfectly standard power and connector size.

The good news is, you can plug a DC power supply on an AC device (exception applies), so a missing ECS power supply is not a big deal at all.

Edited by CatPix