IGNORED

Hooking up 2600 to old tv via switch box?

OldSlabSides

Hey Fellas, just bought an old tv and I am trying to hook up my Atari 2600 to it via a switch box but I’m only getting another type of static. When not connected the tv works fine and produces sound but I’m not able to get the Atari to show up on the tv. What I know: The 2600 works, and the switch box works. I’ve attached photos to see if I’ve done anything wrong.

Setup:

iKXA6nh.jpg

Tv model number:

oVVk5Mx.jpg

Tv with Atari off:

W1Cb4Zh.jpg

Tv with Atari on:

48Ks2ha.jpg

Check the Channel Switch on the unit. It might have been set to channel 2, vs. 3. Depending on your unit, the Channel select switch may be on the rear or on the bottom of the unit.

Yes the channel is set to 3 as the tv is, just odd that I’m getting no picture. Hopefully it’s not something more serious...

Sorry I can't be of more help. BTW, love your Galaga cocktail table. :thumbsup:

Oh that’s fine I’m happy for any input! And thanks for the compliment I love being able to play Galaga at home!

Some of the tvs like that have "fine tuning" knobs - the knurled inside the knob.

Does any thing else work on ch. 3?

Sorry what sort of fine tuning knob do you mean? And I cannot pick up any channel or anything on channel 3 if that’s what you are talking about.

Edited by Johnrh

Oh that’s fine I’m happy for any input! And that’s for the compliment I love being able to play Galaga at home!

Sorry what sort of fine tuning knob do you mean? And I cannot pick up any channel or anything on channel 3 if that’s what you are talking about.

The knurled ring just under the turn lever is a fine adjustment knob that can be rotated as well. You have one on both the VHF and UHF knobs there.

And if channel 3 fails, you can also try Channel 2 unless you still have a station broadcasing on that channel that you are able to pick up?

On the switchbox itself, make sure you push it all the way to Game/Computer. I've had some that would almost click into this position and not register until it was absolutely at the maximum.

Out of curiosity, how do you know for sure the 2600 and the switchbox are good? They work on another TV I'm guessing?

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

The knurled ring just under the turn lever is a fine adjustment knob that can be rotated as well. You have one on both the VHF and UHF knobs there.

And if channel 3 fails, you can also try Channel 2 unless you still have a station broadcasing on that channel that you are able to pick up?

Oh damn your right! I was wondering why the inner rings free spun even when not changing channels, I’ll try adjusting those while it’s on later tonight.

On the switchbox itself, make sure you push it all the way to Game/Computer. I've had some that would almost click into this position and not register until it was absolutely at the maximum.

Out of curiosity, how do you know for sure the 2600 and the switchbox are good? They work on another TV I'm guessing?

And yes they where both tested on another tv before hand. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a bit better picture get rid of the switch box and get a simple RF cylinder with the 2 screw tabs and screw a RF-F adapter onto the end and then your atari plug will run straight to that giving the best picture possible. Those switch boxes suck I stopped using them years ago after finding out about the simpler hookup method. Plus it makes hooking other systems up a breeze just switching out the one plug.

• Like 1

Yes the channel is set to 3 as the tv is, just odd that I’m getting no picture. Hopefully it’s not something more serious...

Under the wire leads for the switch box, you have a single wire under those 2 in plce on the screw, take that one off leaving the 2 wires of the box attached, that might be creating the problem