IGNORED

Is there a way to convert TI files to a format that can be saved 2 cassette

xabin

Hmm. I was looking mainly at Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man's raw wav files. It looks like the former was plug-and-play like other TI cartridges, but I can't find any info on what the latter takes to play it. I played a little of both of them on emulator, and I'm actually impressed by how much better they are, compared to the Pac-Man game I had on the 2600.

i answered this already.. if you don't have a cartridge for it, you need 32k..

I see. So if we can't get anything more than that, C60 tapes will work? I've been seeing very little locally that isn't below 60, if not below 90, so...

I found this on Ebay, but I'm not sure if it's able to work on a TI corder, or how many games can fit on it.

For your consideration:

I use these (they work well and they have the added benefit of the clamshell case matching my original TI tapes) :

Current Price: $16.99 (25 Pack)

Translucent Soft Poly Box

Current Price: $.18 ea

Total cost less shipping is: $.86 per tape

Edited by twoodland

Dude, calm down; we're new to this, especially me, so we dunno which works and which don't.

I am calm. I just I'm trying to get through to you that there is no difference how you load it if you're going to load in the assembly language game you need memory to load it into. No matter how many times you ask the answers the same

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

first off unless you have 32k ram you can't load any assembly programs from disk OR tape.. there's a mini memory cart that will load ONLY mini memory assembly programs.. of which there are a few games

there are 2 exceptions to this rule

playground programs will load without 32k (so far, a lines demo, and a program that loads other programs.. really) these are super small to fit in the console ram

loading programs that work off cartridges that contain the program..

SO if you get a finalgrom99 or ubergrom or other rom cart you can load some programs off that.. many in fact..

If you get a mspac cart you can run mspac on a stock console, not sure if pitfall requires 32k.. some carts do.. mostly homebrews EVERYTHING from TI and atarisoft runs on stock console from cart.

programs you can load from cassette on a stock console are:

ti basic programs

very small extended basic programs (with extended basic cart)

buncha info in the FAQ pinned post about cassette stuff..

32k sidecars are available to fix that issue..

Greg

We're not sure which programs fit that, though, which is the problem. I know most homebrew games need that, but I know games like the Pac-Man games come from commercially-released cartridges themselves, and most of the other programs on the list provided I've never heard of, so I'm not sure which loads without the expansion and which don't. The only one we can be certain of is the wav files for Tunnels of Doom, since we need both the cartridge and the tape for it, and we were given the former. Please remember, we haven't touched this thing in decades, and while my boyfriend had a datacorder in the past, he didn't have many games to play on it, so he's not sure which ones would be TI-basic compatible, either. We're just fumbling in the dark, trying to get some insight from more knowledgeable people about this. We appreciate the help, but please bear with us with our questions. We do have the Extended Basic cart from his original set, so we can do some EXBasic stuff in it, so please keep that in mind.

Edited by xabin

I'm not sure what the intended target is for these two files... I tried to load them with E/A 5 in MESS... got error 3... and blank screen.

Hmm, that's interesting. We'll have to figure out something, then. At the very least, I'd like to get the original Pac-Man to play, since I stupidly loved the 2600 version, and playing with it a little makes me realize the TI version blows it out of the water. Looking on ebay, I've found a cheap copy of both games on floppy w/manual, but I don't think those will work for us, since also looking on ebay, compatible disk drives for the TI are going for upward of $100, and we can't afford that (the games themselves are going for around $15, at most).

Edited by xabin

The real source of any perceived contentions here... is most likely... one of the worlds most confusing computer information systems ever conceived of for games.

for instance when I said "I'm not sure what the intended target is for these two files...", I was refering to "MS-PACMAN1.wav" and "MS-PACMAN2.wav"... not "Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man"... there are just so many little interrelated details...

For instance there is a recurring misconception that because the LINE BY LINE ASSEMBLER doesn't accept PREDEFINED SYMBOLS... the MINI MEMORY's LOADER won't accept them either.

The MINIMEMORY's disk LOADER will load E/A3 files from disk... however without the 32k EXPANSION those programs must be just under 4K. curiously MINIMEMORY has no option to load E/A5 files.

It's the EXTENDED BASIC's LOADER that will not except external REFERENCES. Thus not accept PREDEFINED SYMBOLS as REFERENCES

The MINIMEMORY's tape loader saves/loads MEMORY IMAGES as 8K segments. but is not directy compatible with E/A5 files. A minor edit of the laod file might make small E/A5 files load this way!

I'll try to see what pacman does later. As a rule of thumb... I would be surprised to learn of a cartride dump that would fit into 4K. Since the file size of a .wav file is not an intuitive indication as to it's data's length... one has to wonder if such a file will load into 4K of space... also because MINIMEMORY has no E/A5 option... a third party tape loader would be needed to load a tape based E/A5 file.

Since the EDITOR/ASSEMBLER module requires 32K to start-up, you can't load an E/A5 file from it without 32K attached.

The point being... dumped modules must run from CPU RAM and cannot run from the 16K VDP RAM.

alright I think I am about to become confused... breaktime. :twisted: then :cool: again.

Hmm, that's interesting. We'll have to figure out something, then. At the very least, I'd like to get the original Pac-Man to play, since I stupidly loved the 2600 version, and playing with it a little makes me realize the TI version blows it out of the water. Looking on ebay, I've found a cheap copy of both games on floppy w/manual, but I don't think those will work for us, since also looking on ebay, compatible disk drives for the TI are going for upward of $100, and we can't afford that (the games themselves are going for around $15, at most).

The easiest way to run these cartridges is a FinalGROM or FlashROM99 cartridge loaded with the cartridge dump. No other hardware needed.

The other formats are for loading the game into external 32K RAM. So you need a 32K RAM (like the sidecar currently available) and a cartridge such as Editor/Assembler or MiniMemory that can load the program from disk or cassette. Some cartridge dump formats can be loaded from Extended Basic.

Other than BASIC programs, you will always need a 32k memory expansion to load disk or cassette programs into.

FlashROM99 emulates the original cartridge so no memory expansion is required.. for cartridge games.

Again, FlashROM99 by itself is able to run most of the Atarisoft modules (except DigDug and Moon Patrol I think). PacMan and Ms PacMan do work fine I think.

FlashROM99 cannot run a lot of TI cartridges (those based on GROM chips, like Tunnels of Doom.)

FinalGROM runs almost all cartridges.

The Sansa has a USB port that would allow you to transfer like maybe all the files from WHT at once... but I dont see .WAV on the support list... FLAC is loss-less, maybe a batch converter would work for that.

You would need a MIC port to SAVE CS1... I doubt the built in mic will perform well enough.

The Innovage claims .WAV playback, probably has a port or card slot... best to experiment with the levels. :)

The Sansa has a USB port that would allow you to transfer like maybe all the files from WHT at once... but I dont see .WAV on the support list... FLAC is loss-less, maybe a batch converter would work for that.

You would need a MIC port to SAVE CS1... I doubt the built in mic will perform well enough.

The Innovage claims .WAV playback, probably has a port or card slot... best to experiment with the levels. :)

The Innovage has a built-in usb connector, so that should work. So, how do I do this? I know MIC port for saving CS1, but what about loading the wav file to the TI from USB?

The Innovage has a built-in usb connector, so that should work. So, how do I do this? I know MIC port for saving CS1, but what about loading the wav file to the TI from USB?

Play it like it is music, and plug the TI cable into the headphone port.