IGNORED

Griel's Quest port (WIP)

Nop90

Yesterday, while travelinng on a train, wrote in three hours a quick port of Griel's quest, a game I had in my to do list for a while.

The game is a puzzle game and in origin was a japanes title for MSX2, but some years ago it was redone for MSX and the sources released on github (I used them only for gfx base and for level data).

It's nothing special at this poiut (just a POC, with bad gfx, no sound an many thing missing) but the game has potential.

I'll continue working on it, but very slowly because I already have three big project ongoing (two are for Lynx: one is Xump that will be released nexth month at Revision 2019, and the other is a secret).

Meanwhile, you can test the first two levels, and preview the other 54.

Move with arrows, B restart the level, A skip to next level. For other game instruction, there is a video of the MSX version on youtube, it's easy to guess the rules.

And, if someone want contibute to the port helping with the graphic or making tunes with chipper, he is welcome.

post-66453-0-58383400-1553541331.png

griels-quest_v0.1.zip

• Like 11

Looks better, but when running in Handy (in the online emulator) it runs extremely slowly on those fading scenes...

I'm testing the game with your online emulator and on my pc there is nothing wrong.

Fading is in the intro scene and you have to advance screens pressing A. Maybe this is not so clear and screen should advance after a couple of seconds if the key is not pressed, but as already said this is a preliminary work and everything needs tuning.

Edited by Nop90

BTW...do you come to Saarbruecken at 19th april?

No sorry, I'm busy with my family and the 21th is my wedding aniversary. Maybe next year.

But I'll be there with my heart: Retroguru will present my port of Xump for Atari Lynx at the gamedev compo. If you'll be there, bring your lynx with you and ask Vedder (the Xump music composer) to let you try the game in advance. No phsical release yet, so you'll need the sd cart. Anyway from 22th night the game wil lbe on Retrogutu site.

And remember to vote for us, I really hope in a good positioning for Xump. Last year my version of Hermes for 3ds got the 3rd place.

• Like 1

Hi Slidellman, thanks for your offer.

Griels sources for the MSX port are open source and you can find them on github. I'm going to release my sources as soon as I fix the code (I'm reorganizing the cart directory).

The only gfx that can be improved at the moment are the tiles and you can find the original 16x16 ones and the resixed and fixed by me 10x8 attached here.

Other graphics (title screen and intro) are taken without resizing, only some cropping of the black border. This reduces the screen space for text, that's why at the moment there are only few words instead of the full story.

Having a cool small font could be another useful thing. I attach here the fonts sheet too. I'm using the second font (the small one without shading) for everithing. Having a smaller font of the same stile could be great. But I know it's difficult to have something fancy at 5x7.

I assume you know about colors on Lynx. In this game I need color 0 to remain transparent (I change it at runtime for setting screen background color) and color 15 needs to be white for the font.

post-66453-0-76061500-1554272943.png

post-66453-0-40121900-1554272950.png

blocks_lynx.bmp

Feature request -- when the pause/resume button is used, the game pauses, but it would be nice if there was a "PAUSED" graphic (or other visual indicator) when the game is in the paused state. (you can infer it from the tiles not animating, so this is really just a "nice to have")

Edited by bhall408