IGNORED

New C64C Owner - Bulletproofing/Upgrades?

I just picked up a C64C off e-bay as I've always prefered the newer case style. Thankfully, I got one that has the original long board with the original SID in it. I also have an Ultimate-II+ (Warm Grey) with Tape Adapter on order. So, I have 2 main questions...

1) What can I do to the system to bullet-proof it for years to come? Heat sinks, capacitor replacement, etc? I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron - so no worries there.

and

2) What would you consider to be essential peripherals that I might want to consider getting/adding to the system - anything really, as long as it doesn't require modifying the case (which I'd prefer to keep stock). I heard someone mention the Nu-Brick power supply, but I can't seem to find where I'd purchase one of those from.

Cracked it open to discover exactly what I had inside. Looks like I got this mainboard...

https://www.breadbox64.com/c64-hardware/commodore-64c/assy-250466/

I just picked up a C64C off e-bay as I've always prefered the newer case style. Thankfully, I got one that has the original long board with the original SID in it. I also have an Ultimate-II+ (Warm Grey) with Tape Adapter on order. So, I have 2 main questions...

1) What can I do to the system to bullet-proof it for years to come? Heat sinks, capacitor replacement, etc? I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron - so no worries there.

and

2) What would you consider to be essential peripherals that I might want to consider getting/adding to the system - anything really, as long as it doesn't require modifying the case (which I'd prefer to keep stock). I heard someone mention the Nu-Brick power supply, but I can't seem to find where I'd purchase one of those from.

If you have a stock power brick that came with the 64C I'd suggest you stop using it and pick up a modern replacement. I can recommend this guy:

http://personalpages.tds.net/%7Ercarlsen/custom%20ps.html

He is well known in the US for Commodore repairs etc...

I personally have 2 of his white metal box type power supplies (I think they are $55) 1 for my 64 and 1 for the 128.

They are not the cheapest of course, but they will last and Ray stands by his work.

email: rcarlsen at tds dot net

If this C-64c still has the original power supply, get rid of it! I agree that Ray Carlsen makes great power supplies.An excellent choice.

I doubt you will need to change any caps. They rarely go bad in a 64. That's a problem with later model Amiga machines.

A good heat sink on the PLA wouldn't hurt (if it's an original).

Yes, if it is the long board the PLA chip is at risk. Of course you can wait until it breaks down to get a replacement solution.

Since you're getting the U2+, you are probably good regarding upgrades. It contains a software implementation for a secondary SID. If you don't like the sound, I suppose you could look for a dual SID board to install internally.