IGNORED

410 not working

johndotpizza

I know close to nothing about these computers so please bear with me.

I'm trying to get a 410 program recorder to work with my 800 computer. I insert the Basic CXL4002 cartridge into the left slot, insert the Touch Typing CX4110 tape into the 410, power on the 800 and see "ready" on screen and press "play" on the 410 but the 410 does nothing.

Have I done everything correctly? I suspect the 410 is simply broken.

Appreciate any help!

You press PLAY on the 410 and hold START while turning on your 800. After the tone you hit RETURN and the cassette should load.

If that doesnt work, try CLOAD, then PLAY and on the beep hit RETURN

Tried the first suggestion and still nothing. I have PLAY on when the 800 turns on, I hold down START and I get a blue screen with a cursor and I hear the tone but pressing RETURN doesn't do anything. Should the 410 show any signs of life without communicating with the computer because I get nothing from it at all.

I don't know what CLOAD is. If it's a command I don't know where/when to type it. :?

1. Check the wiring. The 410 must be connected to the power supply (to get power), and to the SIO port of the computer (to exchange data between the 410 and the computer)

2. Check if the 410 can rewind or fast forward, to see if its motor works and belts are in a good shape. Pressing PLAY alone doesn't do anything. This is normal, 410 needs signal from the computer to spin when PLAY is pressed.

To load the Touch typing, follow instructions here:

1. Power off the computer

2. Insert the BASIC cartridge

3. Powe on the computer, wait for the READY prompt

4. Insert the tape, rewind it to the beginning

5. Type CLOAD and press return

6. Computer beeps

7. Press PLAY

8. Press RETURN

The program will be loaded. If something goes wrong during the loading, you will get ERROR 138 or ERROR 143.

Turn the TV autio up - when doing that POKE or pressing a key to commence loading, you should get a click through the speaker. That should indicate at least that the control circuit in the tape drive that enables Play is working (and it works without the tape drive powered as well).

Thank you all for the replies!

2. Check if the 410 can rewind or fast forward, to see if its motor works and belts are in a good shape. Pressing PLAY alone doesn't do anything. This is normal, 410 needs signal from the computer to spin when PLAY is pressed.

The 410 is 100% plugged into power (it has an integrated cable) but I can't fast forward or rewind. I assume that means it's broken?

Thank you all for the replies!

The 410 is 100% plugged into power (it has an integrated cable) but I can't fast forward or rewind. I assume that means it's broken?

Yes, it is broken. In the best case, it's just worn out belts that can be easily replaced, but without proper diagnosis, one cannot tell what it is.

Ok I opened it up today and found that the drive belt was very loose. After inspection I decided to plug it in and see if the motor turned and surprisingly it did! I swear nothing would happen before. So now I know the motor works at least.

Now I just need a replacement belt. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• Like 1

Atari 410 belts are available. You can get them here. Here is an AA thread about belts for the 410 and 1010. Here is the 410 service manual from Atari although I rarely find these that useful.

I personally think you are better of getting a disk drive. So much easier and more fun.

I really like the idea of the cassette though. I didn't even know data was stored on cassettes like this until I found this thing. Besides, if all it takes is a new belt it's worth a shot.

I have several 410s and 1010s that need belt replacements. This is on my list of things to do but I haven't tried it yet. My understanding is that it isn't that easy. Good luck!

I don't see what would be hard about it. I can easily get to the existing belt. I think the problem is getting the right belt.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my new belt installed and my 410 will now rewind and advance the tape however the computer will not load from it. I've tried the hold START technique as well as the CLOAD command and neither seem to want to communicate with the 410. Is there anything else I can try? Maybe the serial connection is no good? The pins all look clean.

Does cload at least allow the 'play' button to start advancing the tape?

No. The tape never plays. I've tried every combination of starting with the play button pressed, pressing it later, running without holding START, with holding START. Nothing will start the tape playing.

When I do send CLOAD, though, I hear a low pitch beep which kind of sounds like an error sound. Is that right?

When I do send CLOAD, though, I hear a low pitch beep which kind of sounds like an error sound. Is that right?

That's right, when you hear that beep, it's your prompt to press play on the 410, then press return on the computer.

• Like 1

After I hear the long beep then hit return I hear another short beep but still nothing happens.

I just let it sit for a bit after hitting return and I first got a "boot error" and then "Error- 138" which looks to be a I/O timeout. So I'm assuming my 410 is just dead, despite the fact that it can be rewound and advanced.

After I hear the long beep then hit return I hear another short beep but still nothing happens.

What happens if you try this without a cassette in it? Do the capstans, etc. turn if the play button is engaged?

I'd also recommend checking to see if the tape counter advances (or regresses) under fast forward, rewind, and playback.