IGNORED

3-D Printable Atari 8-bit Cartridge Holder

Bill Lange

I created this Atari 8-bit cartridge holder based on something I saw on Thingiverse and modified it with input from folks on FB.

I'll use it to hold (and quickly keep track of) cartridges for my VCF East exhibit.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Bill!

Anybody who is willing to make a little batch here in Europe? Shipping costs from USA to Europe will be three times higher than the PLA costs I think :(

I would take 2 or 3.

• Like 1

Glow in the dark ones would be cool, but I'd have to test them out next to my system with the lights off, and see if they glow still with the internal LED lighting on my 1200 and 1050's glowing and the monitor too...I think that stuff would all be to bright...maybe just some LED back-lighting on the stands themselves...

I printed mine with a $300 Flashforge Finder 3d printer using $20 HATCHBOX PLA 3D Printer Filament, Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.03 mm, 1 kg Spool, 1.75 mm, Gray

I'd be willing to print them at $15 each plus shipping. Note that it takes 7+ hours to print and takes up to about 20% of a spool of filament. I'll weight and see how much of the 1 KG of filament is used.

I will contact you soon (hours, days, weeks) via PM about a couple of them.

• Like 1

I really like the way this print turned out. Even at only 10% infill, it feels really sturdy -- it's about 4.5 oz.

I wanted to experiment with 10% infill (and I needed it to finish printing before I went to bed), but I wouldn't recommend it, especially with a translucent filament. Smaller triangles would look nicer. Plus, my printer was pretty messy printing 10%; with 20%, the triangles are very neat and clean. Not sure why that happens.

By the way, this model helped me to get my print bed level today. The first few layers are perfect for testing!

The glow in the dark luminesces quite dramatically for the first ten minutes or so, especially if it was under a light before the lights go out. Then it slowly gets dimmer.

• Like 4

It would be cool if they could be made with bookend "feet" to go under the books.

My smallish Flashforge Finder printer can only print slightly less than 6 inches square. The cart holder is slightly more than 4 inches deep. I can whip up another version that has an inch and a half or so of "footness" that a book or two can sit on. Its not much, but its something.

Well done! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Bill!

Anybody who is willing to make a little batch here in Europe? Shipping costs from USA to Europe will be three times higher than the PLA costs I think :(

I would take 2 or 3.

What constitutes "little batch" for you? 10 pieces?

I bought some Blue filament and it arrived today. I have one printing, but it is still a few hours away from finishing. Here's how it looks about 2/3 of the way done. You get a good view how the "solid" part isn't really solid, but honeycombed.

I like the look. It should look good with XE boxes and cartridges.

post-188-0-88820700-1554343346_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I bought some Blue filament and it arrived today. I have one printing, but it is still a few hours away from finishing. Here's how it looks about 2/3 of the way done. You get a good view how the "solid" part isn't really solid, but honeycombed.

I like the look. It should look good with XE boxes and cartridges.

attachicon.gifIMG_1752.JPG

The Honeycomb is one of the strongest structure forms there is...probably sturdier than if it were solid...

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is rather dead, but I had something to add, and hopefully someone will see my comment at some time and find it useful. Someone asked about left, center and right versions of the cartridge stand so you can line them up without a gap in between, which seemed a good idea, so I pulled the stl file into my cad software and recreated the model. I made it partially open underneath to reduce the printing time, but without requiring supports, at least on my printer. On my low end Ender 3, using 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2mm layer thickness and 20% infill it reduced the print time according to CURA from 13 hrs 27 mins to 12 hrs 39 mins, and the amount of filament from 133g to 97g. This is for the version with the logo on both sides, as shown in the picture. I have uploaded 4 versions, the one with 2 logos, one with a logo on the left, one with it on the right and one with no logo. Those three together will allow you to line them up without gaps. I didn't include any way to clip them together, as in my experience, small 3d printed clips break easily, but you can always glue them if you want to. If anyone really wants to clip them together, I can modify the model to include a way to do it.

Atari Cartridge Stand 2.stlAtari Cartridge Stand 2 Center.stlAtari Cartridge Stand 2 Left.stlAtari Cartridge Stand 2 Right.stl

Cartridge Underside.gif

• Like 6

I've had two of these for I think about two years now, that @Bill Lange printed up for me, I love them. They are currently set-up side-by-side, and yes, this leaves a gap. I've also had them set back-to-back and rear left & right Corners touching in a right angle. I painted my stands XL-white, as I do to my proto/beta XEGS cartridges with the XL style cases. among others.

20210101_204039.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Doug, guys

Just an idea: At the moment, the logos are sticking out.  Why not make the logo on one side recessed?  If for instance the logo on the left side would stick out and the logo on the right side would be recessed, one logo would fit inside the other.  This would leave no gap between two stands.

Sincerely

Mathy

48 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Doug, guys

Just an idea: At the moment, the logos are sticking out.  Why not make the logo on one side recessed?  If for instance the logo on the left side would stick out and the logo on the right side would be recessed, one logo would fit inside the other.  This would leave no gap between two stands.

Sincerely

Mathy

This would probably help hold them in place better while removing and inserting cartridges, so you aren't aligning them every time they are touched, which is an issue if you don't hold the stand at the same time. Of course some rubber feet on the bottom would probably work as well or better. I'll have to pick up some thin ones and try it.

Edited by Gunstar