IGNORED

3-D Printable Atari 8-bit Cartridge Holder

Bill Lange

Hello AeroDD

28 minutes ago, AeroDD said:

I could be wrong, but the words won't match up for you to mate two cartridge holders together.

Oops, didn't think of that.  In that case it might be best to reces the logo on both sides (and maybe use some other method to hook multiple holders together, if needed).  Or "ATARI" could be turned into "IRATA" on one side. ;-)

Sincerely

Mathy

On 1/1/2021 at 3:18 AM, Doug_in_NC said:

I know this thread is rather dead, but I had something to add, and hopefully someone will see my comment at some time and find it useful. Someone asked about left, center and right versions of the cartridge stand so you can line them up without a gap in between, which seemed a good idea, so I pulled the stl file into my cad software and recreated the model. I made it partially open underneath to reduce the printing time, but without requiring supports, at least on my printer. On my low end Ender 3, using 0.4mm nozzle, 0.2mm layer thickness and 20% infill it reduced the print time according to CURA from 13 hrs 27 mins to 12 hrs 39 mins, and the amount of filament from 133g to 97g. This is for the version with the logo on both sides, as shown in the picture. I have uploaded 4 versions, the one with 2 logos, one with a logo on the left, one with it on the right and one with no logo. Those three together will allow you to line them up without gaps. I didn't include any way to clip them together, as in my experience, small 3d printed clips break easily, but you can always glue them if you want to. If anyone really wants to clip them together, I can modify the model to include a way to do it.

Atari Cartridge Stand 2.stl 103.5 kB · 5 downloads Atari Cartridge Stand 2 Center.stl 21.66 kB · 6 downloads Atari Cartridge Stand 2 Left.stl 62.29 kB · 4 downloads Atari Cartridge Stand 2 Right.stl 62.88 kB · 4 downloads

Cartridge Underside.gif

Thank you, I just printed this with a Prusa i3MK3S and are very happy with the result of the first stand (left). Only thing I didn´t check beforehand: It doesn´t fit with all my cartridges. Anyway, really nice. :)

fit.thumb.jpeg.543525e1d2a97cd0b7aac6dc086936c7.jpegnoFit.thumb.jpeg.e9d8afd4b82c155e8504059a3126aa13.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I made this cart holder. 
works great but doesn’t show the carts off as well as the one above. 

96E15F4F-96E9-4052-B76D-23EA146C79EE.jpeg

That´s the next on the list. Already in the queue. Many, many cartridges here. Why design something on my own, when so many great designs are available already. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

Someone just got a 3d Printer :D 

Oh yesss. It was on the list for a long time and I got it a few months ago. I´m still learning but meanwhile I figured out to achieve a good quality for me. Still have some trouble when using new filaments that I didn´t use before, but I´m getting better. The most important thing: I just can let it print, after the first two layers are done. It´s so cool to wake up and find a finished print. :)

2 hours ago, ivop said:

I experienced the same problem. My solution was to increase the width-axis to 105% before slicing. 110% was too big.

Yes, I will do it for the middle part of the three holders, left and right are done and fit well for the standard cartridges.

But tonight the printer is busy with Steve´s design. :)

• Like 1

I made it the size of the original model, and when I printed it out it fitted the Atari 800 cartridges I have, but my SIDE 2 which is about 1/8" or 3mm wider doesn't fit. I'm new to Atari stuff, so I wasn't sure what the correct size should be. I kinda assumed all cartridges were the same size. If you guys can tell me the maximum width and depth of the cartridges you have, I can adjust it to fit. Bear in mind that there are slight differences from printer to printer in terms of the size things come out. 

1 hour ago, Doug_in_NC said:

I made it the size of the original model, and when I printed it out it fitted the Atari 800 cartridges I have, but my SIDE 2 which is about 1/8" or 3mm wider doesn't fit. I'm new to Atari stuff, so I wasn't sure what the correct size should be. I kinda assumed all cartridges were the same size. If you guys can tell me the maximum width and depth of the cartridges you have, I can adjust it to fit. Bear in mind that there are slight differences from printer to printer in terms of the size things come out. 

There are differences in the "new" cartridges, too. With the second run of "The!Cart" we figured out, that some fit into an Atari 800 and some don´t.

Those of my carts don´t fit in @Doug_in_NC´s cart stand: all AVG-Carts, SIDE2, SIDE3, Bomb Jake, The Rescue Expedition, Ridiculous Reality. While @Mr Robot´s still is printing, I was keen enough to put the carts in, as it already is at 60%, and there they all fit. So, my advice is to use the dimensions of that cart stand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, skr said:

There are differences in the "new" cartridges, too. With the second run of "The!Cart" we figured out, that some fit into an Atari 800 and some don´t.

We've also only just realised (with the release of SIDE B) that there are variations in the size of the 1200XL cart tunnel too.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, skr said:

Thank you, I just printed this with a Prusa i3MK3S and are very happy with the result of the first stand (left). Only thing I didn´t check beforehand: It doesn´t fit with all my cartridges. Anyway, really nice. :)

fit.thumb.jpeg.543525e1d2a97cd0b7aac6dc086936c7.jpegnoFit.thumb.jpeg.e9d8afd4b82c155e8504059a3126aa13.jpeg

The problem isn't the cartridge holder, it fits 99% of Atari cartridges, the problem is some people using Commodore sized cartridge cases for Atari software & hardware! After my second replacement commodore cartridge case from Retronics that still didn't close up right with a PCB not meant to fit, I finally put my 'The Rescue Expedition board in my old The!Cart case, (as I had put it in a real Atari cartridge) now it closes right (after my own modification to the PCB) and fits in the Atari cart holder (see my picture in post #43).

Edited by Gunstar

Now I have a problem: I love them both, even in this draft quality (I´m still fiddeling with the high quality settings). I will print some more of both designs to have a nice home for the other dozens of cartridges lurking around my place. :) Maybe I print one in each color. Hmmm. Should get 256 different filaments matching the Atari color palette.

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Gunstar said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a budget 3D printer $300 or less? I see quite a few on Amazon, but are printers that cheap total crap, or do some of you use similar?

I like my Ender 3. The Ender 3 V2 looks like it might have improved things.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I like my Ender 3. The Ender 3 V2 looks like it might have improved things.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job.

Cool, thanks for the info, pretty good is good enough for me, for my first 3D printer. If I really get into printing 3D a lot, I'll look for something better down the road, I just don't want to buy something that total crap and money down the toilet. I'll take a look at them. What types of filament should I use and avoid? I'll wait a bit yet before pulling the trigger in case others have suggestions so I can choose from a couple...

Also, being a total noob to 3D printing, is an enclosure necessary? I also see a bundle option with a silent mainboard, what's that about? Is it something I need or is it just if you want silent printing or something? I don't care about noise.

Edited by Gunstar

6 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll take a look at them. What types of filament should I use and avoid? I'll wait a bit yet before pulling the trigger in case others have suggestions so I can choose from a couple...

Also, being a total noob to 3D printing, is an enclosure necessary?

I just went through my Amazon History earlier today. Since I got a printer in December 2017, I have purchased 61 rolls of filament.

16 different brands. 25 rolls of hatchbox, 11 rolls of 3D Solutech, 4 Inland. No other brand was purchased more than twice. I have been pretty happy with Hatchbox and the 3D Solutech.

I purchased 21 different colors, 16 white, 15 black, no other color more than 4 times

I've averaged $19.08 per roll, or another way to look at that, is I've spent over $1,100 on Filament.

So, with all of that, my two favorites are Hatchbox and 3D Solutech (in that order).

• Like 1

My 3D printer is a "Frankenprinter" with different parts. As for fillament, I'd skip PLA completely and go for PETG. Slightly higher temperature, no heated bed required (I set it to 40 degrees C), and oozing is almost non-existent! That's because PLA slowly melts slowly and cools slowly. Even with decent fans. PETG stays solid way longer, melts quickly and cools faster. Both are non-toxic, but PLA smells because of it roots in sugar I believe. PETG is odorless. I'd stay away from ABS, because that is toxic and needs very good ventilation of the room, or print outside ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ivop said:

My 3D printer is a "Frankenprinter" with different parts.

Did you build from scratch? I started with an ender3 but I think the only original components left now are the frame, zscrew and psu LOL I like frankenprinter! Good name for it.

15 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Did you build from scratch? I started with an ender3 but I think the only original components left now are the frame, zscrew and psu LOL I like frankenprinter! Good name for it.

I started with this one. The controller board, PSU, hot-end, cabling, tube and display, have all been replaced. The only thing original is the frame and motors :)

I paid €179,= for the basic printer. Total cost now is between €300 and €400, excluding all the fillament ;)

Edit: I'd never buy a 12x12 3D printer again. You can have 25x25 for under €300 now. I do have an E3D v6 print head though.

Edited by ivop