IGNORED

You THEN vs. You NOW

JayAre

For those of you that played 2600 games growing up and still play them today, do you find that you were a better player back then or now?

For me, for the most part, I think I play better now. It seems that, as adults, we tend to analyze the games a bit more to identify the best strategies to improve our scores, more so than when we were kids. Even though we had video gaming magazines back then, the internet is a great resource for walkthroughs and gameplay strategies, which can greatly help players today. Although one of the downsides of playing as an adult is that our reflexes probably aren't what they used to be.

Curious to hear what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

For those of you that played 2600 games growing up and still play them today, do you find that you were a better player back then or now?

For me, for the most part, I think I play better now. It seems that, as adults, we tend to analyze the games a bit more to identify the best strategies to improve our scores, more so than when we were kids. Even though we had video gaming magazines back then, the internet is a great resource for walkthroughs and gameplay strategies, which can greatly help players today. Although one of the downsides of playing as an adult is that our reflexes probably aren't what they used to be.

Curious to hear what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

I think my reflexes are fine, but like anything else, if you practice frequently, you get better, you don't do it for awhile you get rusty.

My main problem is most 2600 games don't hold my interest very long anymore. There's just a handful I will go back to.

• Like 3

When I played 2600 as a kid, I had an NES and was borrowing the Atari. So 2600 games were an inferior but still fun alternative. I played them because they offered something my NES didn't.

Now I have a lot more options, so it's harder for the 2600 to offer the same novelty. There are about a dozen games that still call to me.

When I played 2600 as a kid, I had an NES and was borrowing the Atari. So 2600 games were an inferior but still fun alternative. I played them because they offered something my NES didn't.

Now I have a lot more options, so it's harder for the 2600 to offer the same novelty. There are about a dozen games that still call to me.

Curious which ones those are...

I think overall, I might be a better player today. Better because I've had lots of practice (Moon Patrol comes to mind) and know what to expect out of certain games. Depending on the game, worse maybe because I don't devote the attention to some games that require lengthy sit downs. Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind there. When I was young, was nothing to sit and spend untold hours on this stuff, figuring things out and getting good at something. Rarely possible today, which is why I still love the VCS. Perfect combination of skill and time "required" of the shorter sessions. And if you want to or have the time, certainly enough games present such a challenge or are compelling enough for some marathon gaming. :)

• Like 2

I'm a way better player now. I think I'm looking more at the patterns of gameplay and thinking more critically about the way the games are programmed. I think also talking my way through the games on the livestream (ZPH) helps a lot with understanding the mechanics and how best to exploit them. I also used to jump from game to game more than I do now, I'll put in more time now and not give up as easily when I die.

• Like 2

I certainly had more free time back then, but like several of you, I think I'm better now at analyzing games, exploring them systematically, etc. My biggest problem now is that I'm mostly out of practice, because I usually have time to play only in short bursts. When I do have the chance to sink some significant time and effort into an old favorite, I often have the experience of pushing it farther and earning higher scores than I remember being able to do as a kid. So yes, I'm definitely a better player now than I was then.

• Like 3

About the same. I wasn't a rabid gamer then and now I tend to spend more time building controllers to play games with than actually playing games with them.

I keep telling myself when I finish my current multi-function controller project that I'll actually use it...

Im in the same boat it really depends on the game. There is many i was good at as a lad but can't even come close these days. Too much of these "i got things that need to be done" thoughts that run through the mind these days causing a lack in patience.

Plus i think we are spoiled for games these days so the practice isn't really there. However every now and then i come across something engaging that i can throw full concentration into. In those situations id say play better then i did as a lad.

• Like 1

I'm better now. I wasn't very patient as a kid so I didn't play most games long enough to get good at them.

I would agree with this to a certain point. Back then i played the hell out of games that i liked, and didn't play games that i didn't find interesting. Nowadays i will give all games a chance, primarily because of the highscore competition on here :)