IGNORED

Wanted: Atari 5200 Switch Box

evildead9000

I recently bought an Atari 5200 on eBay. The listing stated that it did not have a switch box. I had no idea that it was proprietary and that other A/V cables (which I have plenty of) would not work.

At this point I may just sell the system back on eBay and buy another with the cable included.

If the price is right I'd purchase, but only if you have a good standing here with a lot of posts.

Thanks for reading!

Long live Atari!

I recently bought an Atari 5200 on eBay. The listing stated that it did not have a switch box. I had no idea that it was proprietary and that other A/V cables (which I have plenty of) would not work.

At this point I may just sell the system back on eBay and buy another with the cable included.

If the price is right I'd purchase, but only if you have a good standing here with a lot of posts.

Thanks for reading!

Long live Atari!

Do you actually need one ? You just need an adapter to connect to the COAX input on a lot of TVs.... Then connect to your COAX connector on your TV and put it on Channel 3 or 4...

If you want something like RCA, HDMI so you can go right into a video input, most older systems (pre-NES) do not support it, so the only way is to modify it (solder a board into the system and put outputs on the back).

To release a switch box....You just need something like...

B2-5359-1.jpg

Edited by TheCoolDave

I do have many other systems hooked up with the adapter you posted. However, I can't power the unit.

As per the following link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atari-5200-Switchbox.jpg

"The Atari 5200's switchbox is notable as it carries both the power and A/V signal to the system through the same wire. The switchbox is absolutely necessary for playing or using the system."

Get it power modded and you can use a standard F to coax adapter on it at that point. But depending on where you live it could cost more than you might like for shipping both ways.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Hello All,

I found a listing on eBay for the switch box, but was outbid! $64!!

However, I then found another listing for another Atari 5200 console with 30 2600 games, 4 5200 games, 2 5200 controllers, 2 5200 power adapters, an extra 2600 controller, RF TV/Game switch, a 2600 adapter and TWO switch boxes (and more)! So now I have a switch box for the 5200 I already had and also another complete system. Total was $194.95 and $32.25 for shipping. Unit is in very good condition.

Really happy with the purchase. Already tested and all work fine. The video quality is very good connecting to coax on a modern LCD.

Sorry for delay in response. Life got a bit busy!

Thanks much for the responses,

Kevin

• Like 2

I have an extra 4-port switchbox... let me dig it out and get back to you in a day or two.

If you find that switchbox I'll gladly buy it from you. My 5200 crapped out last night. I checked the power supply with a multimiter and it was fine. So it's either the switchbox, or there's apparently a chip inside that needs replacing. My $$ is on the switchbox, it normally "clicks" when you plug in the a/c plug to the box, and then that familiar 'spark' when you plug the cord from the unit it, but neither of those happen.

Anyways, if you still have, I'm interested.

Edited by jetset

If you find that switchbox I'll gladly buy it from you. My 5200 crapped out last night. I checked the power supply with a multimiter and it was fine. So it's either the switchbox, or there's apparently a chip inside that needs replacing. My $$ is on the switchbox, it normally "clicks" when you plug in the a/c plug to the box, and then that familiar 'spaek' when you plug the cord from the unit it, but neither of those happen.

Anyways, if you still have, I'm interested.

That switch box can commonly, be easily repaired. 99% of the time, either a transistor, or the little voltage comparator IC inside fail. In the system itself, the little IC nearest the power button fails often.

Edited by zylon

That switch box can commonly usually be easily repaired. 99% of the time, either a transistor, or the little voltage comparator IC inside fail. In the system itself, the little IC nearest the power button fails often.

Yeah I opened it, the contacts were fairly tight. I'm all thumbs when it comes to this stuff, so fixing it isn't in the cards. If the shipping weren't so cost prohibitive, I'd send the unit out to get the power mod done.

Yeah I opened it, the contacts were fairly tight. I'm all thumbs when it comes to this stuff, so fixing it isn't in the cards. If the shipping weren't so cost prohibitive, I'd send the unit out to get the power mod done.

yeah and the 5200 doesn't ship very well either. I recently did the power mod for another AA member earlier this month. You would be looking at at least $20 in most cases to have it shipped within the US. In my case, the client shipped from his PO and it cost him $21 and some change. For me to ship it back, due to the client living on an island and I have no idea why..it cost me $57 to ship it back in the exact same manner?!

Point being I did the power mod, and didn't break even on that request. But I was still glad to do it.

But yeah..shipping 5200s and even Intellivisions can be expensive.

Hey, jetset, if you need a switch box, I have one you can have. I completed a power mod and s-video mod in my 5200 years ago, so I don't need the switch box.

If you ever decide you want to do it, the power mod is pretty easy. I think it was one of the first console mods I ever did.

I have replacement parts for repair of the switch box on hand, if you wanted to try that route. I only keep one switch box and just keep fixing it when needed.

post-25215-0-17888300-1554166711_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info and guidance all! Chicgames was kind enough to set me up. Amazing how much like a crack addict you feel when you go from sitting for a few hours every other day on your Atari to "SHIT! now what?!?!?!?"

Zylon, is there a link somewhere with instructions for your fix? Even though I've got my problem solved, I'd LOVE to experiment on the old box. Worst case scenario I screw it up...well, it was broke to begin with. I would SO do the power mod, but I'm all thumbs. The first time I took apart a 5200 controller to fix the fire buttons, I literally wanted to jump off a building trying to get the damn thing back together. Now I'm about 75% proficient at it. I just need practice.

OMG I am literally excited I'll be playing my 5200 again soon!

Pic is fairly clear. I'm pointing at the transistor in question: 2N 3906 transistor. The IC is just above and right of that (only one on the board) LM393P

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2N3906-Transistors-PNP-Transistor-10pcs-USA-Seller-Ships-TODAY/163043933069?epid=1401507306&hash=item25f62cfb8d:g:hxEAAOSwWida4O2z

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-of-Ti-LM393-Dual-Differential-Comparators-DIP-8-sockets-US-seller/131928961045?epid=1603940091&hash=item1eb7943015:g:55wAAOSwoudW3hyS

Only basic soldering/desoldering skills required. :)

post-25215-0-15686300-1554233851_thumb.jpg

• Like 1