IGNORED

Suggestion to set a monthly WWW.MYTI99.COM group chat time

twoodland

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GDMike said:

Is there a way to make a "messenger" type app out of chatti,  Interrupt your ti screen with message, or message drop into a folder? 

Interesting idea for sure.  Problem is, Chatti would always have to be running.  It's a Catch 22, many people never load Chatti up, because they never have a message waiting once they go there, so they don't go there, resulting in very few messages ever being sent.

I thought of a way to potentially increase activity there, but it would require unsolicited work on @jedimatt42's part by requiring "feature creep" in Force Command, which last I heard is not something he wants to do at the moment.  Essentially the idea would be to have a provision in Force Command to interact with your personal MYTI99.COM data your SD card and check for messages at each and every return to the DOS prompt, then displaying a small asterisk at the top or bottom of the now larger screen.  This way you would at least know when you have a message waiting and can then load up Chatti to read it, which would reset the flag.

Honestly the part of the tipi server software that remains from ElectricLab is the proprietary interface he build to myti99.com - It isn't documented, I don't understand it enough to use it. I would do it over and require the use of my TCP interface instead. 

The group chat, is using TCP, it is a 99ML application for Stuart's Browser. 

I'd like to see someone write an IRC client for the 4A using the TCP interface. Then you get a late 80's server tech that is still running around today. Accessible from that ubiquitous thing in your pocket, or your 4A.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

is this still happening? nobody seems to be on..

Likewise, I was going to join tonight around 9:30PM Eastern.

These monthly chats are still on the calendar for the 9th of every month, one at 9PM Central European Time and the other at 9PM Eastern Time. But seems like interest wanes and waxes, depending on the day of the week and time of year.

(Whenever I don't already have an evening commitment, I aim for the 9PM Eastern session since I'm in Chicago.)  

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jmazzy said:

I would have liked to logon but had another commitment.  Hopefully others were able to join.

nope.. just me again.. so probably this should be scrapped if nobody's going to participate we have enough other ways to communicate.  If people want to chat there's the discord (link below) which is easily accessed from modern machines and phones 

Greg 

• Sad 1

On 10/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, arcadeshopper said:

nope.. just me again.. so probably this should be scrapped if nobody's going to participate we have enough other ways to communicate.  If people want to chat there's the discord (link below) which is easily accessed from modern machines and phones 

Greg 

Hi, Greg.  

Sorry to hear no one else was able to join.    

True, there are other ways to communicate, although each of those ways offers a different experience:  Discord is a slick modern platform for real-time and non-real-time chatting. The Zoom-TI-99ers Pandemic 4A Club call is a fun put-a-face-to-a-name video meetup. 

Chatting on MYTI99.COM via the actual TI console, needless to say, offers a certain nostalgic experience similar to classic BBS chatting, and I'm sure some folks still enjoy it.  The low turnout lately is unfortunate, but I don't think there's any harm in leaving it as standing event for anyone who might be available and interested.

How do others feel about it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jmazzy said:

Chatting on MYTI99.COM via the actual TI console, needless to say, offers a certain nostalgic experience similar to classic BBS chatting, and I'm sure some folks still enjoy it.  The low turnout lately is unfortunate, but I don't think there's any harm in leaving it as standing event for anyone who might be available and interested.

How do others feel about it?

I agree.  One of the truths of life is, if you don't use it, you lose it.  Sadly, if people connect and never get any action, they'll have a tendency not to check back after numerous attempts.  In the old days many BBS systems went tits up because of little to no activity.  The same thing could apply here.  If no one takes advantage of it, why would he continue to make stuff for it or even support it?  I'm currently logged into the chat room (as I write this message)... let's see if anyone shows up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

I agree.  One of the truths of life is, if you don't use it, you lose it.  Sadly, if people connect and never get any action, they'll have a tendency not to check back after numerous attempts.  In the old days many BBS systems went tits up because of little to no activity.  The same thing could apply here.  If no one takes advantage of it, why would he continue to make stuff for it or even support it?  I'm currently logged into the chat room (as I write this message)... let's see if anyone shows up.

We're all in the zoom.. speaking of taking advantage of things

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I was out of town this time.  I will be on for sure next time!  Anything to get this going, I am up for.  I really want to use the console to communicate with other 99er's.

Also, my SAMS sidecar is not working at the moment and I am hoping to get that resolved soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ElectricLab said:

I always forget it, and need to add it to my phone's calendar. I need to do the same for the zoom meetings too. When are those?

No worries.  Back in May, I set up Google Calendar events for the monthly chat.  Here are the details:

On 5/10/2020 at 3:52 PM, jmazzy said:

And Matt set up the Zoom call for every two weeks.  You'll find the details here:

• 4 weeks later...