IGNORED

Any PC VR players?

matt2d2

Been having loads of fun over the last year with stuff like Bridge Crew, Pavlov, and some of the amazing single player experiences and games. Recently Bigscreen Beta released a new update that takes that to the next level. This is an amazing way to game, watch movies (including 3d).

I have an Oculus Rift that I recently bought after it dropped to $349 with the Touch controllers (pretty good value there). The only game I've played with it so far, though, is X-Plane.

I feel like the overall experience of the Rift, and probably of other PC headsets too, is a little confused compared to PSVR, which I also have. That's sort of what I expected, though. I keep having to re-pair my controllers, for example, and I've had to re-calibrate my sensors multiple times too. I don't know whether I should be buying my games through the Oculus store or Steam, which is one reason why I haven't bought any (I already had X-Plane). Then there's the issue of "room scale" vs. "sitting" VR - the Rift seems like it wants to do standing room scale VR, but I want to play while sitting, and it seems like there's a large number of people who feel the same way (judging by the talk about it online).

So I haven't gotten fully into PC VR yet. Though once I have a little more time, I plan to finally try to figure some stuff out and get some more games.

Got my daughter a Samsung Odyssey+ headset for Christmas and get almost all games through Steam. Have been loving a number of different types of VR experiences. Have had no issues with controller tracking or losing connection. The 'Wow!' factor is certainly there for us with a # of games like 'SkyrimVR', 'The Talos Principle', 'Torn', and 'Minecraft'. More 'light hearted' games like 'Fruit Ninja VR', 'The Lab' and 'Badminton Kings VR' are also a lot of fun. On the educational side, things like 'Apollo 11 VR HD', 'Titanic VR' and almost any of the array of other 'Space-Oriented' titles are very entertaining. 'Bigscreen' is definitely very cool and if you have a Blu-Ray player capable of playing 3-D movies in (or attached to your pc/laptop), and care to go through the, yes-somewhat-annoying-cumbersome, process of setting up the necessary components, the 3-D movie experience in a VR head set from a Blu Ray disk is light years beyond watching a 3-D movie in the theater.

Definitely a lot of fun to be had in VR!

Edited by mckafka99
  • Like 1

Santa got my kid a Vive a couple Christmases ago.. we really like it. We don't play it a huge amount but it's great to know it's there whenever we hear of something cool and know we have the ability to try it. I'm actually thinking of getting the recent new Battlezone game to play classic mode in VR. Thanks for reminding me. :P

Got an Oculus when it hit retail. The straps made my face look like someone beat the pulp outta me. THEN a few months later the audio cable got irreparably ripped out when the strap broke. Patched it up with duct tape and just use the computers speakers.

I can't stand the 3D controllers so I only play games that use real joysticks. Skyrim and Minecraft mainly.

3DNes was fun for a few minutes but the GUI is horrible and laggy. Virtual Boy emulation is pure joy.

The screen door effect is very distracting and makes using the oculus as a monitor untenable. Oh, although less than perfect and sometimes frame-rate killing VorpX is essential for playing non-VR games.

When I build a new rig I'm definitely going to be in the club. My current one only has a GTX 670 and an AMD 8150 processor, which would bottleneck newer cards. I was thinking the other day if I should get a PSVR since you can get it to work for PC after jumping through some hoops. I mainly want VR for Alien Isolation and Elite Dangerous.

• Like 1

Great to see that there are VR lovers here! I've logged much time in Star Trek Bridge crew which is just a blast, and so immersive. Beat Saber is loads of fun, Tilt Brush. I just like doing Google Earth. Mindblowing. Playing games (even non-VR) on a 100 foot screen in Bigscreen Beta is unbelievable.

Got my daughter a Samsung Odyssey+ headset for Christmas and get almost all games through Steam. Have been loving a number of different types of VR experiences. Have had no issues with controller tracking or losing connection. The 'Wow!' factor is certainly there for us with a # of games like 'SkyrimVR', 'The Talos Principle', 'Torn', and 'Minecraft'. More 'light hearted' games like 'Fruit Ninja VR', 'The Lab' and 'Badminton Kings VR' are also a lot of fun. On the educational side, things like 'Apollo 11 VR HD', 'Titanic VR' and almost any of the array of other 'Space-Oriented' titles are very entertaining. 'Bigscreen' is definitely very cool and if you have a Blu-Ray player capable of playing 3-D movies in (or attached to your pc/laptop), and care to go through the, yes-somewhat-annoying-cumbersome, process of setting up the necessary components, the 3-D movie experience in a VR head set from a Blu Ray disk is light years beyond watching a 3-D movie in the theater.

Definitely a lot of fun to be had in VR!

Yes, so true! I am so happy to be able to enjoy 3D this way! Gravity, Mad Max Fury Road, and Marvel stuff I've watched in 3D is intense!

Got an Oculus when it hit retail. The straps made my face look like someone beat the pulp outta me. THEN a few months later the audio cable got irreparably ripped out when the strap broke. Patched it up with duct tape and just use the computers speakers.

I can't stand the 3D controllers so I only play games that use real joysticks. Skyrim and Minecraft mainly.

3DNes was fun for a few minutes but the GUI is horrible and laggy. Virtual Boy emulation is pure joy.

The screen door effect is very distracting and makes using the oculus as a monitor untenable. Oh, although less than perfect and sometimes frame-rate killing VorpX is essential for playing non-VR games.

Yeah, oculus is really the worst of the mix. Both the Vive headsets and the WMR headsets from Dell and Samsung blow Rift away.

When I build a new rig I'm definitely going to be in the club. My current one only has a GTX 670 and an AMD 8150 processor, which would bottleneck newer cards. I was thinking the other day if I should get a PSVR since you can get it to work for PC after jumping through some hoops. I mainly want VR for Alien Isolation and Elite Dangerous.

If you already like Elite Dangerous, and play it, this game alone is worth getting a VR setup!

Edited by matt2d2

I have the Rift but can't stand the screen door effect. If it didn't have that it would be awesome for games like rFactor 2, Dirty Rally, and IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. I'll try again once they hit something like 8K per eye with computer GPUs which can handle that.

I have an Oculus Rift and absolutely love it. Robo Recall is one of my favorite games in the last ten years. It's so damn good. The second you think, "Oh, this is a gimmick game", it throws another mechanic at you and requires you to score better. It's so good. Production values and size/scope of the environments is top-notch. I listen to the OST on its own, if that's anything to go by.

• Like 1