IGNORED

NEW Sega MD/Genesis Mini advert

F34R

It looks like on th top there is a slot. Or that is another illusion?

Obviously but likely just to replicate the look of the original, it is way too small to accept original carts.

IF there were an SD slot inside would seem odd to place under a flap, I would think they would have made it pretty obvious since a SD slot would be considered a feature but I guess we will see.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

• 3 weeks later...

The next 10 games have been announced. Some real surprises, including two Disney licenses:

http://genesismini.sega.com/

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck

Thunder Force III

Super Fantasy Zone

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

Streets of Rage 2

Earthworm Jim

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (our first series repeat)

Contra Hard Corps

Landstalker

Add those to the first round:

Ecco the Dolphin

Castlevania Bloodlines

Space Harrier II

Shining Force

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Toejam and Earl

Comix Zone

Sonic the Hedgehog

Altered Beast

Gunstar Heroes

Some definite must-plays on that list, including some that haven't been re-released. The Disney games and the Konami games are both seeing their first re-release since the 90s, IIRC.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Woah, Sega is definitely taking this thing seriously if they're spending the money to get licenses from Disney and Capcom! Awesome to see Thunder Force III on the list too, that's gotta be my all time favorite horizontal shoot 'em up. Between my two original Genesis system, upcoming Mega Sg purchase, and library of original carts I can't say I'd have much need for a Genesis Mini but it's still awesome to see them really giving this system their all! :)

Woah, Sega is definitely taking this thing seriously if they're spending the money to get licenses from Disney and Capcom! Awesome to see Thunder Force III on the list too, that's gotta be my all time favorite horizontal shoot 'em up. Between my two original Genesis system, upcoming Mega Sg purchase, and library of original carts I can't say I'd have much need for a Genesis Mini but it's still awesome to see them really giving this system their all! :)

Yeah, I mean, I have no reason to buy a Genesis Mini, but I really like that they're making a big effort.

I am soooò buying this. Just need confirmation that the retrobit USB six button controllers will work with it, apparently the Japanese version ships with the six buttons vs the NA release with the three.

And talk about amazing selection of games! This could really set the bar high. They're only 20 games in and already have the majority of games I'd ever want on it! This thing is almost too good to be true.

Edited by atarilovesyou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right.

The Retro-Bit controllers will work, but that's an additional expense ($40 for two controllers). The Japanese mini will only come with one controller, but it's the 6-button version. Not sure why they're not doing that for the western versions.

Right.

The Retro-Bit controllers will work, but that's an additional expense ($40 for two controllers). The Japanese mini will only come with one controller, but it's the 6-button version. Not sure why they're not doing that for the western versions.

not everybody wants a 6 button controller for one game, who knows what the japanese version will have.

even for the american one, doubtful there will be too many other games that use it.

later

Ten more games announced. I don't understand the inclusion of Street Fighter II SCE given that the US version of the mini is coming with 3-button controllers.

http://genesismini.sega.com/

And it's not just an issue of three versus six buttons (though that's the biggie); the Arcade pad's D-pad was basically perfect IMO. The three button wasn't bad, but not as smooth as the Arcade pad for charged moves or Dragon Punch type maneuvering in a hurry.

• Like 1

https://castlemaniagames.com/news-and-updates/f/retro-bit-x-sega-announce-genesis-mini-6-button-usb-controller

Retro-Bit x SEGA announce Genesis Mini 6-button USB controller!!!

May 17, 2019|SEGA Genesis, Retro-Bit

The iconic SEGA Genesis console returns in a slick, miniaturized form along with two classic 3-button control pads... but what about the six button control pad? In partnership with Retro-Bit SEGA is offering an official companion controller that has the genuine look, feel and performance of the original to use with your SEGA Genesis Mini!

Is this the same controller as the Japanese release is getting?

No, the original six button controller released in Japan was smaller than the one released in North America. The Japan release of the Mini will include the smaller six button controller(s) whereas the North American release will include the original three-button.

How is this controller different than the Genesis USB controller Retro-Bit just released?

The USB Genesis controllers that were just released had a few quality of life improvements with the re-positioned mode button and added L/R buttons. The new Genesis Mini version is true to the original design and does have the added benefit of also working with the Nintendo Switch.

Will the USB controllers Retro-Bit just released work on the Genesis Mini?

Yes, both the Genesis and Saturn USB controllers will work with the Genesis Mini.

When are these expected to ship?

These are expected to ship in August 2019 and are available to pre-order here.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 1

So is Retro-Bit / Sega saying in that release that the Saturn-like 8-button Genesis USB controller WILL NOT work with the Genesis mini, or just that they're releasing the Genesis version with a USB plug as well? I hate it when things are vague.

I like the 10 new games, too. Great additions.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I don't see what you're seeing, I think.

Reading "Yes, both the Genesis and Saturn USB controllers will work with the Genesis Mini" to me clearly says that it's compatible. Are you talking about something else that they said, other than the announcement that Defender 2600 posted?

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

The reveal date for the final 10 Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Mini games has been announced, June 4th. With the reveal less than a week away, what games would you guys and gals like to see on the list that haven't been included yet?

I feel like Sega has done a really amazing job licensing almost all the most popular and quite a few "hidden gem" games for the Genesis Mini, but personally there are still 5 games that I'd love to see make the North American game list:

Crusader of Centy

Mortal Kombat

M.U.S.H.A.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Of the 5 I'm hoping for M.U.S.H.A. has already been confirmed for the Japanese Mega Drive list but has been absent from the US game list thus far, so I feel that it's not likely we'll see that one stateside. Sonic 3 & Knuckles has always been my favorite Sonic game so I'd be thrilled to see it make the list, but for some reason (music licensing issues or otherwise) those two games have been absent from most of Sega's recent Genesis compilation releases so I'm not holding out a ton of hope for them being on the Genesis Mini.

The original Mortal Kombat was a real system seller for many 90's kids and was the main reason I talked my parents into getting a Genesis instead of a Super Nintendo back in 1993, but given that it would probably earn the Genesis Mini an M rating from the ESRB and limit sales potential I don't imagine Mortal Kombat will make the cut either; which pretty much just leaves Crusader of Centy as the only reasonably plausible addition from my wants list.

How about you folks? What games are you still hoping to see make the final 10 games list?

Edited by Jin

MUSHA, Revenge of Shinobi... it would be great if they could include a Road Rash game on there, but I don't expect EA to oblige. Ranger X would be cool... it's such a gem. Speedball 2 would be nice, as most other sports games would be impractical due to licensing issues. I've also got a soft spot for the Genesis version of Out Run, and it usually hasn't been featured in any other collections.

MUSHA, Revenge of Shinobi... it would be great if they could include a Road Rash game on there, but I don't expect EA to oblige. Ranger X would be cool... it's such a gem. Speedball 2 would be nice, as most other sports games would be impractical due to licensing issues. I've also got a soft spot for the Genesis version of Out Run, and it usually hasn't been featured in any other collections.

It would be a shame for them to include Ranger-X but not include a 6 button controller with the system...

It would be a shame for them to include Ranger-X but not include a 6 button controller with the system...

They're already including Street Fighter II'... in my opinion it's a lot easier to play Ranger X with three buttons than Street Fighter II'.

Tough to pick 10, but I'll try. :)

Outrun

Outrun 2019

Desert Strike

Roadblasters

Formula One

Mercs

Granada

Twin Cobra

Fire Shark

Vapor Trail

I'm not going for a realistic list here, just a personal wishlist. Outrun 2019 and Mercs are probably the only two with a chance.