IGNORED

Adventure Ponies - Atari XL/XE (64K Required)

Adventure Ponies - Atari XL/XE (64K Required)

SplashScreen.thumb.png.5afb982fd3144c6e2d241ee80084d516.png

gallery_45665_2427_7708.png

Dragon Trouble

gallery_45665_2427_32972.png

Applejack Smack

gallery_45665_2427_29876.png

Oh No! A Hydra

gallery_45665_2427_52702.png

Rainbow Dash-ed

gallery_45665_2427_31371.png

Uh Oh! It's Discord

gallery_45665_2427_2716.png

You Win!

gallery_45665_2427_38538.png

Requires 64K

This is a WIP and still being tested and optimized.

* Current Version *

----------------- 0.90 -----------------

- Adjusted the volume of sound effects/level music so the music doesn't drown out the sound effects.

advponies.0.90.xex

advponies.0.90.atr

* Manual *

After it boots into the NEON program, choose (R) for read, and the press enter when it asked for the filespec.  

Use the joystick to navigate links.

Manual.atr

* Older  Versions * 

----------------- 0.89 -----------------

- Replaced the old sound fx with new sound fx created by  @Synthpopalooza.

- Added the new tune to the Pony Select screen (Cutie Mark Crusaders Go Crusading).

- Other changes to sound code so NTSC/PAL versions play at the same speed.

- Changes to scoring.  If you can beat the game with a Pony without losing any lives, get a bonus 9000 points for "PERFECT GAME".

advponies.0.89.xex

advponies.0.89.atr

----------------- 0.88 -----------------

- Replaced the old music with new music created by the talented @Synthpopalooza .  There is another tune, that I couldn't fit but I will try to fit it in another update.

advponies.0.88.xex

advponies.0.88.atr

----------------- 0.87 -----------------

- Disable BASIC automatically, so the player doesn't have to hold down the [OPTION] key when booting.

advponies.0.87.xex

advponies.0.87.atr

----------------- 0.86 -----------------

- Added splash screen by Kaz at atarionline.pl, adjusted music volume

advponies.0.86.xex

advponies.0.86.atr

----------------- 0.85 -----------------

- Added the ability to turn the music on/off.  On the "Select Pony" screen, press the [OPTION] key to toggle music on or off.

advponies.0.85.xex

advponies.0.85.atr

----------------- 0.84 -----------------

- Added background music to the game. (Stage tune and Enemy tune)

advponies.0.84.xex

advponies.0.84.atr

----------------- 0.83 -----------------

- Modified the Pony Select Screen to show Locked as well as Unlocked characters.

advponies.0.83.xex

advponies.0.83.atr

----------------- 0.82 -----------------

- Rewrite of all the animation code from C to assembly. This has improved game performance quite a bit.

advponies.0.82.xex

advponies.0.82.atr

----------------- 0.81 -----------------
- Optimization and refactoring of code. The game has improved performance especially on the Hydra level.
advponies.0.81.xex

advponies.0.81.atr

----------------- 0.80 -----------------
Original release

advponies.0.80.xex

advponies.080.atr

Edited by Gibstov
Added manuak
  • Like 14

Nice game so far. Thanks for sharing.

A suggestion about the control scheme: using down to fire while moving is a bit frustrating. If you can switch shoot laser to be the <button> and teleport to be <down>, I think it would be better.

Thanks.

I originally considered using the button for shooting, and down for the special ability. But since this is a port of an existing game, I decided to keep the controls the same as the original game.

Edited by Gibstov

I originally considered using the button for shooting, and down for the special ability. But since this is a port of an existing game, I decided to keep the controls the same as the original game.

OK. How about offering it as an alternate control scheme? The original does allow for the <S> key (along with <A>, <W>, <D> for directionals) to be used, rather than <down>.

It is being used by the combined Missile color that makes up the mane/tail of the pony. It changes color as she moves vertically.

OK, I see; but it's a big sacrifice to lose one color for the whole display.

You could still use your combined missiles and find some medium ground with the playfield.

I came up with this. I really don't think it sacrifices much for the looks of the pony.

The 4th/5th color would need to be dark brown & white, in this case.

post-6369-0-56178200-1553993179_thumb.png

• Like 1

OK, I see; but it's a big sacrifice to lose one color for the whole display.

You could still use your combined missiles and find some medium ground with the playfield.

I came up with this. I really don't think it sacrifices much for the looks of the pony.

The 4th/5th color would need to be dark brown & white, in this case.

attachicon.gifponies 2 (scaled).png

That does look a lot nicer, however it won't work with Rainbow Dash, or any of the other ponies as their manes are all different colors.

• Like 1

That does look a lot nicer, however it won't work with Rainbow Dash, or any of the other ponies as their manes are all different colors.

I guess I'd be satisfied just to have the ponies change colors; but everybody has their own design concerns.

As I said, it's coming along well. Carry on...

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I think from viewpoint of fans, it's all about the ponies. With that in mind I understand the focus on the ponies looking like and having the distinctive colors that identify them. Probably a way to have it all though... once it gets optimized and the loops are in machine language it might leave time to draw some of it

We were enjoying it as is though. :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I guess I'd be satisfied just to have the ponies change colors; but everybody has their own design concerns.

As I said, it's coming along well. Carry on...

Thanks. There are also some other things I do with the missiles that kind of require a change in color too. For instance Pinkie's party canon, or AJs hat.

• Like 2

I think from viewpoint of fans, it's all about the ponies. With that in mind I understand the focus on the ponies looking like and having the distinctive colors that identify them. Probably a way to have it all though... once it gets optimized and the loops are in machine language it might leave time to draw some of it

We were enjoying it as is though. :)

Awesome, thanks. One idea that I did have, but its kind of a bridge to far now, is where you switch fonts every VBI and use dithering to gain extra colors. (The name of this method escapes me at the moment).

However, I am completely out of memory right now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to version 0.81

-Refactored and optimized the code. I noticed a big performance increase, especially on the Hydra level.

Kaz, from atarionline.pl sent me an awesome splash screen, I haven't been able to incorporate it yet though.

Find the new version posted in the original post.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to version 0.82

Another small update to this project. I finished rewriting all the player animation code from C to assembly.

I have freed up some memory so I hope to improve the graphics and maybe add some background music. Kaz sent me a cool splash screen that I want to incorporate. I am also planning on adding more background graphics.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hmmm,

how do you select one of the available Ponies ?!? There are four or five different ones available I think, but I can only select them right now (on real A8) when I move the joystick "in circles" (up, right, down, left, up, right... after a while of doing so, I can then select different Ponies) - is this intentional or is there another way to do it ? (Tried Start, Select, Option and Help, joy left and joy right, but they do not seem to activate another Pony...)

Edited by CharlieChaplin

On 7/7/2019 at 11:11 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

how do you select one of the available Ponies ?!? There are four or five different ones available I think, but I can only select them right now (on real A8) when I move the joystick "in circles" (up, right, down, left, up, right... after a while of doing so, I can then select different Ponies) - is this intentional or is there another way to do it ? (Tried Start, Select, Option and Help, joy left and joy right, but they do not seem to activate another Pony...)

The only pony available when you start the game is Twilight, and you unlock the others after you beat the game with the current pony. Beat it with Twilight you get Rainbow.  Beat it with Dash you get Applejack, etc.

If you have unlocked the ponies, you should be able to select the ponies using Left and Right on the joystick on the Pony Select screen.  If you can't then this is definitely a bug,  I need to look into.

(Oh and as The_Doctor says above, you have to tap the joystick left or right, you can't hold it in the direction. )

Edited by Gibstov
clarifying joystick movement.

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

push stick to the left and release or the right and release to select ponies one at a time.

but I had an issue during pony select... I pressed keyboard arrow keys just as a test and the greater than less than keys.... I crashed it!

Hmm...I need to test this on my Atari when I get home.