IGNORED

Adventure Ponies - Atari XL/XE (64K Required)

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I unlocked and played all the ponies 3x times in a row just because I could... fluttershy took a few minutes to get used to, not to close and not too far with that stare!

Yeah that stare distance with the barriers is a little tricky, so about that.  Fluttershy is a little overpowered otherwise, but she was OP in the original game as well. Though I tend to lose a bunch of lives with her on the last level where you have to fly under the spikes.

3 hours ago, Gibstov said:

The only pony available when you start the game is Twilight, and you unlock the others after you beat the game with the current pony. Beat it with Twilight you get Rainbow.  Beat it with Dash you get Applejack, etc.

If you have unlocked the ponies, you should be able to select the ponies using Left and Right on the joystick on the Pony Select screen.  If you can't then this is definitely a bug,  I need to look into.

(Oh and as The_Doctor says above, you have to tap the joystick left or right, you can't hold it in the direction. )

Oh, I see. I have not beaten the game yet, so I should only get Twilight. The message "select pony" got me thinking I could select between various ponies right from the start and so I started to hit keys and wondered why nothing seemed to work. Well, except moving the joystick in circles, it takes a while (have to do it several times), but suddenly all ponies are unlocked... looks like I found another bug or a nice cheat... ?

3 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Oh, I see. I have not beaten the game yet, so I should only get Twilight. The message "select pony" got me thinking I could select between various ponies right from the start and so I started to hit keys and wondered why nothing seemed to work. Well, except moving the joystick in circles, it takes a while (have to do it several times), but suddenly all ponies are unlocked... looks like I found another bug or a nice cheat... ?

There is a way to unlock all the ponies on the select screen ?.  Maybe you have discovered it ?.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:52 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

push stick to the left and release or the right and release to select ponies one at a time.

but I had an issue during pony select... I pressed keyboard arrow keys just as a test and the greater than less than keys.... I crashed it!

I tested this on my 130XE and I could reproduce this error.  Not sure what is actually causing it.  I don't know about your experience, but just pressing the arrow keys wouldn't cause the computer to crash. However, quickly tapping the arrow keys would eventually cause the game to crash.  However, I could not reproduce the bug in Altirra, which makes it more difficult to troubleshoot.

The code on the select screen is not reading the keyboard in anyway, so I am not sure what would be causing this.

I do find the good ones ;)

KBCODE (Keyboard Code)(09) This address reads the Keyboard Code, and is usually read in response to a Keyboard Interrupt (IRQ and bits 6 or 7 of IRQST). See IRQEN for information on enabling keyboard interrupts. See SKCTL bits 1 and 0 for key scan and debounce enable.

just an excerpt of where to start looking. something might need be turned off. is an IRQ getting in the way of your display sort of thing

I could be wrong of course... since I didn't dive in but that's what came to mind. Look in that area and what's active when the selection screen is up...     see what's fighting, or running long/out of time too great when mashing those keys.

whatever gets found can be off when needed an on again when not. I had a job breaking games, so I always find the weirdest stuff.

just to be tricky you could also you could turn basic off during your hint screen for those who forget to hold option down,

once the hint screen and basic off performed their function all of that stuff can be over written if memory gets tight.

Yes foks, _The Doctor__ has Rainbow Crashed the Pony Party...     but don't fear...  once it's licked, we will enjoy a celebration with AppleJack! (proper attire suggested but not required for those of you with kids!)

Edited by _The Doctor__

hey, if you suspended or don't use the pause function for or during intermission/selection screens, what if you leave it on or implement it those screens? I might it resolve the crash?...

I've given some ideas, I might start with this then brush up on or with others

Edited by _The Doctor__

23 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I do find the good ones ;)

KBCODE (Keyboard Code)(09) This address reads the Keyboard Code, and is usually read in response to a Keyboard Interrupt (IRQ and bits 6 or 7 of IRQST). See IRQEN for information on enabling keyboard interrupts. See SKCTL bits 1 and 0 for key scan and debounce enable.

just an excerpt of where to start looking. something might need be turned off. is an IRQ getting in the way of your display sort of thing

I could be wrong of course... since I didn't dive in but that's what came to mind. Look in that area and what's active when the selection screen is up...     see what's fighting, or running long/out of time too great when mashing those keys.

whatever gets found can be off when needed an on again when not. I had a job breaking games, so I always find the weirdest stuff.

just to be tricky you could also you could turn basic off during your hint screen for those who forget to hold option down,

once the hint screen and basic off performed their function all of that stuff can be over written if memory gets tight.

Yes foks, _The Doctor__ has Rainbow Crashed the Pony Party...     but don't fear...  once it's licked, we will enjoy a celebration with AppleJack! (proper attire suggested but not required for those of you with kids!)

I worked on this a little last night and thought I had it fixed, but I just wasn't pounding the "< CLEAR" quickly and fast enough.  So, it still crashes if you quickly start repeatedly pressing the "CLEAR" key on the Select Pony screen.

So the code on the Select Pony screen isn't reading the keyboard at all, it is just reading the Joystick.  The only other code running is the DLI that changes the colors of Playfield 4 and Player 3, every line (for the ponies mane/enemy).  This DLI is very tight, as far as time goes, especially during game play with both scroll registers activated.  So I am thinking maybe quickly pounding on a key, may be causing the DLI to crash??? (Well technically I have a VBI running too)

Having said all that, I think this bug priority is very low.  If the game crashes because someone repeatedly hits a key on the select screen, then stop doing that, use the joystick instead.

I think the root cause of this issue is that it isn't clear that the only pony available when you start the game is Twilight.  So people thinking there must be a way to select a character, starts hitting all the keys on the keyboard.  In the original game, on the select screen it had padlocks for the unlocked characters, so the player could see that there were more characters but they aren't available.  So I may look at a way to make it clearer that you have to unlock the other characters.

Edited by Gibstov

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Added a new version 0.83. There was some confusion on how to select the other ponies other than Twilight, and it wasn't clear that the other ponies needed to be unlocked.  So I added both Locked as well as Unlocked characters to the Select Pony Screen.

Locked Character

large.Dash_Locked.png.538358138e31db68e9636d3178928364.png

Unlocked Character

large.Dash_Unlocked.png.a36dca23479bab72ffac95e212684e6b.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2019 at 6:13 AM, Gibstov said:

Awesome, thanks. One idea that I did have, but its kind of a bridge to far now, is where you switch fonts every VBI and use dithering to gain extra colors. (The name of this method escapes me at the moment).

However, I am completely out of memory right now.

Super IRG ... which works, but flickers in PAL plus you have to scroll at 30 fps or the effect doesn't work.  14 colors usable and peteym uses it a lot on his video 61 games to good effect.

15 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

How is development going on this game? It's been fun to follow progress thus far and hope the finished product isn't too far off! Would you consider selling it in the AtariAge Store? I'm sure Albert would be interested.

I am still working on it.  I am adding music right now, and have the tune for the regular stages done (it is a mix of the extended MLP theme and the show opening theme), and now I am starting to work on the tune that it will play during the boss battle.

I am thinking about using the beginning of Schubert No.8 unfinished symphony. (It was in Thunder Castle and the Smurfs TV show whenever they showed Gargamel.)

https://youtu.be/uWnKMzAedK4

Or I also found the sheet music for "Better Way to Be Bad" from the show, so maybe use part of it.

https://youtu.be/wVr_zimvmHE?t=00m46s

Or maybe try to use part of This Day Aria

https://youtu.be/UzsxfO7dBlA

So, I hope to be making an update this weekend with music :). Not sure if it will have the boss music in it, or just the regular stage music.

I am hoping to have the project wrapped by the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, or the Series Finale of MLP ?. (Both which happen the same weekend).

Edited by Gibstov
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Super IRG ... which works, but flickers in PAL plus you have to scroll at 30 fps or the effect doesn't work.  14 colors usable and peteym uses it a lot on his video 61 games to good effect.

Yeah, I did actually try to use SuperIRG to get more colors, and it was a flickering mess. (I didn't like the look of it).

28 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

To get a good look you have to checkerboard the graphics instead of full frame changes.  It can be hard to do, plus it looks rubbish on a PAL system.  And if you scroll you have to do it half-speed.

I tried doing the checkerboard/dithering, and thought it would kind of blend in. But even at 60fps, I could still see the checkerboard. (I guess I drink to much coffee :)).

5 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Yes ... well, you gotta choose the colors right too.  Anything more than a couple of luma steps and you're in trouble.  It can be a headache unless you're one of the lucky ones to have a modern LCD TV that blends frames.

Ah, OK, I didn't realize that about the colors. 

I find the trick easier to pull off on a 7800, or an XL/XE/8-bit with the Sophia upgrade ... because of the 16 step luma.  You still have to be careful tho.  Also, rely heavily on your primary nonflickers, use the extra ones sparingly.

Somewhere on here is a demo I did for Rainbow Islands which uses this effect surprisingly well.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Music is nice - but errmmm, whenever you add background music to a game, also add a key (or key-combo) to switch it off...  ;-)   (Maybe you already did and I just did not find that key...)

Update 0.85

Added the ability to turn the music on/off.  On the "Select Pony" screen, press the [OPTION] key to toggle music on or off.

Have fun :)

--Find it in the original post on this thread --

• Like 1