IGNORED

Adventure Ponies - Atari XL/XE (64K Required)

On 7/7/2019 at 10:11 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

how do you select one of the available Ponies ?!? There are four or five different ones available I think, but I can only select them right now (on real A8) when I move the joystick "in circles" (up, right, down, left, up, right... after a while of doing so, I can then select different Ponies) - is this intentional or is there another way to do it ? (Tried Start, Select, Option and Help, joy left and joy right, but they do not seem to activate another Pony...)

I think you found the trick to unlock the other ponies.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gibstov said:

Cool...I was hoping people would figure it out ?

Just to make it clear: is there an exact ammount of moves/circles to be made in order to activate the trick? Should these "circle" moves made clockwise or counter clockwise? I'm trying to reproduce it in the emulator (Altirra) and seems no use at all.

1 hour ago, Yautja said:

Just to make it clear: is there an exact ammount of moves/circles to be made in order to activate the trick? Should these "circle" moves made clockwise or counter clockwise? I'm trying to reproduce it in the emulator (Altirra) and seems no use at all.

Spoiler

Hold down [HELP] key and tap up on the joystick. Then repeat for each of the ponies.

Edited by Gibstov
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Music is nice - but errmmm, whenever you add background music to a game, also add a key (or key-combo) to switch it off...  ;-)   (Maybe you already did and I just did not find that key...)

If only David Crane had given us that sanity option in Pitfall 2!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yautja said:

Strange. It doesn't work in Altirra...

It works in Altirra for me, though I don't have the latest version of Altirra, I can check later on when I get home, but just to be sure, here are the full steps.

Spoiler

On the "Select Pony" screen, hold the the [HELP] (F6 in Altirra) and press "UP" on the joystick, this should unlock Rainbow Dash.  Release the [HELP] button, now hold down the [HELP] button again, and press "UP", this should unlock Applejack, etc.

Just now, Gibstov said:

It works in Altirra for me, though I don't have the latest version of Altirra, I can check later on when I get home, but just to be sure, here are the full steps.

Hide contents

On the "Select Pony" screen, hold the [HELP] (F6 in Altirra) and press "UP" on the joystick, this should unlock Rainbow Dash.  Release the [HELP] button, now hold down the [HELP] button again, and press "UP", this should unlock Applejack, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
34 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

How are our ponies?

Any new developments?

Sorry there hasn't been an update to this lately.  The main loop of the program is still written in C, and I started to port/re-write that in assembly.  But, I have been working from home, during the current situation, so I had to unhook the computer that I had been working on to setup my work computer.

There are still some things I would like to do. 

• I added music, but I am not 100% satisfied with it and I am kind of out of my element on that front. 
  • I would also like to make a cartridge version of the game, or at least get it working on the Max Flash Cart.
  • I was also thinking about adding Princess Twilight to the game.  The idea would be if you made it all the way through the game with all 6 ponies, then it would unlock/replace Twilight with Princess Twilight. (She would have both the unicorn shooting ability, and the pegasus flying ability.  She wouldn't have/need the teleport ability, and would be treated as a pegasus as far as the game is concerned.)

But it may still be a few months before I can get back to it.  I also was considering putting the code up on GitHub.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gibstov said:

Sorry there hasn't been an update to this lately.  The main loop of the program is still written in C, and I started to port/re-write that in assembly.  But, I have been working from home, during the current situation, so I had to unhook the computer that I had been working on to setup my work computer.

There are still some things I would like to do. 

• I added music, but I am not 100% satisfied with it and I am kind of out of my element on that front. 
  • I would also like to make a cartridge version of the game, or at least get it working on the Max Flash Cart.
  • I was also thinking about adding Princess Twilight to the game.  The idea would be if you made it all the way through the game with all 6 ponies, then it would unlock/replace Twilight with Princess Twilight. (She would have both the unicorn shooting ability, and the pegasus flying ability.  She wouldn't have/need the teleport ability, and would be treated as a pegasus as far as the game is concerned.)

But it may still be a few months before I can get back to it.  I also was considering putting the code up on GitHub.

Was the game written in C originally?

why the decision to move to assembly? Gain speed? Gain performance ?

you can use inline asm in c for slow parts 

but from what I am experiencing in the wonderboy game which is written in C , speed and performance are very good (I am using CC65)

3 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

Was the game written in C originally?

why the decision to move to assembly? Gain speed? Gain performance ?

you can use inline asm in c for slow parts 

but from what I am experiencing in the wonderboy game which is written in C , speed and performance are very good (I am using CC65)

Yeah, the whole game was originally written in C, except for the DLI and VBI.  But it was sluggish but it still ran OK.  You can see the difference by trying the original advponies.0.80.xex vs. the later advponies.0.87.xex. (In the original post).

Also the size of the executable also reduced in size when I started converting it to assembly, allowing me to add more things.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 3:51 PM, Gibstov said:

Yeah, the whole game was originally written in C, except for the DLI and VBI.  But it was sluggish but it still ran OK.  You can see the difference by trying the original advponies.0.80.xex vs. the later advponies.0.87.xex. (In the original post).

Also the size of the executable also reduced in size when I started converting it to assembly, allowing me to add more things.

well, i ran v.080 and v.087 and for some reason to me, 0.80 is much faster than 0.87.... weird....

40 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

well, i ran v.080 and v.087 and for some reason to me, 0.80 is much faster than 0.87.... weird....

I just ran it again, and I still think 0.87 is a tad faster, but it is pretty close.  But 0.87 also has music added where the original didn't so not sure what the original speed would be if it was playing music as well.  But there is a noticable size difference when I started rewriting it in assembly over the C version.  But then again, since the algorithm is recoded to be in asm instead C, I took some short cuts that maybe the C compiler wouldn't have known...if that makes any sense. 

4 minutes ago, Gibstov said:

I just ran it again, and I still think 0.87 is a tad faster, but it is pretty close.  But 0.87 also has music added where the original didn't so not sure what the original speed would be if it was playing music as well.  But there is a noticable size difference when I started rewriting it in assembly over the C version.  But then again, since the algorithm is recoded to be in asm instead C, I took some short cuts that maybe the C compiler wouldn't have known...if that makes any sense. 

did you use asm just for the music part?

music can be supported also in CC65 , well not straight forward, but still easily supported... 

i use RMT and SFX in my wonderboy game all in C (with some asm annotations)

11 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

did you use asm just for the music part?

music can be supported also in CC65 , well not straight forward, but still easily supported... 

i use RMT and SFX in my wonderboy game all in C (with some asm annotations)

No, I wrote the code for music in asm...music was a late addition after I started converting parts of it to asm. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 1:48 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

How are our ponies?

Any new developments?

New version 0.88

Added a new version of Adventure Ponies.  I replaced the old music with new music created by the talented @Synthpopalooza.  There is another tune, that I couldn't fit but I will try to fit it in another update.  Hope you all enjoy the new tunes. ?

----- Find it in the original post of this thread ----

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

New version 0.89

New version of Adventure Ponies is available.  I replaced the old sound effects with new sound effects by @Synthpopalooza.  He also updated some of the existing music as well as adding a new tune for the Pony Select Screen.  I also added some changes to scoring.  If you can beat the game with a Pony without losing a life, you get extra points for a "Perfect Game".

Hope everyone enjoys ?

----- Find it in the original post of this thread ----

• Like 1