IGNORED

double-checking my understanding of cartridge port pin numbers

ppelleti

Just wanted to double-check that my understanding of pin numbers on the cartridge port (see attached photos) is correct, based on the pin numbering given here:

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Cartridge_Port

In particular, the pin numbers seem to have the opposite "chirality" of the pin numbering given on this data sheet for a modern card edge connector:

http://www.edac.net/dat/files/109.pdf

(middle of the second page on the PDF)

So, to have a footprint I can use for plugging in an Intellivision cartridge, I need to swap the even and odd pins from what is shown in the datasheet, correct?

I just wanted a second set of eyes to double-check my conclusions, because I've managed to confuse myself about this before, and I'd rather not fry a cartridge if I can help it. Thanks!

post-65667-0-93771800-1553969183_thumb.jpg

post-65667-0-66228100-1553969271_thumb.jpg

I think the labels in the photos are correct. The numbering has to match the old Mattel schematics. Keep in mind that the original intellivision main board is installed upside down. The cartridge loopback/rainbow lines should be facing up. Anyone knows what happens if you insert a cartridge upsidedown.

Edited by mr_me

I think the labels in the photos are correct. The numbering has to match the old Mattel schematics. Keep in mind that the original intellivision main board is installed upside down. The cartridge loopback/rainbow lines should be facing up. Anyone knows what happens if you insert a cartridge upsidedown.

Having done this accidentally several times now, "not much." I thankfully have not damaged the unit or any board I've plugged in backward. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Just wanted to double-check that my understanding of pin numbers on the cartridge port (see attached photos) is correct, based on the pin numbering given here:

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=Cartridge_Port

In particular, the pin numbers seem to have the opposite "chirality" of the pin numbering given on this data sheet for a modern card edge connector:

http://www.edac.net/dat/files/109.pdf

(middle of the second page on the PDF)

So, to have a footprint I can use for plugging in an Intellivision cartridge, I need to swap the even and odd pins from what is shown in the datasheet, correct?

I just wanted a second set of eyes to double-check my conclusions, because I've managed to confuse myself about this before, and I'd rather not fry a cartridge if I can help it. Thanks!

Yes, your images look correct. Note that cartridges go "component side up."

I don't know why the Wiki has such small versions of these images. They're from my old Intellivision tech page. It appears they took the thumbnails rather than the full size pics:

cart_top.png

cart_bot.png

I always mark pin 2 on my board designs. You can see it down in the lower right corner of my JLP03, JLP04 and LTO Flash boards.

jlp_03_and_04.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, some of us have inserted our LTO! Flash cartridges upside down without causing any apparent damage to either the cartridge or console. Once you've made the mistake though, you are likely to put a label on the cartridge shell, in particular if you don't use it daily.

Edited by carlsson